A moment of silence for Downing's career

Spoony

Yeah I believe the proper term is 'long ball' if it's a hopeful ball and it becomes 'direct football' if it actually lands on a friendly head.

Going back briefly to 'plop's losses.  It's now £49m lost on Downing, Carroll, Adam & Aquilani.  Noice!

would take young back not this twerp

I would never take Young back in a month of Sundays after what he did to us. Cheating piece of disrespectful s**t. I hope his career crumbles and burns under Moyes.

• Like 2

Yeah I believe the proper term is 'long ball' if it's a hopeful ball and it becomes 'direct football' if it actually lands on a friendly head.

Going back briefly to 'plop's losses.  It's now £49m lost on Downing, Carroll, Adam & Aquilani.  Noice!

That's just a staggering figure! It's almost like they were TRYING to waste money. Everyone else could see it from a mile off.

So are West Ham just doing what Liverpool were trying to do then? I.e. kick the ball into Carroll's stupid face and hope it goes in?

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

Apart from Gerrard, he was the 2nd highest fantasy scorer for Liverpool last season.  So he wasn't as bad as our blinkers might make out.  Granted the likes of Coutinho with a full season would've caught him no problem, but I think at £5m he's great value for the Hammers.  We know what he's capable of and on his day he's a £20m player so if the Shammers can get a fraction of what he can do then they'll have a good player on their hands.

more than suarez ?

• Like 1

I wonder if Liverpool are subsiding any of the Downing's wages like they are for Joe Cole's as Downing doesn't strike me as someone who would take paycut.

If I were him I wouldn't. Because it seems like he's still good enough to play a part for Liverpool. Not like the other winger options are great.

Putting the way he left us to one side for a moment, I think at £5m thats actually a good deal for West Ham.

4 year mega wage contract for a 29 yeard old?  The fee may be decent but the contract length / value does not make this a good deal. Must be on at least 50K pw,  maybe even 60k.  That's  £17M in wages and fee they have pissed up the wall just there on what will be zero return by the time his contract expires

Mega wage contract :lol: Have you been on mars for the last 10 years?

£50k per week for an England International who may well find himself on the plane to Rio next summer if he has a good season is not a lot of wages at all.

Nobody recoups the wages they pay on a player. The transfer fee of course will never come back, but £5m these days is practically nothing so no big loss there.

This is a decent bit of business for the spammers. He's been a very good PL player for the best part of a decade, its practically risk free.

Apart from Gerrard, he was the 2nd highest fantasy scorer for Liverpool last season.  So he wasn't as bad as our blinkers might make out.  Granted the likes of Coutinho with a full season would've caught him no problem, but I think at £5m he's great value for the Hammers.  We know what he's capable of and on his day he's a £20m player so if the Shammers can get a fraction of what he can do then they'll have a good player on their hands.

more than suarez ?

Doh, my bad. That was supposed to say "2nd highest fantasy scoring midfielder". Proof-read fail.

Really good signing for West Ham, this. Not sure about giving him a 4 year contract, but he may not have signed for any less.

Their style of football is incredibly dull, but I think they'll have a good season. Would expect them to finish among the frontrunners of the chasing pack (i.e. 7th onwards)

Average player who had good technique but no pace or ability to go past a player. Too slow and pedestrian to play on the wing effectively and too scared of physical contact and tackling to play in midfield.

Â