Paul Lambert's fans forum August 5th

lainux

The bits I remember more clearly:

1) Marque signings are not something Villa are going to do - that's unrealistic

2) PL says that there is an argument for youth vs experience but the way he approaches it is to use young hungry players (suggesting he won't go for experienced/older players "they struggled the year before")

3) Believes Petrov 19th minute thing has had it's time and could even be a distraction BUT that it has to come from Petrov himself

4) Lowest point was Chelsea 8-0

5) Biggest regret was 'something' in the Bradford game - would have been interesting to be pushed

6) He hasn't heard of the 'bomb squad' but tries to treat everyone fairly so is just going with the squad he feels he will be working with all season (Given is a model pro - yet still not training with 1st team)

7) He may look to buying more players but who knows "never say never"

8) Kiyotake was looked at but no offer made - inquired only

9) He has not set a target for next year

10) When the time comes he'll look at his own contract with Paul and Randy

11) He considers last year a bit of a failure but not completely - they didn't do as well as he expected.

12) From February onwards he was happy with how the team progressed

13) He has a rough idea of the starting XI for Arsenal

14) The team against Malaga will not necessarily be the starting XI for Arsenal

15) If players want to leave for bigger clubs then you kind of can't get in their way

16) Grealish isn't ready for the first team and needs to go out on loan if that's possible

17) Won't give squad numbers to kids as it risks making them think they've arrived

18) Kids have it too easy anyway

More as it comes to me...

He also mentioned that the worst part of the job was having to speak with Tom Ross :P

The guys on our table thought maybe he was talking about Ireland? But looking back on the match report, he didn't make any subs at HT, and Ireland played the full game. We'll probably never know!

The mistake he made was probably that he left Ireland on the pitch. He maybe thought if we had of turned it around and Ireland had an influence in the game that he might of started coming good. Ah well guess we will never know

That's quite a reach. It sounds far more interesting than a tactical decision. 

We will probably never know, but the fact is that Ireland did not play one minute after the Bradford match. Before that, he had been on the pitch in 17 matches.

not saying that Lambert is bomb proof.... but IMO discussing his one or two **** ups , when there are so many things he is doing right seems a tad disrespectful/ungrateful to me.

He will make mistakes, but showcasing them is a distraction.

not saying that Lambert is bomb proof.... but IMO discussing his one or two **** ups , when there are so many things he is doing right seems a tad disrespectful/ungrateful to me.

They were brought up by PL himself. The majority of tonight was extremely positive. Tom Ross (word removed) even called it a 'love-in'

We will probably never know, but the fact is that Ireland did not play one minute after the Bradford match. Before that, he had been on the pitch in 17 matches.

I remember in the Bradford game the team's play fell apart when he subbed Bannan, and we started playing hoofball.

Perhaps that moment caused a rift between Bannan and Lambert, Bannan showing dissent?

I remember in the Bradford game the team's play fell apart when he subbed Bannan, and we started playing hoofball.

Perhaps that moment caused a rift between Bannan and Lambert, Bannan showing dissent?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Con. That's exactly what Lambert was referring to as his biggest regret, Translated it means he is so desperately sorry that he failed to knock Bannan out at half time with a heat map & grade 3 hoof chart :P;):)

This is honestly a brilliant comment. I don't think Con was trolling in the Bannan thread, cause I think he genuinely believed what he was saying, but now he is. This is just flawless trolling. What was Lambert's biggest mistake? Subbing Bannan! I wouldn't have thought of putting that myself. Genius.

As others have said he brought them up himself, plus, do you really think Lambert is the one to focus on the positives? I picture him as a guy obsessing over the negatives, anything he's done wrong, until it's perfected. He's not just gonna say, "Well, I cut the wage bill, we stayed up, cup semi, fine with me." I imagine he's one of the most self critical people in football.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the forum very much, admit was bit annoyed at the fact I couldn't record the Q and A for my freelance journalism work, but remembered most of the notes and picked up the rest, the important bits, from here and Twitter:)

Lambert comes across as a very modest, honest and humorous man, doesn't pretend to be something he isn't, just tells it how it is. Appreciated his honestly regarding mistakes last season e.g. Bradford in the League Cup and has me solidly convinced that he is the best man to lead Villa to future success. 

Going to enjoy writing my summary of the night in the morning :)

Plus I've no opinion on Bannan #warningpoints

Edited by Avflife
  • Like 3

I seem to remember some rumour after the Bradford game that in the tunnel Lambert was apoplectic and said of a player that he was useless and wanted to kill him and it was thought to be Stephen Ireland who has not played for the first team since?

You never know, he may have been thinking how he stuck with Given in the Bradford games, one goal at least really was poor on Shays part*. Just a thought.

*I like the bloke and wanted to stick with him in the cup games too, but it was probably a mistake.

Alternatively Lambert could feel bad about shouting at a player and blaming him unfairly for the result?

I guess we will never know.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

If he did indeed threaten to kill Ireland that would probably be what it is about.

Can't blame him though. I'd have said worse to Ireland at some points during his time here if he happened to be in close vicinity to me after the games.

Â