Paul Lambert's fans forum August 5th

lainux

This whole Dortmund model runs soo much deeper than just buyin a few young players and Lambert won't be able to do anything by his own.

If we are to follow in the footsteps of Dortmund it will have to be through Lerner reshaping the whole club.

Of course. The philosophy must be bought into from top to bottom. But I happen to think it has been. It's extremely fortunate (and not entirely co-incidental) for Lerner that this philosophy happens to mean smaller transfer fees and smaller wages and that Lambert has been honed by his time under a similar system. It's why I think Lerner/Lambert is a match made in heaven and long may it continue.
  • Like 1

Where do you see you and the club in 3 years time- still together? Can we really compete at the top with our budget? And describe last season in one sentence?

Might be worth expanding a bit - what are the limitations of this squad and the resources available to him? Top Half? Carling Cup? FA Cup? Europe? Champions League? World dominance?

• Like 1

This whole Dortmund model runs soo much deeper than just buyin a few young players and Lambert won't be able to do anything by his own.

If we are to follow in the footsteps of Dortmund it will have to be through Lerner reshaping the whole club.

Of course. The philosophy must be bought into from top to bottom. But I happen to think it has been. It's extremely fortunate (and not entirely co-incidental) for Lerner that this philosophy happens to mean smaller transfer fees and smaller wages and that Lambert has been honed by his time under a similar system. It's why I think Lerner/Lambert is a match made in heaven and long may it continue.

When Lambert was at Dortmund they were the best team in the world and spending huge amounts of money they really didn't have on top class players, then they did a Leeds and almost imploded. But is guess what you mean is that Lambert worked with a small budget in Norwich and his other lower league clubs so fair enough.

Thanks to installing people with very good football knowledge in every part of the club ( Michael Zork, Hans-J Watzke, Klopp... ) not through as much great scouting as great development of players thank to a special u19-u23 academy and a 1000 other things Dortmund turned it around in a spectacular way.

Lambert can't be expected to do all these things for us and atm i don't think we have no way near skilled/clever/knowledgeable enogh people at the club to pull this off.

Edit: Yeah and sorry for going off topic

Edited by sne

My list of questions so far, all being hopefully recorded on my dictaphone for my freelance journalist purposes:

1) After signing 6 players so far in the transfer window what is Villa's aim this season; top half, qualify for Europe or another MON venture for the top 4??

2) Is it expected that any more signings will be coming through the gates of Bodymoor Heath, maybe a number 10??

3) Are we going to be seeing the same formations (4-3-3 and maybe 4-4-2) next season or another experiment with them?? Might even mentioned that disaster that was the 3-5-2 formation, remember Wigan 3-0 at home I do  :blush:

Surely the 'Bomb Squad' will be mentioned by someone, can't see it not being mentioned tbh.

I think the Dortmund model is a little inaccurate. They get 75,000 and are the biggest supported club in Germany. We get about 35,000 and about the 10th biggest supported club in England. But yeah if it means getting in some diamonds on the cheap and doing well I am all for it.

Interesting though all your views are :wacko: on what the Dortmund model is and who is or isnt doing it, the point was I thought it would be interesting to hear the Managers view as to if it was a deliberate effort to follow that philosophy specifically and how and to what extent he would, if he was. :)

Must agree that anyone asking questions about signings or the defence etc will be wasting their opportunity.

My list of questions so far, all being hopefully recorded on my dictaphone for my freelance journalist purposes:

1) After signing 6 players so far in the transfer window what is Villa's aim this season; top half, qualify for Europe or another MON venture for the top 4??

2) Is it expected that any more signings will be coming through the gates of Bodymoor Heath, maybe a number 10??

3) Are we going to be seeing the same formations (4-3-3 and maybe 4-4-2) next season or another experiment with them?? Might even mentioned that disaster that was the 3-5-2 formation, remember Wigan 3-0 at home I do  :blush:

Surely the 'Bomb Squad' will be mentioned by someone, can't see it not being mentioned tbh.

Stoke are doing free transport to away games ... Where the fk's ours !?!? :D

• Like 1

Pfft, shorthand of GTFO ;)

Edited by Ginko

Â