Manchester United

BOF

I don't think they'll win it but they're in the race imo, got a good run of home games for second half of the season and whether they were lucky or not the 3 wins they've ground out tonight and v us and Wolves is the sort of run you need to do to be a serious contender and they were winning plenty before that aswell.

Still seems to me people just dismiss it because it's OGS. Man. United really weren't that much better in the league under Mourinho in terms of performances and results. In 16/17 they only actually finished 6th on 69 points which they should beat comfortably this season and next year they were 2nd on 81 points, no impossible they could get 75 + points this season and with the insane schedule I'd argue that would be an even more impressive 2nd placing if they finish there on say 76 points.

Mad to think if they beat Liverpool they'd be six clear of Liverpool. Some turnaround and they then have Fulham and Sheffield United while Liverpool have Spurs and Man. City in next 4 league games so they made a real mess of the xmas period.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think they'll win it but they're in the race imo, got a good run of home games for second half of the season and whether they were lucky or not the 3 wins they've ground out tonight and v us and Wolves is the sort of run you need to do to be a serious contender and they were winning plenty before that aswell.

Still seems to me people just dismiss it because it's OGS. Man. United really weren't that much better in the league under Mourinho in terms of performances and results. In 16/17 they only actually finished 6th on 69 points which they should beat comfortably this season and next year they were 2nd on 81 points, no impossible they could get 75 + points this season and with the insane schedule I'd argue that would be an even more impressive 2nd placing if they finish there on say 76 points.

Mad to think if they beat Liverpool they'd be six clear of Liverpool. Some turnaround and they then have Fulham and Sheffield United while Liverpool have Spurs and Man. City in next 4 league games so they made a real mess of the xmas period.

Too much importance is attached to managers imo. You cant do anything if you have crap players. OGS has some really good footballers and they are where they should be. Previous managers have under-achieved there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Too much importance is attached to managers imo. You cant do anything if you have crap players. OGS has some really good footballers and they are where they should be. Previous managers have under-achieved there. 

so its good management then?

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

so its good management then?

Yes never said it wasn't. I've never been critical of OGS. His record at united has been pretty good. Same with Lampard at Chelsea.  The team are going though a bad spell but will come out of it. 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes never said it wasn't. I've never been critical of OGS. His record at united has been pretty good. Same with Lampard at Chelsea.  The team are going though a bad spell but will come out of it. 

Solskjaer has done a much better job than Lampard. Sarri got Chelsea to 3rd anf 2 finals including winning the Europa League and Sarri isnt even a great manager 

Lampard is taking Chelsea backwards

You can't but give OGS credit for the turnaround he's achieved at Manure, he's got rid of a lot of deadwood (expensive deadwood!), turned the atmosphere at the club around and is now afaik the manager in the PL with most points since Christmas 2019. The people who call him PE teacher or judge him for when he went down with that crap Cardiff team needs to reconsider.

SAF's main brand of football was a scraped 2-1 win against Stoke or Sunderland, not beating Nottingham Forest 5-1. Solskjaer is doing enough to win games Mourinho and LVG would lose or draw, that's the difference. One more decent centre back and his team is quality all over the pitch.

28 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

You can't but give OGS credit for the turnaround he's achieved at Manure, he's got rid of a lot of deadwood (expensive deadwood!), turned the atmosphere at the club around and is now afaik the manager in the PL with most points since Christmas 2019. The people who call him PE teacher or judge him for when he went down with that crap Cardiff team needs to reconsider.

SAF's main brand of football was a scraped 2-1 win against Stoke or Sunderland, not beating Nottingham Forest 5-1. Solskjaer is doing enough to win games Mourinho and LVG would lose or draw, that's the difference. One more decent centre back and his team is quality all over the pitch.

Since his retirement this myth about Fergie swashbuckling football has evolved. They werent boring but they weren't blowing teams away 5-0 every week especially away from home they loved a narrow 1 or 2 nil win

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Since his retirement this myth about Fergie swashbuckling football has evolved. They werent boring but they weren't blowing teams away 5-0 every week especially away from home they loved a narrow 1 or 2 nil win

Yep and defensively they weren't always great either. In his last title winning season they had these results of course:

3-2 win v Fulham

3-2 win over us

4-2 win over Stoke

5-4 win over Reading

3-2 win over Man. City

2-3 loss v Spurs

3-2 win v Chelsea

That was all before xmas 2012 and then they tightened up defensively as they always tended to do under Fergie. Pretty sure in the 08/09 season they didn't concede a goal for 7-8 games or something stupid.

If you judge OGS to managers they've had since 2013 I think he's doing pretty well tbh.

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I remember them as counter attacking with some of the best defenders and strikers in the league, could absorb the pressure and score their chances 

They always had the best defenders in England even when Chelsea built a great defence United still had Van der Sar, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra

Now they dont even have the best defenders in Manchester 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

If you judge OGS to managers they've had since 2013 I think he's doing pretty well tbh.

If you judge him taking away 33 penalties in 50 games it doesn't look so good.

In fact, with that many penalties and the same squad at his disposal, I'd wager even fat Sam could match it.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They always had the best defenders in England even when Chelsea built a great defence United still had Van der Sar, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra

Now they dont even have the best defenders in Manchester 

I certainly wouldn't swap our back four for theirs.

35 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

If you judge him taking away 33 penalties in 50 games it doesn't look so good.

In fact, with that many penalties and the same squad at his disposal, I'd wager even fat Sam could match it.

But why -  and how - would you remove penalties from consideration??

41 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If you were to believe the media ole is doing wonders on a shoestring budget. They'll end up finishing 3rd or 4th but somehow ole will have done a great job. 

I think what he is doing is doing it with a squad that the media has successfully made everyone believe is shit

So much negative press over utd for years now, de gea is finished, Shaw is fat, AWB cost too much, maguire is garbage yet still their best CB, pogba is a cancer, Fred is the worst utd midfielder since kleberson, matic is lazy, mctominay won a raffle, rashford has stopped focusing on football and spends too much time feeding kids, Fernandes is a cheat, martial doesn't score, lingard... 

If you were to ask villa fans to name the best 11 from both squads I think more than a fair few would name around 8 villa players, very few would say pogba 

Which if all that is true then ole is doing a good job... The reality is somewhere in the middle, ole isn't as bad as people make out and the players are nowhere near as people make out and utd are pretty good albeit being made to look better in a tighter league 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think what he is doing is doing it with a squad that the media has successfully made everyone believe is shit

So much negative press over utd for years now, de gea is finished, Shaw is fat, AWB cost too much, maguire is garbage yet still their best CB, pogba is a cancer, Fred is the worst utd midfielder since kleberson, matic is lazy, mctominay won a raffle, rashford has stopped focusing on football and spends too much time feeding kids, Fernandes is a cheat, martial doesn't score, lingard... 

If you were to ask villa fans to name the best 11 from both squads I think more than a fair few would name around 8 villa players, very few would say pogba 

Which if all that is true then ole is doing a good job... The reality is somewhere in the middle, ole isn't as bad as people make out and the players are nowhere near as people make out and utd are pretty good albeit being made to look better in a tighter league 

If you asked United fans the same question I bet only Grealish would make their combined team 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

They always had wonderful attacking players when Fergie was manager. Maybe not at the start of his reign when we smashed 3-0  but after the signing of Cantana they never looked back. 

Must be awful for Ole, every week having these decisions go against them that don’t even cost them the win. They’ve gone 3 games without a penalty now, it’s just so biased against them.

D080-BA48-F8-D6-4-EAD-9-D55-1-AD4-AA5-FF

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was overheard uttering "Load of f****** nonsense" after a controversial VAR call went against Manchester United,according to the MEN. 

Link

Â