Manchester United

BOF

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:48, HanoiVillan said:

I get the feeling watching United these days that they're going to win the PL next season. The squad is much deeper than Chelsea, who haven't had European football this season. 

About time surely?

How much money have they spent last 4 seasons.

Have to say I'm a bit bemused by all this praise Mourinho is suddenly getting....even after 15 games unbeaten they are only 6th.

As anyone growing up in the 90s would know, Man. United even below 2nd in the league table doesn't look right...it's like Juventus or Barca or Madrid being this low in the table at this stage of the season.

I honestly thought they'd make much more impact and possibly win the title THIS season, cup wins are masking that a bit.

Oh and Zlatan is great....in fairness he has the same sort of charisma as Cantona did so I never expected him to be a flop.

Only thing I did say is I didn't think he'd be quite as effective in away games....looking at the league and Man. United still have got trips to Man. City, Arsenal and Spurs so interested to see how he does as he was nullified pretty easily in the Chelsea and Liverpool away games earlier this season.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

About time surely?

Have to say I'm a bit bemused by all this praise Mourinho is suddenly getting....even after 15 games unbeaten they are only 6th.

As anyone growing up in the 90s would know, Man. United even below 2nd in the league table doesn't look right...it's like Juventus or Barca or Madrid being this low in the table at this stage of the season.

I honestly thought they'd make much more impact and possibly win the title THIS season, cup wins are masking that a bit.

I'm not saying they've been brilliant this season. Clearly they weren't, especially at the start. But they have got better and better and they will have the strongest squad next season, I'm sure of that. 

Hasn't Mourinho won titles in his second season generally, rather than his first? I'm no expert on the guy, and I can't be bothered to look it up, but that was the impression I had from somewhere. 

On 2/17/2017 at 22:48, HanoiVillan said:

I get the feeling watching United these days that they're going to win the PL next season. The squad is much deeper than Chelsea, who haven't had European football this season. 

I don't know. Any team that has Valencia at right back, Blind, Rojo and Herrera starting a lot of games, you wonder how they'll break in to the top 4 more than winning the title. Team needs a tonne of work IMO.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't know. Any team that has Valencia at right back, Blind, Rojo and Herrera starting a lot of games, you wonder how they'll break in to the top 4 more than winning the title. Team needs a tonne of work IMO.

They should just start 10 defenders and make one of them flop in the penalty area and win 1-0 every week. The Mourinho Way.

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

About time surely?

I don't think the amount they've spent in the last 4 seasons is really relevant to how Mourinho is doing in the job though. Huge amounts were waisted by LVG and Moyes.

I can't say I've seen Mourinho particularly getting praise but if he is it will be because they are on great form and finally look like a decent (not great) side again.

They didn't have a great start to the season which results in their current position but I still think it's fair to say he is doing a good job.

Despite what Sky would have us believe football didn't start in the 90's, United have no divine right to be in the top 2 or win titles just as Liverpool found out when United started winning.

They we never going to win the title this season.

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Valencia's had a really good season and is a very solid RB these days although he will be 32 next season so probably need a younger player to compete with him.

Biggest problem this season is Mourinho took so long to sort the midfield out....Mikhi, Carrick and criminally for me Ander Herrera all barely played until November.

Herrera is one of the most underrated players in the league, no surprise to me their form has picked up since he started playing every week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

About time surely?

They should be top 4 at least given the history, size and money spent. Well  before your time Chris but they went from 1967-1993 I think without winning a title, even dropping to the then 2nd division for a season. Even then, apart from maybe Liverpool they got the best crowds.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

If I was a United fan I would absolutely take 6th and a Europa League win, gets Champions League and some silverware. 

They will probably win the League and FA Cup as well.

I think now that Spurs and Liverpool have improved and the general competitiveness of the league is there I hope to see the "Big" teams ending up outside of the top 4 more often. Chelsea and United have now had seasons without Champions League. Hoping Everton can crash the party in the next few years to keep it interesting. 

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

@VillaChris has kind of said it all, really - Valencia is playing really well at right back but needs competition. Herrera I don't get your point, for me he's excellent, and if you look at United's record or results, the overlap between their unbeaten run and Herrera playing every week is clear. I don't get how you don't think they can't make top 4 with him, when they don't lose when he plays. 

Blind is a good squad player but shouldn't be starting every week. Rojo is a bit crap. But I have absolutely no doubt they'll be looking to upgrade at both CB and LB in the summer. 

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anything in lego is shit, including lego in lego.

Really? What's the story there? Did a piece get stuck in your bum or something? Lego is pretty amazing these days with complicated builds that even small kids can understand.

18 minutes ago, tarjei said:

Really? What's the story there? Did a piece get stuck in your bum or something? Lego is pretty amazing these days with complicated builds that even small kids can understand.

Never really got into Lego, those new kits cost a bloody fortune. 

On 19/02/2017 at 07:24, HanoiVillan said:

@VillaChris has kind of said it all, really - Valencia is playing really well at right back but needs competition. Herrera I don't get your point, for me he's excellent, and if you look at United's record or results, the overlap between their unbeaten run and Herrera playing every week is clear. I don't get how you don't think they can't make top 4 with him, when they don't lose when he plays. 

Blind is a good squad player but shouldn't be starting every week. Rojo is a bit crap. But I have absolutely no doubt they'll be looking to upgrade at both CB and LB in the summer. 

Blind doesn't start every week. I don't particularly like Rojo and he is a dreadful LB but he has been very good this season at CB and formed a great partnership with Jones. 

There are very few as well rounded midfielders as Ander in the league so he is a bit of an odd inclusion. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tommybread said:

Blind doesn't start every week. I don't particularly like Rojo and he is a dreadful LB but he has been very good this season at CB and formed a great partnership with Jones. 

There are very few as well rounded midfielders as Ander in the league so he is a bit of an odd inclusion. 

Good points as per. 

30 minutes ago, tommybread said:

We'll agree to disagree. None of the players you've mentioned should be first XI for United IMO.

Â