Manchester United

BOF

23 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

We'll agree to disagree. None of the players you've mentioned should be first XI for United IMO.

None of them really are except Ander and possibly Rojo but we don't really have a settled cb pairing. Someone is always injured or missing. 

Who is better than Ander that should replace him? 

2 minutes ago, tommybread said:

None of them really are except Ander and possibly Rojo but we don't really have a settled cb pairing. Someone is always injured or missing. 

Luke Chadwick.

5 hours ago, tommybread said:

I meant if they want to be serious about the title. 

You'd do incredibly well to do it with the names I mentioned.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Since they last lost a PL game on October 23rd, United have played 16 games in the league. Herrera has started all of those that he was available for (he was suspended for the other). He has the 9th highest rate of tackles/game in the league, and the 2nd highest rate of interceptions/game. 

It is not at all obvious why a team with Herrera in it would do 'incredibly well' to win the title, when a team with him in it is currently on a 16 game unbeaten run. 

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

And who is better than Ander in his position? 

Anyway, Valencia is one of the best RBs in the league. Blind is an incredibly intelligent and technical player who is a great squad player which is all that he really is. His pace means he gets beaten sometimes but all defenders are and his reading of the game is better than most. He is perfectly fine as a back up. City are currently second with Stones, Otamendi, and Kolarov playing CB. All varying degrees of laughable much of the time. Rojo has been very good this season at CB, he is not a lb. He is as good as what other clubs have in their CB rotation. He isn't a guaranteed starter. I don't believe you watch many united games  

Darmian is easily the worst player at the club who gets to play any significant amount of time. You wouldn't even want him at villa. 

Edited by tommybread

Herrera has played pretty much the entire season. When he got in to the first XI 'permanently' they won 2 of 9 games. Including a win which Herrera did not play, so the run isn't really to do with him as much as you're making out. Another Spaniard has been more important IMO. 

As for who's better, I'm not going to list every midfielder in the world better than him. But for a club willing to drop £90m on a player, there's plenty of options currently playing. Unless you actually think Herrera is one of the best in world football? Each to their own. I don't rate him as one of the best in the world, not even that close to it. 

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Herrera has played pretty much the entire season. When he got in to the first XI 'permanently' they won 2 of 9 games. Including a win which Herrera did not play, so the run isn't really to do with him as much as you're making out. Another Spaniard has been more important IMO. 

As for who's better, I'm not going to list every midfielder in the world better than him. But for a club willing to drop £90m on a player, there's plenty of options currently playing. Unless you actually think Herrera is one of the best in world football? Each to their own. I don't rate him as one of the best in the world, not even that close to it. 

He is one of the best in the league. He has been better than Pogba this season. A few players at the likes of Real and Bayern who are unsignable for any team in the league have no baring on him being good enough to be on a league winning side. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tommybread said:

And who is better than Ander in his position? 

Anyway, Valencia is one of the best RBs in the league. Blind is an incredibly intelligent and technical player who is a great squad player which is all that he really is. His pace means he gets beaten sometimes but all defenders are and his reading of the game is better than most. He is perfectly fine as a back up. City are currently second with Stones, Otamendi, and Kolarov playing CB. All varying degrees of laughable much of the time. Rojo has been very good this season at CB, he is not a lb. He is as good as what other clubs have in their CB rotation. He isn't a guaranteed starter. I don't believe you watch many united games  

Darmian is easily the worst player at the club who gets to play any significant amount of time. You wouldn't even want him at villa. 

We'll agree to disagree then. They really aren't all 'best in their position' or 'great readers of the game' for me. Everyone sees the game differently. If you genuinely think these sorts of players are among the  best in their position then fine, that's your opinion. I don't. 

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

We'll agree to disagree then. They really aren't all 'best in their position' or 'great readers of the game' for me. Everyone sees the game differently. If you genuinely think these sorts of players are among the  best in their position then fine, that's your opinion. I don't. 

So give me names of players in the league that are better than ander and Valencia in their positions. I've asked numerous times and you've yet to give any names. 

Blind is is clearly a great reader of the game. There is even videos of Germany using tapes of his defending to practice from. His physical attributes are what hold him back but he is a great squad player. 

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Don't think Walker is any better to be honest and Valencia has a better delivery than him. 

Walker is ridiculously overrated, without his pace he isnt that special

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Walker is ridiculously overrated, without his pace he isnt that special

Kind of a silly comment considering that is what makes him a good full back. It's like saying Kante is overrated, without his defense he isn't that special. 

• Like 1

Walker is one of those who looks great when the game is played at 100mph but when he has time to think he flops.

Have a watch again of England-Wales in the summer and look at how many crosses he overhits when he has time to think.

Prefer Clyne.

Edited by VillaChris

13 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Kind of a silly comment considering that is what makes him a good full back. It's like saying Kante is overrated, without his defense he isn't that special. 

no a good full back has to have more than pace. while not blistering Alan Hutton has pace

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

no a good full back has to have more than pace. while not blistering Alan Hutton has pace

Ok maybe Kante was a bad example, but Gabby back in the day was pretty much only a threat because of his blistering pace. His finishing wasn't anything amazing, but the fact that he could get behind defenses made him lethal. Carew also was a great player because of his strength. Carew was never a goal scorer, but his ability to boss defenders around made him one of the most difficult strikers to deal with. Without his strength, Carew wouldn't have been so successful. Walker is a decent right back without his pace, but a good one because of his pace. 

• Like 1

Â