Manchester United

BOF

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Fergie left behind the worst possible squad for another manager to take over. 

This is the bit I just don’t agree with. As I said, they’d just won the league, by 9 points and scored 20 more goals than an excellent City side. You could say romped the league as few teams win it by such a margin.

It had quality all over the pitch with a good blend of youth, prime and experienced players. There’s nothing wrong with players 30-32, especially when as good as people like Vidic, Ferdinand. 

Every team buys and sells every summer and United would have been no different after SAF retired.

It wasn’t a terrible squad, and they didn’t scrape league as others have suggested like it’s some kind of second rate achievement.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I never said it was certain he would decline, was I said was, it was an unusual signing for Fergie to make and there was no future beyond a couple of seasons, yes he could've played well for another season or two, but him along with 35 year old Ferdinand, 40 year old Giggs and Im pretty sure there were a few others over 30, Vidic for example.

Fergie left behind the worst possible squad for another manager to take over. 

As well as other parts of the club being weakened, it was a complete cesspit and it's been proven by their last decade.

Well what you actually said was that the RVP signing was 'a perfect example' that Fergie had 'stopped looking after the future and only cared about the now'. I don't agree with this claim, for the reasons I've laid out, but I suggest we leave it there and agree to disagree. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well what you actually said was that the RVP signing was 'a perfect example' that Fergie had 'stopped looking after the future and only cared about the now'. I don't agree with this claim, for the reasons I've laid out, but I suggest we leave it there and agree to disagree. 

Yes that's what I said, but it still isn't saying he would decline the next season which is what you implied I said.

Glad we cleared that up!

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Was watching the overlap programme and they did a keep , get rid , last chance etc on the squad.

On Rashford it was a keep with Neville stating "I'd like to see what he could do under a different owner."

A different **** owner. Not a manager but an owner. What the **** does an owner have to do with anything!

I suppose the argument is that a different owner who introduced a more competent structure to the football operations would lead to Rashford being surrounded by better players than he currently plays with, and that this would have a positive impact. And I guess you could point to his England form, which is better than his club form, as some possible evidence to support that. 

But I agree it's a bit tenuous, and anyway he could have been clearer if that's what he meant. 

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Was watching the overlap programme and they did a keep , get rid , last chance etc on the squad.

On Rashford it was a keep with Neville stating "I'd like to see what he could do under a different owner."

A different **** owner. Not a manager but an owner. What the **** does an owner have to do with anything!

It’s an insane comment, he got a £300k per week contract and the suggestion is he is lacking motivation now and somehow a new owner will change it?

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is the bit I just don’t agree with. As I said, they’d just won the league, by 9 points and scored 20 more goals than an excellent City side. You could say romped the league as few teams win it by such a margin.

It had quality all over the pitch with a good blend of youth, prime and experienced players. There’s nothing wrong with players 30-32, especially when as good as people like Vidic, Ferdinand. 

Every team buys and sells every summer and United would have been no different after SAF retired.

It wasn’t a terrible squad, and they didn’t scrape league as others have suggested like it’s some kind of second rate achievement.

Ferdinand was 35 😅

The youth was rubbish, absolute dross....

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

They needed purchases but Moyes just dithered all summer and then bought Fellaini on deadline day I think.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

They needed purchases but Moyes just dithered all summer and then bought Fellaini on deadline day I think.

I think it was Woodward not Moyes. Pretty sure he wanted Kroos and Fabregas

The thing about Ferguson was that he was able to get performances out of average players that no other manager could possibly do.

I remember they played a decent Arsenal team off the park in a FA game with a midfield of 

Rafael Gibson O'Shea Fabio

In that last season the midfield pairing during their good run at the start was Cleverly and Anderson, neither player ever got near that form again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The thing about Ferguson was that he was able to get performances out of average players that no other manager could possibly do.

I remember they played a decent Arsenal team off the park in a FA game with a midfield of 

Rafael Gibson O'Shea Fabio

In that last season the midfield pairing during their good run at the start was Cleverly and Anderson, neither player ever got near that form again.

The team that beat Arsenal 8-2 was amazingly average on paper

lineup-man-utd-arsenal-8-2.png

• Like 1

Â