Manchester United

BOF

Who is signing the players if not Ten Haag as the Glazers don't give a **** they just sign the budget, there are no other football people involved really.

Man Utd managers get more of "their picks" than any top club manager. Maybe that's why they continually fail.

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Who is signing the players if not Ten Haag as the Glazers don't give a **** they just sign the budget, there are no other football people involved really.

Man Utd managers get more of "their picks" than any top club manager. Maybe that's why they continually fail.

All clubs have a recruitment department. Man United have around 40 full time scouts apparently. There will be an entire structure of staff involved in buying and selling players. The manager is just 1 voice in the room.

13 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Yeah they do sign some shite. No joined up thinking whatsoever. I absolutely love it

They do sign shite, which all other clubs do too. The problem is the ratio of misses to hits has gotten so large.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I remember was an article a few years ago pretty much saying that a weak United is bad for the English game 😂😂

I remember that Irish BBC radio commentator who always used to cover The Champions League saying English Football needs a strong Manchester United. I nearly crashed my **** car. 

Liverpool used to have this obsession about needing a "Liverpool" man in. The boot room etc. Every top player was meant to be an understudy to continue the legendary manager link through history.   They went years without winning the league. 

It's bollocks though. The absolute last thing club needs is to be shackled by the thoughts and especially tactics of some 20+ year old regime. 

Football is different now. There are so many top coaches all over the place developing new techniques and tactics to get a edge, constant redevelopment.  The hairdryer treatment just isn't going to cut it today. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

All clubs have a recruitment department. Man United have around 40 full time scouts apparently. There will be an entire structure of staff involved in buying and selling players. The manager is just 1 voice in the room.

Yes but who is actually in charge, who holds actual power? Ten Haag must have signed a dozen players he wanted. It's no coincidence he's worked with a load of they're from Netherlands 

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

They do sign shite, which all other clubs do too. The problem is the ratio of misses to hits has gotten so large.

They are the most extreme example - Spurs suffered with it for a bit - and as we grow I hope we don't fall into the trap.

Basically, the "elite of the elite", plug and play A+ players go to Man City, Bayern, Madrid, Liverpool etc. Then Man U, Spurs etc are fighting for the B+ players. Clearly are good, but there's reasons why the elite clubs don't want them (attitude, injuries, age etc).

To compound it, neither club are a huge draw anymore so they end up overpaying massively as it's not a "no brainer" for the club to see him to them.

For example - If Man U wanted Matty Cash we'd absolutely rinse them for every single penny, and put up quite a fight to sell him. The fee would have to be massive to "sell it" to the fans. If Real Madrid wanted him, we'd kind of understand, the fee would be lower and he'd go with the blessing of the club and fans.

Edited by pas5898

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Which was an unimaginable depth if you started supporting Villa in 1991 😂 

I always wondered how the 1936? Relegation must have been seen. Villa were far and away the most successful club in the country at that point. 

3 hours ago, Greenfly said:
3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I often forget how close we came to oblivion before NSWE came along. Man u fans will never know what's it's like to support a team that has true lows.

What do you mean?  They had that one season where they finished 6th and only got to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League.  

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Liverpool used to have this obsession about needing a "Liverpool" man in. The boot room etc. Every top player was meant to be an understudy to continue the legendary manager link through history.   They went years without winning the league. 

It's bollocks though. The absolute last thing club needs is to be shackled by the thoughts and especially tactics of some 20+ year old regime. 

Football is different now. There are so many top coaches all over the place developing new techniques and tactics to get a edge, constant redevelopment.  The hairdryer treatment just isn't going to cut it today. 

Worked well for them until Souness to be fair, even Roy Evans did a good job to repair the damage, built a team good enough to win a league if they had a bit more professionalism.

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I always wondered how the 1936? Relegation must have been seen. Villa were far and away the most successful club in the country at that point. 

To quote Eric Houghton "we thought the end of the world had come.  Villa had never been in the 2nd Division before."

They need to update the Villa History video loved that as a kid!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

9 hours ago, Genie said:

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Yes but who is actually in charge, who holds actual power? Ten Haag must have signed a dozen players he wanted. It's no coincidence he's worked with a load of they're from Netherlands 

(Reportedly) the structure is that both Ten Hag and John Murtaugh have a veto vote on any signings, so anyone brought in has at least been passively accepted by both the manager and 'the club' in the person of Murtaugh. 

In terms of suggesting players I'm not sure, but the number signed that Ten Hag has previously worked with pretty clearly shows that he has been able to name at least some targets himself. 

Rashford has been told off by ETH for attending his own pre-planned birthday party after the side lost 3-0 on Sunday. It was also confirmed he arrived for training on time Monday morning.

That seems incredibly harsh that he had to apologise for it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Rashford has been told off by ETH for attending his own pre-planned birthday party after the side lost 3-0 on Sunday. It was also confirmed he arrived for training on time Monday morning.

That seems incredibly harsh that he had to apologise for it. 

I guarantee Rashford wasn't out getting steaming.

Have no social life says Ten Haag.

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I guarantee Rashford wasn't out getting steaming.

Have no social life says Ten Haag.

Exactly, he didn’t go out on the lash on a whim. It was his pre-planned birthday party and he arrived at training the following day on time ready to go.

Its a bizarre thing to have to apologise for, and to be made public.

Edited by Genie

Â