Manchester United

BOF

Where was James Wilson 

He's injured.

That first 11 they put out today was laughable for a club of their stature, it's the sort of thing we've been doing the last few years, filling it with unproven youth and so on.

I've said they'll finish top 4 but no chance with nonsense like Lingard and Blackett playing, they need to be sent packing and some proper signings need to be made in those positions.

And what was LVG doing signing autographs right after the final whistle, gives the impression he's on a retirement holiday here.

Nonsense like Blackett? Clearly you didn't watch the match or any of the pre-season matches. He's been the best centre half during the tour and didn't do much wrong yesterday and was much better than Smalling. He is fantastic on the ball and is extremely composed with great passing out from the back. In no way does he need to be sent packing. Marcos Rojo is close to signing and they will share the LCB role. 

BTW returning to an earlier subject about where Luke Shaw will play, people mocked my suggestion Van Gaal was going to convert Luke Shaw to center back, yet I notice that Arsene Wenger has done exactly that with Calum Chambers who played next to Koscienly against Crystal Palace today!

So? 

• Like 3

Van Gaal has admitted he struggles the first few months at hsi new club. think they were about 8th at Bayern in his 1st season in November. he needs defenders badly but I think their is a big over reaction just like their was a big over reaction to a few friendly wins in the USA

Where was James Wilson 

He's injured.

That first 11 they put out today was laughable for a club of their stature, it's the sort of thing we've been doing the last few years, filling it with unproven youth and so on.

I've said they'll finish top 4 but no chance with nonsense like Lingard and Blackett playing, they need to be sent packing and some proper signings need to be made in those positions.

And what was LVG doing signing autographs right after the final whistle, gives the impression he's on a retirement holiday here.

Nonsense like Blackett? Clearly you didn't watch the match or any of the pre-season matches. He's been the best centre half during the tour and didn't do much wrong yesterday and was much better than Smalling. He is fantastic on the ball and is extremely composed with great passing out from the back. In no way does he need to be sent packing. Marcos Rojo is close to signing and they will share the LCB role. 

Can understand the criticism for picking Lingard, but as Tommy says, Blackett was pretty decent against Swansea and has apparently been a rock in pre-season. It's not like he had great defenders sitting out because the new manager wanted to make a point, the alternative was Chris Smalling, who has been mediocre at best for the last 2 years. 

Their defence just isn't that good. It's the back 4 of a midtable team. The midfield of a midtable team, and the striking options of top 6.. so anyone who thinks they're gonna to stroll back into the top 4 (or thinks they'll genuinely challenge for the league) is deluded, even without the distraction of European football. 

Van Gaal will add some good players in the next 2 weeks, but when you compare the squad depth with the title challengers it's laughable to think they'll compete.

Look at Chelsea's bench tonight, and see how many of those midfielders wouldn't get into Utd's midfield..

I love it now Man Utd aren't amazing.

It feels as though a mini balance has been restored.

I know they'll be good again in a short period of time, because of FFP and their amazingly powerful brand.. But for now... let's just enjoy them being the same as everyone else. :)

• Like 3

I know they'll be good again in a short period of time, because of FFP and their amazingly powerful brand.. But for now... let's just enjoy them being the same as everyone else. :)

Not quite able to do that as long as they still spank us.  They were going through some horrendous (for them) form last season and still whipped our arses twice

Not quite able to do that as long as they still spank us.  They were going through some horrendous (for them) form last season and still whipped our arses twice

That's called the circle of life.

Things that are certain:

1. Gravity

2. Death

3. Taxes

4. Manchester United beating Aston Villa

• Like 2

That's called the circle of life.

Things that are certain:

1. Gravity

2. Death

3. Taxes

4. Manchester United beating Aston Villa

I'm working on something to combat number 2 but alas, the others are certainties.

• Like 1

Yup. I'm sure thousands jumped ship last season. Man City fans now, probably. 

Living in Asia, I get to see this process first-hand. I've lost count of the number of times people have told me "Well, I used to support Man Utd, but now I support Man City/Chelsea". The trouble with the 'brand loyalty' of the world football consumer is it's a mile wide and an inch thick. 

If you live 10,000 miles away from any football club, how can you feel a loyalty to them?

I change from a Giants fan to a Chicago Cubs fan just by visiting the stadiums :lol:

Well if you are a Cubs fan no one could ever accuse you of being a glory hunter 

• Like 1

If you live 10,000 miles away from any football club, how can you feel a loyalty to them?

I change from a Giants fan to a Chicago Cubs fan just by visiting the stadiums :lol:

Well if you are a Cubs fan no one could ever accuse you of being a glory hunter 

sadly true :(

David Conn savages the Glazers again in the Guardian, and the numbers hurt to think about:

"Supporters are confronted with the legacy of £700m drained out in interest, fees and bank charges by the Glazers’ takeover, botched planning and underinvestment, which can be traced back to 2009 . . . “Between the 2005-06 season [the first after their takeover] and the 2013-14 season,” the prospectus says, “the weighted average general admission ticket prices for our Premier League matches played at Old Trafford increased at a compound annual growth rate of 4.4%.”"

£700m in charges and unproductive guff. 

Â