Manchester United

BOF

3:1 Bayern win in the second leg. 4-2 over both legs.

Lucky for Man Utd Bayern off form and have players out injured and out through suspension. The thrashing never looked like happening.

Still must go down as a convincing win. Man Utd won't be back in the Champions League for at least 18 months or so. Maybe longer as this team needs a lot of rebuilding.

Football is a funny old game of course, and next season everything will be blanked out and we start over again.

Liverpool will be in the Champions League, this year they didn't play in Europe and they have obviously benefited a whole lot with their small squad. They have basically played the same team every single week, barring a few injuries here and there, but I think I saw a table showing them to make the fewest switches in average alongside one or two clubs.

You have predicted that United will struggle to get a single good player, but this is of course something you don't have any knowledge to back up. They still hold a big name and have lots of cash, that's probably enough to persuade a few players.

Very few predicted Liverpool challenging for the title this season, but it just goes to show that the league is hard to predict. I don't recall my predictions, I tried to find them, but I think I had 1. Chelsea, 2. Man City, 3. Arsenal, 4. Man Utd, 5. Tottenham, 6. Liverpool and 7. Everton (pretty much the same as everyone else). I also had Villa from 15th to 12th I think, which seems about right.

As I see things now, the only ones sure to finish in the top 4 next season are Man City and Chelsea. Tottenham look a bit lost and I think they will struggle next season as well, they have lost so much since Bale left and they will change things around again in the summer. Everton will also struggle to keep up the good level, basically because they will lose Lukaku and struggle to buy replacements. They will still be up there, of course, but if there ever was a glass ceiling they've found it. Liverpool will play lots of games and they don't have the cash to invest in players costing 40M+. Arsenal are always up there, next season they will probably field a new striker or else they will do exactly the same as this season. I don't know what the exact rules are for qualifying for the Europa League, but if United don't participate and only get to play the Premier League - I would have them as strong favorites for the 4th position in front of Liverpool.

I wonder, if the Utd board offered Moyes the opportunity to walk if they paid up 50% of the remaining 5 years of his contract whether he would?

Its a quite frightening prospect for him to rebuild that squad.

Lucky for Man Utd Bayern off form and have players out injured and out through suspension. The thrashing never looked like happening.

I don't think Man U were "lucky" at all.

I think, considering all the stick they've (rightfully) taken this season, they gave a pretty decent account of themselves over the 2 legs. United stopped Bayern doing what they needed to do for the most part, was nothing to do with Bayern being "off form" as such. As for injuries/suspensions, United were far more "unlucky" IMO.

• Like 3

Some journalist from 'The Guardian' tweeted around about the time Moyes was rumoured to be getting the sack, that United were sticking by him and giving him 200 Million to spend in the summer. Maybe they'll change their minds about Moyes but seems like they're going to spend big either way.

They should sell both Rooney & rvp. They need a lot of top class players

Evra, vidic, rio, giggs, nani, Hernandez,young,scholes,cleverly all need replacing

I think Young and Cleverly will stay there. They still need replacing in terms of in the first XI, but they'll stay at United, imo.

Hernandez will probably go i reckon. He's good enough to start for somebody in a top flight and it's clear he won't be getting a look in at Man Utd. Time to show some ambition

United could line up with a team like this time next season-

De Gea

Rafael          Smalling         Jones    Shaw

Kroos    Carrick

Mata       Kagawa     Janujaz

Rooney

Definitely good enough for top four.

United could line up with a team like this time next season-

De Gea

Rafael Smalling Jones Shaw

Kroos Carrick

Mata Kagawa Janujaz

Rooney

Definitely good enough for top four.

I think Shaw may end up at Chelsea. United need a world class CB because them two CBs aren't exactly brilliant.

Not sure how well that back 4 would hold up....needs an older head in there.

That said it's not like much of the premier league can defend, two of the promoted clubs are in the top 6 defences so perhaps it won't matter.

Why is Paps still peddling the United might pull out of the Europa league comment?!

Apparently they've agreed to sign William Carvalho.

Never heard of him. Cost a fair amount, though.

If Real Madrid don't get him.

This is a test case.

If Man Utd are going to be able to sign any top quality players in the summer they need to sign Carvalho. All good teams are built from the back, and all top quality signings will know this.

If they can't get him or someone of equal calibre then that's another season down the drain.

smalling and jones are nowhere near good enough as a CB partnership

and £35m for that carvalho! 'kin hell! to be fair i said the same thing about fernandinho last summer and he's proved me wrong, but for that kind of money you could probably buy kroos, gundogan, verratti, xhaka, bender (either one) inler, hamsik, koke, pjanic... or even the self declared worlds best central midfielder arturo vidal

Edited by villa4europe

Â