Manchester United

BOF

Seemingly Moyes has the best record of any post-war Man Utd manager in their first 30 games in charge. Winning something like 17 of them. Of course he arguably has the best squad that any new post-war United manager has inherited too. Maybe that's where the hat-tip from the FA comes from? Stupid either way.

Just goes to show really that stats can often be completely meaningless, a bit like that stat about how Man United hadn't lost the first 3 games of a calendar year for about 80 years until now. I mean, I agree that United have done poorly this season but it's such a specific set of games that it's no surprise it had been so long. When was the last time Villa lost the opening 3 games of a calendar year?

Manchester United boss David Moyes is among the nominees for the Barclays Premier League manager of the month award for December.

United have lost their past three games in all competitions, but won four, drew once and lost twice in their seven league games last month.

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini, who went unbeaten in December, is also nominated.

Really?

The three games they have lost were all in January.  Last I checked, January isn't in December. 

Seemingly Moyes has the best record of any post-war Man Utd manager in their first 30 games in charge. Winning something like 17 of them. Of course he arguably has the best squad that any new post-war United manager has inherited too. Maybe that's where the hat-tip from the FA comes from? Stupid either way.

Yes context is quite important. Typically a new manager comes in because the old manager has been sacked and the team is on a poor run of form.

I wonder how many Man U managers have taken over the title winners and done worse than him ;)

Friendly referees can boost a top team's points total at the end of the season. They can turn draws into wins and losses into a point. Last year Man Utd could easily have got about 12 points ref credit. It wasn't a great team. Add to this the effect positive results has on team confidence levels and you get a sustained title challenge.

Enter Moyes. He does not intimidate the referees like Sir Alex could. Man Utd in free-fall due to more realistic refereeing, as well as the fact the current squad peaked a couple of years ago and needs a complete over-haul. 

This year Chelsea are at least +9 points ref credit so look good for the title, even though I'd say (and would like) Man City to win on performances (Arsenal can't win it without Walcott). 

Edited by Con

I find myself finding time to watch United games. I will be watching again tomorrow. Even if they win the atmosphere isnt the same, my United supporting friends dont have the same enthusiasm and its great. A terrible decision for a penalty and red car for Rooney would be lovely.

Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and now Adnan Januzaj are fixtures. Nemanja Vidic still does a very good job and will not be going far. Danny Welbeck is another with a solid future. Michael Carrick also looks secure. Others, we may have seen the best of, and the task for them will be to hang on for as long as they can.

But they need a next wave to carry Man United forward: the likes of Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Tom Cleverley, who have to get in the team and prove their worth.

Welbeck is half a step on from those three. Cleverley is often judged harshly for not being a Paul Scholes. He is a different type of player. He brings industry and steady passing. More than any of the players under discussion he will need a thick skin. If he comes through this he will be a lot better for it. It is a tough time for Tom’s generation.

Beyond them, Nani, Anderson, Valencia and Ashley Young are in that group between the youngsters and the ageing legends. They should be the mainstay of the side. They have been around a while, are accustomed to success but also have a few years ahead of them. The same test is applied to them: which of them is good enough for the trials ahead?

Michael Owen asking where the good players are.

I like the highlighted "group between the youngers and the ageing legends." I think they're all inconsistent players, for different reasons.

Owen is pretty much also saying the same about Welbeck.

So Utd have got 5 good players: Rooney, Van Persie, Janujaz, Vidic and Carrick. Three of whom are over 30.   Two have history of rumours and actual statements wanting to leave the club. The greatest hope is still only 18 and learning his game. Unfair amount of pressure being put on him. 

Savage has a go now.

players he says they should sell

Smalling

Buttner

Fabio

Jones?

Ferdinand

Fellaini

Anderson

Giggs

Nani

Young

Cleverley

Valencia

Hernandez?

Can't disagree with that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25665649

The squad would be tiny!

Any of those would go straight in our first eleven though ...

its all well and good saying sell player x but who is he suggesting they get in?

sell smalling (who i agree isnt good enough) who are they bringing in to replace him? best young player in that CB can play RB role in the world right now IMO is marquinhos at PSG, him that was £28m last summer... think some of these people suggesting utd scrap half the squad and start again need to realise that utd are probably 6th / 7th in the world right now in terms of financial clout, and that's only if the yanks stick their hands in their pockets, they are probably 6th / 7th in terms of appeal too, they simply arent going to sign half a squad of world class players because they are either already handsomely paid elsewhere or going to get better offers

their position of strength in world football has already slipped before this season, their position in english football is about to slip

its all well and good saying sell player x but who is he suggesting they get in?

sell smalling (who i agree isnt good enough) who are they bringing in to replace him? best young player in that CB can play RB role in the world right now IMO is marquinhos at PSG, him that was £28m last summer... think some of these people suggesting utd scrap half the squad and start again need to realise that utd are probably 6th / 7th in the world right now in terms of financial clout, and that's only if the yanks stick their hands in their pockets, they are probably 6th / 7th in terms of appeal too, they simply arent going to sign half a squad of world class players because they are either already handsomely paid elsewhere or going to get better offers

their position of strength in world football has already slipped before this season, their position in english football is about to slip

Once a slide kicks in though it's sometimes not that easy to stop. Often the slide goes even further than it ought to. They might dip lower then 8th before they recover their form (of 8th). There's always one team around new year that plummets like a stone.

Edit: Team vs Swansea.

De Gea, Rafael Da Silva, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Carrick, Valencia, Kagawa, Januzaj, Welbeck.

No Rooney or Van Persie.

Show of hands: anyone believe Ferdinand when he says : "Come on boys, today we start our run. On & upwards we go. Your support is fully appreciated." My hand is not raised. Swansea will win this again today. It will be another very embarrassing result. Could be even worse/better than the previous games - 0-3, or 1-4.

Edited by Con

Â