Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I think my generation will be remembered more for being **** over by previous generations with a shit tonne of debt and frightening levels of unemployment more than being a bunch of 'banter' loving fucknuts, when the history books are written.

TOWIE and the like are a marketing phase that will fade away and some other insufferable distraction will pop along to keep the unimaginative quiet and in the high streets buying endless amounts of trash.

The rest of us will be busy sorting our lives out and figuring out how to sort this mess out when the old buggers retire in the Maldives or die off.

I think my generation will be remembered more for being **** over by previous generations with a shit tonne of debt and frightening levels of unemployment more than being a bunch of 'banter' loving fucknuts, when the history books are written.

The rest of us will be busy sorting our lives out and figuring out how to sort this mess out when the old buggers retire in the Maldives or die off.

:wave:

Agree with what others are saying about 'our' generation, as someone in their twenties (I'm 24). It's shit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally a happy person and I understand that people might be different. But so much of what's been 'mainstream'/popular during my late teens and early adult life is absolutely awful and I'm sure (or, in a way, I guess I hope) that it won't be looked back upon positively in years to come. I do agree that it's certainly different to previous generations because of the internet and such, but what passes for entertainment is largely such bottom-of-the-barrel talentless garbage that it's embarrassing. We will be a generation defined by technology and, as CED pointed out, possibly economic struggles, but in terms of what we produce in terms of popular culture? It's bollocks.

• Like 1

Similarly, when you're at the front of the queue at the lights and the instant they go from red to amber, the tosser in the car behind starts hassling you to move off. When did it change from being amber to get ready and green to go?

I may of said this already somewhere in the preevious 700 plus pages, I can't remember.

But I will say it again. When people take the piss out of you, and justify it as just banter. In many scenarios banter is simply a substitute word for bullying.

The Hillsborough single. Now whilst I agree very much with the cause it pisses me off for a number of reasons:-

1. Its shit

2. Its a bunch of has-beens who never said a word for decades jumping on a bandwagon (esp the likes of Pull McCarthorse)

3. It completely ignores those local and national musicians who have been campaigning for the cause for decades

4. Given the amount of people on my FB who support Liverpool, its plugged on my timeline every few minutes

5. Is getting this shit song to number one going to do anything? No they were in the high court yesterday and won, the next leg of the battle is some way away
  6. Isn't the choice of song just a bit sick given what they're supposedly raising awareness of?

7. Its really shit, really really shit and round here I can't get away from it

When crossing the road at a set of traffic lights, when youve pressed the button, the lights on and person next to you leans round to press it again as if they havent trusted you to work it out. nobheads

Done this one before, but...

On "dedicated" pedestrian crossings halfway along a road, pressing the button triggers the change.

BUT, on pedestrian crossings at major crossroads, the buttons don't do anything - the red/green man change is totally controlled by the changes in the actual traffic lights. I never press the button, there is no need. Yet people scowl at me and press it for me.

True dat.

The worst way to be rude is shushing someone mid-sentence and that's what she did. It's like the episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia when the gang gets shushed, so now I'm biding my time and waiting for the perfect chance to shush her back.

Shushing someone in general is probably one of my all time pet hates. Stop making that stupid noise at me, ask me to be quiet for God's sake.

Done this one before, but...

On "dedicated" pedestrian crossings halfway along a road, pressing the button triggers the change.

BUT, on pedestrian crossings at major crossroads, the buttons don't do anything - the red/green man change is totally controlled by the changes in the actual traffic lights. I never press the button, there is no need. Yet people scowl at me and press it for me.

Not always true. I can think of a major junction not far from me where the trigger does activate a pedestrian phase. If it isn't triggered I can turn left at the junction much sooner in the sequence that if it isn't pressed, normally when it is pressed the pedestrian has already crossed the road before the pedestrian sequence starts. I will however concede that this is a rarity.

It does bring me onto another pet peeve and that is how unintelligent traffic lights are in this day and age. There has to be a simple yet more effective method of controlling traffic flow than set intervals for each phase. Nothing worse than sitting at lights waiting for the phase that allows the opposite direction to go and the turn right filter lane (stopping you) for only one car to turn right but giving it time for twenty cars to turn right. just bloody dumb!

Not always true. I can think of a major junction not far from me where the trigger does activate a pedestrian phase. If it isn't triggered I can turn left at the junction much sooner in the sequence that if it isn't pressed, normally when it is pressed the pedestrian has already crossed the road before the pedestrian sequence starts. I will however concede that this is a rarity.

It does bring me onto another pet peeve and that is how unintelligent traffic lights are in this day and age. There has to be a simple yet more effective method of controlling traffic flow than set intervals for each phase. Nothing worse than sitting at lights waiting for the phase that allows the opposite direction to go and the turn right filter lane (stopping you) for only one car to turn right but giving it time for twenty cars to turn right. just bloody dumb!

Intelligent traffic lights keep cars moving in Cheltenham

trusted-contributor-png8.png

Tuesday, October 02, 2012newspaper_user_small.jpg

Gloucestershire EchoFollow

HIGH-TECH traffic sensors are being introduced into a congestion trouble zone at Arle Court to help ease delays and improve safety for drivers.

Work by the county council's highways department is getting under way in an effort to reduce traffic around one of the busiest junctions in Gloucestershire.

1. 4183166.jpg
    Arle Court roundabout

The 'intelligent' traffic lights are being installed on the A40 Arle Court roundabout and will bring relief to an area known for long delays at peak times.

Computers will monitor the lengths of queuing traffic and adjust the timings of signals to keep motorists on the move.

Gloucestershire Highways stepped in to improve traffic flow in the area after the stretch of the A40 became a long-standing 'pinch-point' for waiting drivers.

The scheme, which will be completed outside of rush hour to minimise disruption in the area, will also include a section of resurfacing work.

Councillor Will Windsor-Clive, county council cabinet member for communities, said efforts were being made to keep traffic flowing during the work.

He said: "This is the final phase of planned upgrades to the roundabout, which is one of the busiest in Cheltenham.

"We have made sure that any disruption will be kept to a minimum and residents should see a noticeable improvement once the works are complete."

The work is being funded thanks to completion of the Hatherley Lane Asda development.

Computers will monitor the lengths of the queues on all the roads approaching the roundabout. Timings of the signals can be adjusted on the spot to help maximise vehicle movement.

Work is under way and expected to be completed in six weeks, with a finishing date of November 9.

The project is the final phase of a number of planned long-term upgrades at the roundabout. The road was resurfaced earlier this year.

Most of the works will take place on the central island and verges surrounding the junction.

Some lanes will be closed-off during the work, outside of peak times.

Gloucestershire County Council faced criticism in 2010 when installation of new traffic lights leading up to the Arle Court roundabout led to long tailbacks and seven weeks of misery for drivers, despite work taking place during off peak times.

Â