Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I’ve never been one for just having a couple of beers. It’s usually all or nothing. As I’ve got a bit older, I have calmed down a bit regarding that, but I still don’t see the point in having a couple of beers. If I’m going to the pub after work, or just nipping in to kill some time, it’s at least 4 pints. Never been a big drinker in the house, although my wife likes a drink in the house. I get bored and restless if drinking in the house, so it’s just easier not too. As for binge drinking, then it all depends. The thought of going out at night, and not getting in until 2-3 in the morning does not appeal to me anymore. I love a steady all day drinking session though, then getting in no later than 10. I’ve always enjoyed heavy drinking binges, but the older you get, the more you prefer day drinking, imo. I love being in pubs, tbf. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve never been one for just having a couple of beers. It’s usually all or nothing. As I’ve got a bit older, I have calmed down a bit regarding that, but I still don’t see the point in having a couple of beers. 

The point for me is that I like the taste of beer, but I don't like feeling ill. And if I drink four pints or more I WILL end up feeling ill. My evening meal tastes nicer with a couple of glasses of wine than without. Watching a film on the TV is nicer with a bottle (or at most, two) of Guinness or ale. Of course, I will - very occasionally - do the all day (steady) boozing, but it's very much the exception. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The point for me is that I like the taste of beer, but I don't like feeling ill. And if I drink four pints or more I WILL end up feeling ill. My evening meal tastes nicer with a couple of glasses of wine than without. Watching a film on the TV is nicer with a bottle (or at most, two) of Guinness or ale. Of course, I will - very occasionally - do the all day (steady) boozing, but it's very much the exception. 

I love the taste of beer, and certain wines with certain meals, is great. I hate feeling ill too, but I can have a skinful and be alright in the morning, aslong as I’ve kept off top shelf. A steady 9 pints and I’m sound in morning. 9 pints with a bag of coke, and I feel like shit in the morning, although that was nothing years ago. Basically, two beers usually ends up with me having way more, as it’s hard to stop. Can’t drink and watch a tv programme either, like I couldn’t drink whilst reading a book. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I love the taste of beer, and certain wines with certain meals, is great. I hate feeling ill too, but I can have a skinful and be alright in the morning, aslong as I’ve kept off top shelf. A steady 9 pints and I’m sound in morning. 9 pints with a bag of coke, and I feel like shit in the morning, although that was nothing years ago. 

9 pints? I've never built up that sort of tolerance, I can't even imagine what sort of loose I'd be after 9, or spending $100 in one session on alcohol.

Last drink I had was in May, had two cups of red wine. Was sleeping on concrete that night for a homeless fundraiser and the wine probably helped me fall asleep within 5-10 minutes of lying down.

I'm not much for grog and never have been. That said, some of the best banter comes from people who get around it. I've never seen people so talented at s***-talking than those who enjoy the regular beverage or 10.

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

9 pints? I've never built up that sort of tolerance, I can't even imagine what sort of loose I'd be after 9, or spending $100 in one session on alcohol.

Last drink I had was in May, had two cups of red wine. Was sleeping on concrete that night for a homeless fundraiser and the wine probably helped me fall asleep within 5-10 minutes of lying down.

I'm not much for grog and never have been. That said, some of the best banter comes from people who get around it. I've never seen people so talented at s***-talking than those who enjoy the regular beverage or 10.

Aslong as I’m steady with 9 pints then I’m fresh in morning. Bang them down me, and I would suffer a touch, but nothing too drastic. At the moment I’m off it. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Aslong as I’m steady with 9 pints then I’m fresh in morning. Bang them down me, and I would suffer a touch, but nothing too drastic. 

Same here

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

or spending $100 in one session on alcohol.

9 pints is about £35 in a local boozer

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Tobacco prices.

Don't come to the UK, Over £10 a pack of 20 now (unless you buy the REALLY crap brands)

I try not to go into double figures when drinking pints, and I rarely do tbf. Double figures, and that’s when you’re asking to be ill,  and imo once in double figures , you can’t be enjoying yourself. Take your time and you have a much better time, rather than banging them down you. 

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

9 pints is about £35 in a local boozer

So roughly $70. I suppose you could get that price here during happy hour.

Don't come to the UK, Over £10 a pack of 20 now (unless you buy the REALLY crap brands)

It's the same here mate. That is for the really crap brands too. Unless you buy the cheap illegal stuff.

45 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Now smoking is one thing I just don’t get. One for the don’t get thread though. 

Yeah, I've flirted with the idea that it's one of if not the worst drug on offer.

The fact that it's legal and it won't alter consciousness are the only things making it safer than alcohol or drugs.

I smoke about 5 a day and still enjoy it for the most part but the addiction and health risks are probably not worth the benefits.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

I don't drink anymore.

I almost never drink either. I can easily go months without even a beer or a glass of wine. I refuse to drink alcohol in front of my son, and usually by the time he’s in bed I can’t be bothered. I’ll very, very occassionaly have a glass of wine, and beer is rarer still.

It’s not like I decided not to drink, I just don’t really miss it, even if I do actually enjoy the taste of it. 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Now smoking is one thing I just don’t get. One for the don’t get thread though. 

One thing I’ve found with smoking, particularly at work, is that smokers tend to know all the gossip that’s going on. It’s like some silent social contract takes place once a lighter is taken out of a pocket and information is disseminated to all parties accordingly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michelsen said:

I almost never drink either. I can easily go months without even a beer or a glass of wine. I refuse to drink alcohol in front of my son, and usually by the time he’s in bed I can’t be bothered. I’ll very, very occassionaly have a glass of wine, and beer is rarer still.

It’s not like I decided not to drink, I just don’t really miss it, even if I do actually enjoy the taste of it. 

I used to drink quite a lot, but only on nights out. I don't come from a drinking family - my dad would occasionally have a shandy (made with Skol, because it was cheap) and we might have a bottle of Asti at Christmas, but that was it.

Going out, though, I'd drink like a fish. I needed to drink to lose myself in many ways, to shut my head off. I didn't actually enjoy it - I didn't really enjoy any alcoholic drink, I hated the hangovers, and I suffered horrendous post drinking guilt. I drank to be more sociable, and everyone would tell me I'm a more fun person drunk, but I'd still feel horrible about it the next day.

For various reasons I don't have much of a social life anymore, so I don't drink. I don't drink at home, there's no alcohol in the house at all as it's not needed, I don't drink on the rare occasions I go out, I don't drink at celebrations. I just stopped after Christmas a couple of years back.

I don't miss it. It would be nice to have that feeling of my head being 'off', and the various severe restrictions I place on myself mentally gone or reined in, but the booze isn't worth it. And there's nothing to enjoy with it anyway.

I've had about 8 lovely bottles of whisky in the drinks globe I gratefully received last Xmas.

I haven't finished one bottle yet, but they have all been tried. I think there's half a bottle of penderyn and 20 year old glennfiddich which are the most empty.

D'ya know what? I'm gonna have a little whisky tonight :)

Â