Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Would you like to share a link to Sally Baden's research, please?

Let me see what I can dig up, I'm too used to our intranet so I'll need to find the open source report. Do you have access to any online journal systems? (Ie Taylor & Francis)

Edited by magnkarl

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No.

Okay, then it's going to be a bit hard. If you go to your local library they might have it there. It's called Gender and Poverty, published ca 1995. It's become one of the works that underline why the 77p theory is wrong. I pasted an article above that might help to shed some light on this in the meantime. And I'll keep expanding on the 77p thing above.

Edited by magnkarl

37 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't think there's any branch of law that should receive less funding than 'Gender Studies'. 

I assume you mean branch of education. 

If so, "theology". 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I assume you mean branch of education. 

If so, "theology". 

Mythology.

(same thing though!)

38 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It boils down to the following: the theory doesn't compare apples with apples. If you want to compare the whole male workforce with the female workforce you'd need to find people who make the IDENTICAL choices when it comes to family and work priority. Men and women make different choices.

That's a silly cop out. You're never going to be able to have identical people and situations to compare in any situation.

Yes, simple averages are not going to tell an in-depth and complete story but if you want a more in-depth appreciation of things then you look at those other factors and adjust for them.

What you said in your post was:

Gender pay gap and why it's a myth.

In response, from the article you provided a link to:

People who want to argue that the 80% figure is mythical therefore need to be very precise in saying exactly what is mythical about it.

The most accurate summary is something like the following:  “It’s a myth that women get paid only 80% of what men do when they have the same skills and experience and are doing the same work, but it’s also a myth to claim that economics shows there is no gender discrimination in labor markets because studies show that economic factors cannot explain all of the gender wage gap.”

Edit: @limpidSorry, I've just posted this (as I was in the editor writing a reply and reading other pages) and then read your comment above afterwards.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

Move this crap to another (new) thread. This thread is for moaning. not bolitical duscussion.

Learn to spell you clearing in the woods ;) (thinking to myself I hope he does not take this the wrong way)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Running out of toilet paper mid wipe.

Happened to me earlier. It's a pain in the arse having to have to come back inside to grab some more loo roll then back outside again.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Happened to me earlier. It's a pain in the arse having to have to come back inside to grab some more loo roll then back outside again.

So, you either have an outside kharsey or you're a bear...

2 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Someone was selling something I want on eBay, but I wanted to ask a question about it before bidding.

He replied 2 days after the listing had finished. Bit late.

I do apologise. Once I've finished with the new butt plug im currently using then you will get first refusal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Cinema goers who turn up late for the film and then piss around on the steps looking for their seats. 

Well judging by the last few times I've been they are spoilt for choice. More empty seats than villa park ;)

• Like 1

Â