Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

48 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It continues to amaze me how people display such a distinct lack of empathy and think it's okay. 

Context: My missus is in a Whatsapp group with all her old friends from high school. She has another friend who went to a different high school. This friend's (A) family own a greenhouse company that supply greenhouses for 80% of Poland; ergo they're minted. Two days ago, A's dad died in a bike accident. Totally sudden. He was 48. Complete shock to everyone. The girl posted a picture on Instagram of a rainbow over their house with the captain 'this was you'.

The Whatsapp group start 1) making fun of her for posting shit on Instagram and 2) laughing about her. My missus goes mad at them and their response is 'she clearly got over it fast and is attention seeking. If your dad dies you don't make posts on Instagram blah blah blah'.

They also said this is our private group so we're just stating an opinion etc. I was speechless. What is wrong with people? If somebody's dad dies, they can react exactly how they want without any judgement or ridicule. Really angered me and upset my missus. I think she'll lose friends over it which is ridiculous.

Social media is a scourge.

Horrible

People can be cruel and social media can bring out the worst in people. 

People have always been that way but social media provides them a platform to reach a larger number of people to inflict their cruelty upon whilst hiding behind the relative safety of a screen. However, it is circular in that the more popular that becomes, the more people do it and the more kids think that it's okay to behave that way. It becomes the norm.

The older I get, the more I realise I'm becoming a misanthrope and the less patient I get with people. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt initially but it doesn't take long for me to suss someone out and place them firmly into the 'care' or 'waste of air' camps.

It sounds depressing, and it can be, but it makes you value the people who are worth it that much more. It's a sad reflection on the human race that most people I meet are selfish, cold, unsympathetic words removed, though.

Edited by Ginko

In the last week I strained my back, sprained my knee, and pinched a nerve in my neck. And got a sunburn to boot. My summer plans have hit a little snag...-_-

On 5/29/2016 at 07:01, Dr_Pangloss said:

Buzzfeed, everyone who contributes to it is a word removed, I hope it goes out of business.

I much prefer Clickhole.

On 6/9/2016 at 05:19, BOF said:

Simple rule of thumb for driving.  If your wipers are on, then your headlights should probably be on too.

A number of US states (per http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headlight-use/ ) require headlights to be on whenever wipers are operating (a few extend it to whenever conditions warrant using wipers).

Carparks absolutely everywhere should use this system instead of just a single line:

https://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Why-You-Shouldnt-Feel-Bad-About-Taking-Up-An-Entire-Parking-Spot_2.jpg

I hate driving around in car parks and i'll usually just find the first easy park I can and then walk longer. What's 20 seconds of walking anyway? Unless i'm buying something big or heavy, i'll just walk the extra 30 metres to where I parked my car. I can't understand why people would bother waiting for a closer park unless they are elderly or have a toddler in a stroller

Speaking of car park related irrational hatred, I hate people who back in in a crowded carpark. I've never been able to properly articulate why.

• Like 1

I remember this woman I used to work with. Tragic life. Abusive father, then she lost her two kids who were both in their 20's. I'm amazed at how people go on in spite of it all. The spirit to endure is immense in us.

People trying to make a bigger deal out of my upcoming birthday than it is. I've never been fussed with birthdays. Some people make a huge thing of their own and fair enough, that's your choice but I'm just not bothered with mine 

• Like 4

Bit of a strange one and probably only applies to me but I seem to have a problem spending money. Let me explain...

I'm not tight, just careful. I don't have an issue on spending money on certain things like holidays, eating out and obviously the mortgage on a property I could have purchased for half the price a few miles down the road, but I'm ok with the last one as I know its an investment. Its stuff like material goods... cars, phones, laptops, TVs, stereos, clothes, home furnishings etc. I just don't spend money on them. My TV is 8 years old and not even HD. I change phones only when the older one is broke. My laptop should have been put out of its misery by now. But when it comes to pushing the button to purchase something I just stop. I don't know what's the matter with me! What's the point of earning money if you can't enjoy it?

I think it may come down to being a bit reckless when I was 18 and got my first job. I was given a credit card with a limit which was equal to a years salary. Of course I spent it on designer clothes and running a 2.5 litre sports car which cost a bomb to insure. I got myself into debt which i eventually cleared myself (never told my parents) but i wonder if that bad experience has made me ultra careful now?

• Like 1

I think I could well of wrote those last two posts from Xela myself. Birthdays mean very little to me also. I've still got my HiFi I got for Christmas in 1996 (it is a bloody good one though), and the TV I got with my first wage from my first proper job. If it still works, I won't replace it. 

Edited by dAVe80

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bit of a strange one and probably only applies to me but I seem to have a problem spending money. Let me explain...

I'm not tight, just careful. I don't have an issue on spending money on certain things like holidays, eating out and obviously the mortgage on a property I could have purchased for half the price a few miles down the road, but I'm ok with the last one as I know its an investment. Its stuff like material goods... cars, phones, laptops, TVs, stereos, clothes, home furnishings etc. I just don't spend money on them. My TV is 8 years old and not even HD. I change phones only when the older one is broke. My laptop should have been put out of its misery by now. But when it comes to pushing the button to purchase something I just stop. I don't know what's the matter with me! What's the point of earning money if you can't enjoy it?

I think it may come down to being a bit reckless when I was 18 and got my first job. I was given a credit card with a limit which was equal to a years salary. Of course I spent it on designer clothes and running a 2.5 litre sports car which cost a bomb to insure. I got myself into debt which i eventually cleared myself (never told my parents) but i wonder if that bad experience has made me ultra careful now?

It's weird, but I often think the experience you had with debt is something people SHOULD experience as I think you're right, it makes you careful.

I had similar when I moved into my house. Ran up credit card debts but it told me how to manage my money and, for a while at least, I was very careful with money because I had to be.

I@m better now. I'm lucky that a promotion or two and some pay rises have meant I'm much more comfortable now so can splash out on things more. But I actually value that period when I was haemorrhaging money.

I'm careful with my money. I actively despise being in debt (the only exception being my student loan, which almost doesn't count). I've not actually owed anyone anything since clearing my student overdraft. I don't own a credit card and find loans near unconscionable. I'm going to have to borrow money in the near future and I already actively resent it.

But I'm not a skin flint. When I can afford something and want it I'll buy it if I don't need the money for something else. I buy loads of stuff other people would see as wastes. When I do spend on any large purchase I end up researching them for a long time to make sure I get the best thing I can.

As an offshoot of all that I really, really hate sales people. I hate the feeling of being coaxed into spending my money so tend to treat sales people with either suspicion or outright derision.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

Youth is wasted on the young and money is wasted on the old. :)

• Like 2

The utter Chuzzlewits who can't be arsed to indicate which exit they are taking off an island leaving you sitting there like a lemon,  not sure if to stick or twist so you miss a gap just because they can't be bothered to move a lever located next to their fingers. Bunch of cluck fusters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

People trying to make a bigger deal out of my upcoming birthday than it is. I've never been fussed with birthdays. Some people make a huge thing of their own and fair enough, that's your choice but I'm just not bothered with mine 

Likewise. I would also hate a surprise birthday party as well.  I would prefer just to go out on the razzle with a few friend than have the whole family and people you barely know stuck in a room together for the night.... Shivers. 

Â