Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

35 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Start looking out for comma splices; you'll never read a message board ever again.

(Start looking out for comma splices, you'll never read a message board ever again, LOL).

I can live with comma splices, I think they're borderline acceptable. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I consider myself skint if I've had to dip in to my emergency savings of 6 months' salary. If a big expenditure comes up and I have to use some of that, I cut out all luxuries until it's topped up again. I don't understand people who live payday to payday but are happy pissing money up the wall on nights out and new gadgets, it'd give me a panic attack.

Yep, if people are living payday to payday because it is out of necessity and have no choice then I really feel for them.  But I know people who go out to exhaust their reserves every month and treat their credit card limit like a target (and have literally had letters from the bank saying exactly that).  I would have terrible anxiety if my balance was always teetering just above the red and on occasions in the past when things were dodgy I can really appreciate the pressure some find themselves in all the time.  I think I'd have to develop some kind of self-defence mechanism where you just bury your head in the sand rather than think about it all.  Which might be what some do, ironically resulting in pissing money up the wall on nights out and new gadgets.

• Like 1

I used to work with a spendaholic woman who ran up massive credit card debts, and got herself declared bankrupt. She then won £600,000 on the lottery. Grrr...

Years ago, my brother in law got a new job in a small office where a month before they'd each won £200k (IIRC) on a lottery syndicate. 

They'd been paying into it for years with little winnings, so one bloke decided to stop paying it. It was the following week that they won. They had a meeting to discuss if they were going to split the winnings with him but decided against it. That's why he handed his notice in and my brother in law got his position.

I know this story is barely linked to the conversation, but I think about that man a lot.

• Like 1

We recently switched our utilities billing to a different tariff (same company), which is supposedly better due it having paperless billing. We have since been bombarded with paper mail confirming it. 

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Years ago, my brother in law got a new job in a small office where a month before they'd each won £200k (IIRC) on a lottery syndicate. 

They'd been paying into it for years with little winnings, so one bloke decided to stop paying it. It was the following week that they won. They had a meeting to discuss if they were going to split the winnings with him but decided against it. That's why he handed his notice in and my brother in law got his position.

I know this story is barely linked to the conversation, but I think about that man a lot.

What would you do in that situation? Say it was a £1m split between the 5 remaining members - £200k each. To add the bloke in would reduce your share down to £166k each (if my maths is right!). Had he formally left the syndicate? or just stopped paying? Tough decision! 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

What would you do in that situation? Say it was a £1m split between the 5 remaining members - £200k each. To add the bloke in would reduce your share down to £166k each (if my maths is right!). Had he formally left the syndicate? or just stopped paying? Tough decision! 

He'd formally left just the week before, I think.

I don't know, it's really tough. I think my vote would largely depend on if I liked the bloke or not to be honest. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Very tough. I'd like to say I'd forego some of my share to 'do the right thing'. But where do you draw the line? Someone who stopped playing 3 weeks ago? And it's a bit unfair to the people who decided not to stop playing because their implicit suggestion by continuing to play was that they thought there was a chance they were going to win and this guy didn't. Interesting one. I suppose I'd still think a week was such a small amount of time that he shouldn't be penalised for being unfortunate enough to stop playing at that particular time.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I don't know, it's really tough. I think my vote would largely depend on if I liked the bloke or not to be honest. :lol:

Me too.  If it's a mate and he'd been in for years then he might even have legal recourse but you'd probably let him back in.  If it's a colleague who you don't know, then it would probably depend on the amounts involved.

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah its a tough one. As he's formally left the syndicate and I assume a new one had been formed then its probably easier to say 'sorry pal, bad luck'. If it was a case of he'd not paid his £1 that week then it becomes a lot tougher. 

As you say, depends how close I was too them. But then again, where do you draw the line. People who work in the office but were never part of the syndicate? Do you feel bad for them as well? Hmmm its a tricky one. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

People who work in the office but were never part of the syndicate? Do you feel bad for them as well? Hmmm its a tricky one. 

:huh: Umm, no.  Not even nearly.  And I speak as someone who is not in a syndicate.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

:huh: Umm, no.  Not even nearly.  And I speak as someone who is not in a syndicate.

Exactly (I wasn't suggesting I would feel bad, just that where do you draw the line?) That should make cutting the bloke who left a week earlier out of it easier (possibly!). 

You have to be in it to win it as they say :)

Edited by Xela

And now that I've thought about it, I think anyone who leaves a syndicate would have to sign a letter stating that they formally leave on said date and hereby revoke all claim to future winnings of said syndicate.  Job done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I've now convinced myself I wouldn't give up my share to the bloke who left! 

That's the conclusion I always come to, but I forget about it for a while and then re-think it. 

I say tough shit. I was in a work syndicate. If I'd formally left it and they won, I'd have been kicking myself, but I wouldn't have expected a penny. Them's The Rules. 

• Like 2

Some of you are far nicer than I am for even considering it.

"Did you contribute to buying the tickets that won? No? Then **** off". I'd use some of my imaginary winnings to buy the world's smallest violin.

Â