Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

My Mother in Law, Episode 328.

She works 9-15 hours per week, and will do no more because that would jeopardise the amount of benefits she gets. Said benefits include, but are not limited to, the following:

Her entire rent is paid for in a respectable 3 bedroom semi.

Her entire council tax is paid for.

She gets help with paying for the heating & electricity.

Discounted entry to the local gym.

Every trip to the dentist is paid for.

And on top of all that... she actually gets paid money, paid money! to the tune of about £250 every month.

On the other hand, I get the honour of working 40-45 hours per week, none of the above and have £300 taken from me every month for the honour of not being a lazy leech on society.

What the actual **** is wrong with this country?

[/Leemond]

• Like 1

She works 9-15 hours per week, and will do no more because that would jeopardise the amount of benefits she gets. Said benefits include, but are not limited to, the following:

And on top of all that... she actually gets paid money, paid money! to the tune of about £250 every month.

On the other hand, I get the honour of working 40-45 hours per week, none of the above and have £300 taken from me every month for the honour of not being a lazy leech on society.

[/Leemond]

the problem is when a government tries to do something about rare instances like this  , it also damages those that don't abuse the system  and in some instances causes distress

It would be good if those abusing the system were stopped BUT only if it's done without harming those that do genuinely need it

• Like 3

[/Leemond]

the problem is when a government tries to do something about rare instances like this  , it also damages those that don't abuse the system  and in some instances causes distress

It would be good if those abusing the system were stopped BUT only if it's done without harming those that do genuinely need it

I can only speak from personal experience, but I know a number of people who abuse the system in such a way, and precisely none with a justifiable reason to deliberately keep their hours down.

There will be some people who need the help of such benefits, but I don't see what disincentivising working extra hours can really achieve?

I should say that I think the cost of childcare is a major problem for many people, which can often lead to this kind of scenario. Subsidising this (further) would be a far better use of the taxpayers money than paying for my MIL to go on her annual holiday to Tenerife.

Edited by Shillzz

people going sober for a month and then expecting you to sponsor them for it 

Walk to the North Pole with one leg tied behind your back  or fight 17 T-Rex's armed with a spoon or something and I might just make a donation

but giving up drinking for the month of October  Whoopty fu**in' doo

Yeah yeah I know , it's for a good cause and blah blah but seriously do something else for a good cause  , bake cakes and sell them , give hand jobs in the work place , clean cars etc

PS

I've been alcohol free in Sept so probably why I'm currently cranky

• Like 3

mjmooney, on 30 Sept 2013 - 6:15 PM, said:

I once went a whole year without drinking (2003). I saved money, lost weight, had no hangovers... and was rather bored. 

yeah I gave up drinking when I got serious about my athletics ... I got a buzz out of the competitive side of the running and improving my times  ... but as you say , it was also rather boring

I'd go back and do it again though , that's the stupid thing  .. was never Olympic class but God I loved that feeling of crossing the line before anyone else , shaving a hundredth of a second of my 100m time etc

As soon as they've given up giving up drinking at the end of October, the same bellends will be going around trying to get everyone to sponsor them again, this time for growing a moustache.

I'll sponsor them to leave me the **** alone for 6 months.

Davkaus, on 30 Sept 2013 - 6:34 PM, said:

As soon as they've given up giving up drinking at the end of October, the same bellends will be going around trying to get everyone to sponsor them again, this time for growing a moustache.

and that's just the women in my office

• Like 2

I did Movember last year, partly because I wanted to see how ridiculous I would look with a tash and also because pretty much everyone apart from the gay receptionist at work was doing it. 

It felt nice raising money for charity, but it did also make me realise how ridiculous Movember and Stoptober are. I felt as if I'd achieved nothing and friends and family felt pressured (indirectly, might I add) to sponsor me. 

My job has a 'busy season' where we do pretty much all of our business, which ended today. Which should be brilliant, we've all worked hard and theres been late nights and early mornings for all of us, and it's been an uphill slog since day one.

But instead it's a bit shit. Combination of things - you've got that feeling of emptiness where, for the last 2 or 3 months we've been busy working upto today, and now it's gone. And we had a couple of crap moments today, some business that has turned into an issue, and I've had let a couple of potential clients down because I simply couldn't help them, which now leaves them in very awkward positions.

Instead of walking out of the office tonight elated, I feel a bit dour.

I was in a car collision today.  Not my fault, I was stationary at traffic lights trying to get onto the m69 (lol).

Some 4 indian blokes driving a huge bmw smashed into my cars bum.

There was nothing around and it was a 4 lane dual carriageway..  How didn't they see me!?

Also, I wasn't even meant to be in Leicester today and it was because of a mistake our P.A. girl made.

poor car :(

edit, forgot to put the reason it pissed me off.

They jolted my car pretty bad, because my handbrake was on.  I held my neck for a good 4/5 seconds, looked in the rear view mirror and they were all sat there like idiots.

I had to get out first and they sheepishly wound their windows down.

Then they got out and rather than saying "You alright?" They all offered me cash because no one needs to go to the insurers.. 

That annoyed me :( 

Edited by lapal_fan

I was in a car collision today. Not my fault, I was stationary at traffic lights trying to get onto the m69 (lol). Some 4 indian blokes driving a huge bmw smashed into my cars bum. There was nothing around and it was a 4 lane dual carriageway.. How didn't they see me!? Also, I wasn't even meant to be in Leicester today and it was because of a mistake our P.A. girl made. poor car :( edit, forgot to put the reason it pissed me off. They jolted my car pretty bad, because my handbrake was on. I held my neck for a good 4/5 seconds, looked in the rear view mirror and they were all sat there like idiots. I had to get out first and they sheepishly wound their windows down. Then they got out and rather than saying "You alright?" They all offered me cash because no one needs to go to the insurers.. That annoyed me :(
Spurious claim for whiplash should improve your day :) Edited by tonyh29

Haha yea.

I've never had it before.

My neck is stiff and hurts when I turn it to the side, but I've taken some tablets and they seem to be working :)

Wouldn't even know who to call! :D

Don't worry , They will call you if you have reported the accident to your insurance company ...

• Like 1

Â