Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If you have, I've hardly noticed.

- Yours probably got lost among the 150 others   😆

At least gifs are more original than copy/pasting Twatter stuff anyone can read elsewhere.

Ok maybe not then 😛

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

We go to TGI’s once or twice a year. Went to the one in Sutton today, they’ve doubled up on taking the piss by ramping up the prices and making the portions smaller.

Sesame seed chicken, £20 each and much smaller than before. 

Service was shit as well.

They can piss off.

Was it busy? I used to like TGIs, but not been in years. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Doing a tip run today. That in now way pisses me off. I love a tip run, it's something that shouldn't cheer me up but does. What does piss me off though is that it's busy, it's clearly busy, all lanes are full as people are dropping off, but 2 cars occupants, aware it's **** busy, have done their unloading but are now having a nice old catch-up. Unload your shit and then piss off. rocket polishers. 

Did one myself today. Here's two things that pissed me off

1] the missus knowing that I'm going to the tip, decides there’s some other stuff to go, fairy nuff so she gets it together and puts it all in two bags. It doesn’t matter how many times I tell her not to do this because different things go in different skips and it just means I have to unpack it all before I even get it in the car because I need to put it in a certain order because there’s two sides to the tip and you have to do the stuff on one side first then do the stuff in the other side. Grrrrrr She still doesn’t see how she’s made things harder than just leaving them in piles and letting me sort it out, no bags are neater.

2) Cardboard has to be flattened at the tip (another part of the issue above boxes put inside other boxes) anyway there’s a bloke at the cardboard slot before me, it’s a slot to force you to collapse it all before you chuck it in (makes perfect sense), everyone turns up with the majority of their cardboard pre-flattened, mines in two easily ripped at the scene boxes full of pre-flattened cardboard. Anyway the whopper in front of me hasn’t flattened his one and only box and he’s trying to force it in through the slot, it’s about six times the size of the slot. He tries it every which way, a queue is now forming and it’s blindingly obvious it won’t fit unless he rips it up. People are beginning to mutter because the other cardboard slot is off limits as the Guardians of the Tip are moving a new skip into place. Someone shouts “you need to rip it up mate”. “No it'll go now, you'll see”. One of the Guardians of the Tip eventually sees the commotion and comes to investigate and deals with it appropriately “Are you f***ing stupid, step aside, collapse the box and let all the people who've done it properly put their stuff in and the join the queue you've caused at the back” “No, it'll g…”. GotT has a face like thunder, dimwit eventually does as he's told.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Did one myself today. Here's two things that pissed me off

1] the missus knowing that I'm going to the tip, decides there’s some other stuff to go, fairy nuff so she gets it together and puts it all in two bags. It doesn’t matter how many times I tell her not to do this because different things go in different skips and it just means I have to unpack it all before I even get it in the car because I need to put it in a certain order because there’s two sides to the tip and you have to do the stuff on one side first then do the stuff in the other side. Grrrrrr She still doesn’t see how she’s made things harder than just leaving them in piles and letting me sort it out, no bags are neater.

2) Cardboard has to be flattened at the tip (another part of the issue above boxes put inside other boxes) anyway there’s a bloke at the cardboard slot before me, it’s a slot to force you to collapse it all before you chuck it in (makes perfect sense), everyone turns up with the majority of their cardboard pre-flattened, mines in two easily ripped at the scene boxes full of pre-flattened cardboard. Anyway the whopper in front of me hasn’t flattened his one and only box and he’s trying to force it in through the slot, it’s about six times the size of the slot. He tries it every which way, a queue is now forming and it’s blindingly obvious it won’t fit unless he rips it up. People are beginning to mutter because the other cardboard slot is off limits as the Guardians of the Tip are moving a new skip into place. Someone shouts “you need to rip it up mate”. “No it'll go now, you'll see”. One of the Guardians of the Tip eventually sees the commotion and comes to investigate and deals with it appropriately “Are you f***ing stupid, step aside, collapse the box and let all the people who've done it properly put their stuff in and the join the queue you've caused at the back” “No, it'll g…”. GotT has a face like thunder, dimwit eventually does as he's told.

If it’s in a black bag then it goes in the “other waste” skip. Job done.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

If it’s in a black bag then it goes in the “other waste” skip. Job done.

Not around here it doesn’t.  Items going in the ‘absolutely cannot be recycled’ skip first get put on a table and you’re usually told where it can go, nothing in a bag reaches a skip.

Ten years ago, recycling rates here were something like 15%, it’s now pushing 70% and already ahead of the council’s 2025 recycling target.

But then, we do have the seven deadly bins (we actually have eight).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Not around here it doesn’t.  Items going in the ‘absolutely cannot be recycled’ skip first get put on a table and you’re usually told where it can go, nothing in a bag reaches a skip.

Ten years ago, recycling rates here were something like 15%, it’s now pushing 70% and already ahead of the council’s 2025 recycling target.

But then, we do have the seven deadly bins (we actually have eight).

None of that here, there’s barely ever any staff on duty. I’m sure recycling rates are similar to your 75% though from memory last time I went.

On 08/12/2023 at 10:44, mjmooney said:

I used to be DBA (sorry, database administrator) - and user trainer - on a big student record system, in which every front-end screen was identified by a TLA (three-letter acronym). Sometimes even an FLA. So Student Course Enrolment was SCE, and so on. There were literally hundreds of these, and the end-users soon started referring to the system as TMA - Too Many Acronyms. 

Just about every test procedure, test schedule, specification, ICD (sorry, interface control definition) technical report, safety case…etc I have written or read has a LoA (list of acronyms) at the front. That’s not the annoying thing. The annoying things are twofold. Firstly having to compile the list, which nearly always runs to more than a page, but secondly because the LoA is mostly a list of initialisms, not acronyms. Radar and laser are acronyms, RHWR and AHS are initialisms. And then there’s the habit of people endeavouring to come up with acronyms for systems or weapons and stuff that sort of give a sense of what they are. I think the worst one that still bugs me was a test set that was called Captain Marvel, because it was an MMS Automatic RAM Verification Equipment Link. Grrr.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Guardians of the Tip

They’re more like tip Wombles round here. Not at all fierce and pretty friendly. My annoyance is the number of times I go there and there’s a massive queue caused by the big skip truck moving a full skip out of its slot and putting in an empty one. I had a 4 in a row series of visits where this happened, all at different days and times.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Just about every test procedure, test schedule, specification, ICD (sorry, interface control definition) technical report, safety case…etc I have written or read has a LoA (list of acronyms) at the front. That’s not the annoying thing. The annoying things are twofold. Firstly having to compile the list, which nearly always runs to more than a page, but secondly because the LoA is mostly a list of initialisms, not acronyms. Radar and laser are acronyms, RHWR and AHS are initialisms. And then there’s the habit of people endeavouring to come up with acronyms for systems or weapons and stuff that sort of give a sense of what they are. I think the worst one that still bugs me was a test set that was called Captain Marvel, because it was an MMS Automatic RAM Verification Equipment Link. Grrr.

You're quite right about acronyms vs initialisms, but I gave up that battle long ago. 

On 09/12/2023 at 20:49, Genie said:

We go to TGI’s once or twice a year. Went to the one in Sutton today, they’ve doubled up on taking the piss by ramping up the prices and making the portions smaller.

Sesame seed chicken, £20 each and much smaller than before. 

Service was shit as well.

They can piss off.

My sister used to work at the one in Solihull so I tended to go relatively regularly given we got a healthy discount.

It was almost always completely shit. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

My sister used to work at the one in Solihull so I tended to go relatively regularly given we got a healthy discount.

It was almost always completely shit. 

We won’t be rushing back that’s for sure.

Â