Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

"Well quite frankly, unless it's been produced in Switzerland with at least 75% Ecuadorian Cocoa beans that have been sourced from the Sierra region then I wo-..."

image.png.6b4a9cc8041f0eb92b64795f364cbebc.png

Knock yourself out, but I'm sticking with Cadbury's boost :D

Galaxy > Cadbury

Maybe that's one for the unpopular opinion thread though :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If I'm not mistaken they changed the shape of the blocks at some point? That can have a surprising difference to the flavour of chocolate, I couldn't believe quite how much until I'd tried a side by side comparison at a chocolate tasting event a few years ago

So it could be that, or you might be right, and it's just a bit like loads of people insisting Walkers used to have their salt and vinegar crisps in blue bags 

It's possible, as I believe surface area of chocolate has an effect on how it tastes.  Something like a Twirl or Flake has more surface area and tastes better to me.  So many chocolate bars/blocks have changed shape over the years in a way to make them look like they haven't really changed while actually getting smaller so it wouldn't surprise me if people notice a change in taste when the actual recipe is the same.

8 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Had a bit of a @Xelamoment yesterday:

I have 5 family birthdays this month along with the usual Xmas cards to get so I decided to bite the bullet and get them all in one go. The missus took me into the card factory in the decimated gracechurch centre......bloody hell ! It was like a rugby scrum....rammed with people who dress themselves from sports direct, sour faced and impolite and many with a certain "aroma"

I just had to leave.....I mean, I was wearing my best Champion joggers which alone commands respect....so I headed up to Clinton's and it was like stepping in to a business class lounge; all serene and a much nicer clientele. Even paying for a bag was ok and the cashier didn't snarl "you want anything else, or what ?!" like the other shop's staff were overheard saying on my way out !

The Gracechurch now looks like it belongs in Chernobyl. Or Wales.

Two words mate. Funky Pigeon. Never shall I have to endure card shopping in person. One of the most soul crushing tasks known to man. 

Oh, Champion joggers?

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47sgjjeuqpif3fph2j6qx

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Correct! There's a complete album going for £650 on Ebay, bargain!

I still have mine. I did complete one... may have been '88 or '89. You could order up to 50 stickers using that grid they had towards the back. I remember my Dad ordering them for me! :) 

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Galaxy > Cadbury

Maybe that's one for the unpopular opinion thread though :D 

Some time last year after a trip to England me and the wife sat down and ate a bar of galaxy caramel, Cadbury caramel and a milka caramel

Galaxy we both had as 2nd best but whereas I had Cadburys 1st she had milka 

The whole shape impacting the flavour comment could be on to something, milka is flatter as a bar and it's blander imo 

And the main thing that kraft have seemingly changed is they've moved on to the 180g (?) slab, that seems the core of the business now and they've crept in price over the last couple of years (£1.50 when on offer now I think) that seems to be where all their effort, what was the last new cadburys chocolate bar? In comparison they release 4 or 5 new flavours in the slabs (of which the mini egg is probably my favourite, wasn't expecting it to work as well as it does) - but I don't know if that's sugar tax related or just like how the bottle has seemingly killed off the can of coke 

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They’re not. Unless the ingredients they list are lies. Which would be illegal. 

Are the ingredient amounts the same? Is it produced in the same way? 

Have they said nothing has changed?

I'm not saying it has or hasn't changed, just wondering. 

Yeah, they won’t necessarily have changed the list of ingredients, they won’t have swapped cocoa for powdered puppy shit. But they might well have changed the proportions or cook times or chill times or something in the process to save 2p.

Taste is personal, we don’t all like the same thing, and we often eat and taste with our eyes and preconceptions. All I know is, in a blinded taste test we did for a school science thing, out of Cadbury, Galaxy, and Lidl it was Cadbury that came last*. Personally, I wouldn’t consider buying Cadbury if others were available. It tastes a bit more like ‘candy’ sometimes than chocolate, and that’s before you start the unfair comparisons with ‘posh’ chocolate. Which might be what’s spoilt a few people. If you’ve been popping Lindt or Hotel Chocolat product for a while, then the cloying sugary grainy ‘cheap’ chocolate can taste like they’ve swapped cocoa for powdered puppy shit and sugar.

*in the same test, Pepsi Max won the battle of the colas.

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Are the ingredient amounts the same? Is it produced in the same way? 

Have they said nothing has changed?

I'm not saying it has or hasn't changed, just wondering. 

Yes yes and yes

The only thing that can possibly change is the milk, because it's sourced from local producers so you can get slight changes in taste from batch to batch based on that.

But the recipe for cadburys chocolate is completely unchanged, despite the urban myth

Edit: actually I can't say I'm sure about how it's produced. I'd imagine production methods are always being updated so who knows on that front.
But ultimately the urban myth is that Kraft took over and changed the recipe to save costs. And people will swear blind that this is true and that the moment they did it cadburys chocolate started tasting shit.
It's not true

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, they won’t necessarily have changed the list of ingredients, they won’t have swapped cocoa for powdered puppy shit. But they might well have changed the proportions or cook times or chill times or something in the process to save 2p.

Taste is personal, we don’t all like the same thing, and we often eat and taste with our eyes and preconceptions. All I know is, in a blinded taste test we did for a school science thing, out of Cadbury, Galaxy, and Lidl it was Cadbury that came last*. Personally, I wouldn’t consider buying Cadbury if others were available. It tastes a bit more like ‘candy’ sometimes than chocolate, and that’s before you start the unfair comparisons with ‘posh’ chocolate. Which might be what’s spoilt a few people. If you’ve been popping Lindt or Hotel Chocolat product for a while, then the cloying sugary grainy ‘cheap’ chocolate can taste like they’ve swapped cocoa for powdered puppy shit and sugar.

*in the same test, Pepsi Max won the battle of the colas.

Pepsi Max is the best cola so that doesn't surprise me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Pepsi Max is the best cola so that doesn't surprise me

It surprised the kids, they had insisted they only liked Coca Cola. As a school science experiment, it really showed them the power of suggestion and advertising and all that.

Side note: Ubuntu fair trade cola was universally bottom of everyone’s preferences as it tastes like diluted drain cleaner.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

It surprised the kids, they had insisted they only liked Coca Cola. As a school science experiment, it really showed them the power of suggestion and advertising and all that.

Side note: Ubuntu fair trade cola was universally bottom of everyone’s preferences as it tastes like diluted drain cleaner.

I think bad cola is really noticeable. It tastes horrible.

CocaCola and Pepsi are largely similar imo. but the full fat version taste almost too sweet these days. I don't know if that's because people have got used to diet/zero versions

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Didn't know they'd branched out from the operating systems game. Seems an odd way to go though, and the results indicate as much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think bad cola is really noticeable. It tastes horrible.

CocaCola and Pepsi are largely similar imo. but the full fat version taste almost too sweet these days. I don't know if that's because people have got used to diet/zero versions

I really noticed full fat cola on my teeth after drinking it. Gritty and horrible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Didn't know they'd branched out from the operating systems game. Seems an odd way to go though, and the results indicate as much.

Ubuntu just means equality so I’d suspect it can be used by several companies providing they tweek it. Although ‘Easy’ cola would see litigation I’m sure.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Or even just the quality of the raw materials, not all cacoa is equal. I'm not sure if it's changed, I don't eat the stuff, but as you say, plenty of ways to mess with the end product without it affecting the ingredient list

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Â