Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

13 hours ago, tomav84 said:

been in 2 lounges in my life and thought both were pretty shit (the c.30 quid ones you mentioned)

i think you need to fly business/first and have access to the airline's own lounges to get one half decent

That's the thing that 'pisses me off but shouldn't'.

What do you mean by 'half decent' . You get a seat, a drink, some food, what else do you want?

I never understood how people can spend £400-500 extra on plane 'luxuries'. You can have a great time (and get plenty to drink) at an airport if you are smart about it, and do so relatively cheaply. 

I get it's nice to have a large seat on a plane to the US. But is the inconvenience of having a slightly smaller seat worth of £400-500 upgrade? It's 8-10 hours. You get in, have some food, watch a movie, have a nap, have some drinks, and all of a sudden you are there.

Spending extreme money on flying and lounging  is crazy. Sure some people have that money. But why waste it on a slightly bigger seat?! 

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

What do you mean by 'half decent' . You get a seat, a drink, some food, what else do you want?

I never understood how people can spend £400-500 extra on plane 'luxuries'. You can have a great time (and get plenty to drink) at an airport if you are smart about it, and do so relatively cheaply. 

I get it's nice to have a large seat on a plane to the US. But is the inconvenience of having a slightly smaller seat worth of £400-500 upgrade? It's 8-10 hours. You get in, have some food, watch a movie, have a nap, have some drinks, and all of a sudden you are there.

Spending extreme money on flying and lounging  is crazy. Sure some people have that money. But why waste it on a slightly bigger seat?! 

Yeah, that’s certainly something I don’t get, the people that pay thousands for upgraded seats on long haul flights.

I find economy perfectly fine. You tend to get unlimited drinks (within reason), a hot meal or 2, a cold meal, TV, films, box sets, games, a decent sized seat, usb charger if you want to do stuff on your phone. I think most have wifi now too.

Why pay more? Even if I was loaded I don’t think I could justify it. 

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

So I’m now back at home … 6 hour delay with the flight and then just as we were about to board they cancelled the flight   until tomorrow at 10:30 

blamed it on the weather in Seville when we would land , but it will be that the crew have gone over their allotted hours and aren’t allowed to fly 

quite shameful stuff though by some passengers  , screaming at the staff , some fingers being prodded in faces , I get people are frustrated but no excuse  for that sort of behaviour 

i really dont understand the people who complain about Plane cancellations due to weather or safety issues. Im pretty happy sat safely on the ground thank you.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Will you get a nice payout of compensation? 

BA are blaming the weather so at first glance no … but I’ll write  to them , last time it happened they said I wasn’t entitled to any compensation but gave me some avios and some money as gesture of goodwill 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i really dont understand the people who complain about Plane cancellations due to weather or safety issues. Im pretty happy sat safely on the ground thank you.

I remember an episode of Airline which was during 9/11. Even then people were moaning at the staff.

It's a worldwide ban on flights mate, do you really expect Easyjet to defy THE WORLD to make sure you get to Benidorm on time?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

BA are blaming the weather so at first glance no … but I’ll write  to them , last time it happened they said I wasn’t entitled to any compensation but gave me some avios and some money as gesture of goodwill 

Avios. The most pointless "rewards" system ever invented. I've got them coming out of my ears so checked to see what they were worth. I could get a fiver off a bottle of wine on my next flight. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

Avios. The most pointless "rewards" system ever invented. I've got them coming out of my ears so checked to see what they were worth. I could get a fiver off a bottle of wine on my next flight. 

I rarely fly, so I have no idea about this sort of thing, but back in the late 90s when my sister in law in the US was a fairly frequent flyer, she was coming over to visit us, and the guy in the booking office asked her if she wanted to use her Air Miles against the cost of the transatlantic flight. "Oh, OK," she said, "How much would it cover?" 

"All of it". 

I guess things have changed. 

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

I convert all mine to Nectar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Favourite airport has to be Cardiff International. OK we’re coming in to land but because its after 5:00pm everyone’s gone home and the terminal is closed, but don’t worry they’ve left the side gate open.

I also like Malta Intrnational Airport. 

Is my plane here? Let’s look out of the window, there’s a plane so yes, that’s probably mine.

Right everyone, outside and on the bus, get on the bus, vroommm, go 50 metres, stop, right everyone off the bus and on the plane quick as you can because there’s another plane coming in a little while and it’ll be mad if there’s two in at the same time someone will likely accidentally end up in Zurich.

Olympic Dam for me, for similar reasons.

Library - 900 of 3893.jpegLibrary - 901 of 3893.jpeg

Those were taken 10 years ago - they later built a waiting portacabin to supplement the two benches out front which comprised the previous "waiting room".  Just next to the airport building is the car hire place. But essentially the whole airport infrastructure is in those 2 pictures. Simple is best.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, choffer said:

Are you redeeming them directly on BA ?

I’ve flown to Japan , Barbados and Mexico in business with them … and more recently been using them to fly to Hungary for 10,000 avios and £1 

they are a great currency via their website , I’d rather the avios than cash tbh

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomav84 said:

yeah that would be my message to anyone paying for a lounge...it's better than being sat in wetherspoons for 4 hours, but don't expect luxury

I've booked to go in the Number 1 lounge on Friday at Birmingham. Not been in one before but just figured I'm going to need something to eat and will probably end up having a few beers too so just thought I'd spend the £30 anyway plus on my own as mates going from elsewhere. So just hoping for somewhere a bit more comfortable than the main lounge to chill for a couple of hours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

well the lounge i was in was well oversold. we JUST got a seat, others coming in had to wait...so for £30, you weren't guaranteed a seat.

so we've just got back from florida...when we went a few years back we were in economy and honestly, it wasn't a fun 9 hours. parents letting their kids literally running around the plane, bashing into us, all very noisy etc. so this time we went premium economy...never been out of economy before and honestly, it was glorious in comparison. worth the increase? probably not, but we've both said we can't fly long haul in economy again. when you're spending 1000s on a holiday anyway, what's a few extra hundred.

I had a dreadful flight back from Vegas last year and vowed not to get on a plane unless it was premium ever again. End of next month I am going to Paris in economy, I never learn but at least its only an hour and a quarter.

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well the lounge i was in was well oversold. we JUST got a seat, others coming in had to wait...so for £30, you weren't guaranteed a seat.

so we've just got back from florida...when we went a few years back we were in economy and honestly, it wasn't a fun 9 hours. parents letting their kids literally running around the plane, bashing into us, all very noisy etc. so this time we went premium economy...never been out of economy before and honestly, it was glorious in comparison. worth the increase? probably not, but we've both said we can't fly long haul in economy again. when you're spending 1000s on a holiday anyway, what's a few extra hundred.

You were probably unlucky there was those little buggers near you on that flight, they could have also popped up in premium economy on another day.

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I had a dreadful flight back from Vegas last year and vowed not to get on a plane unless it was premium ever again. End of next month I am going to Paris in economy, I never learn but at least its only an hour and a quarter.

on the flip side i never understand people that upgrade for short haul...you get no real benefits apart from that weird seat that has a makeshift table next to you. as you say, it's not long...by the time you've taken off they start the decent

for the benefits you get, the premium upgrade price is definitely not worth it (we were on virgin and it was double that of economy) but by god it was lovely.

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

That will be the default response pretty much regardless of if they even had a plane there or if the pilot was pissed.

4 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I've booked to go in the Number 1 lounge on Friday at Birmingham. Not been in one before but just figured I'm going to need something to eat and will probably end up having a few beers too so just thought I'd spend the £30 anyway plus on my own as mates going from elsewhere. So just hoping for somewhere a bit more comfortable than the main lounge to chill for a couple of hours.

Go on a weekend, get your full time in there for food and drinks and you'll easily have your money's worth - if you'd be drinking anyway - nevermind the extra comfort (assuming, in relation to above, that you can easily get seat in fact).

Premium class flying is, well it's hard to say worth the money or not, but it is a joy compared to economy for long haul flights. But that's mainly about the ability to sleep if and when needed. I like, insofar as can handle and have flown hundreds of times, on Ryanair, but overnight I'd be considering an upgrade.

Flying to east coast USA though and not even overnight? Not much point. But it's also about if you can get a row of seats for yourself - in a family that's easier actually, whereas for a couple there are only a few if any good seats in economy, you'll be squeezed inbetween someone inevitably. Sat for 6 hours with a movie and food? Fine. Sleep? Forget it.

Â