Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On a similar note, I didn't realise when I bought my house that it was under the flight path for birmingham airport.

We've moved from living on a main road, which was just constant (and I mean constant, even at night) road noise, to a really quiet road. but it's interrupted periodically by planes flying over.

Don't get me wrong, we're far enough away from the airport that the planes are still pretty high. The noise is only like a car driving past. But it pisses me off that I didn't even consider the possibility before I moved

You get used to it, we're right on the normal take off path for John Lemon Airport, just at the point where planes heading east bank to the right. Not so bad for us though because at JLA you get two hours of take off from about 6:30 am when I am generally up anyway, then I’m in work or out most days and in the evenings it’s generally landings and that’s just Runcorn, Widnes and Speke's problem, which is no more than those inbreds deserve :D 

Sometimes he wind will be in the opposite direction so the pattern gets reversed but not very often

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My renewal quote for my car insurance is 112% higher than my current premium.

Seems fair

Absolute cobblers isn't it?

My wife's has just gone up from £13 per month to £24 with the same provider...comparison sites were coming back with much, much worse.

Pirates the lot of 'em.

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

You get used to it, we're right on the normal take off path for John Lemon Airport, just at the point where planes heading east bank to the right. Not so bad for us though because at JLA you get two hours of take off from about 6:30 am when I am generally up anyway, then I’m in work or out most days and in the evenings it’s generally landings and that’s just Runcorn, Widnes and Speke's problem, which is no more than those inbreds deserve :D 

Sometimes he wind will be in the opposite direction so the pattern gets reversed but not very often

20+ years directly under the flightpath into Heathrow. About 3 miles as the crow/A380 flies. 650 of them a day, mostly 45 seconds apart. I never notice them these days but always have spare earplugs for any friends and family visitors to ensure they get a decent night sleep. 

1 minute ago, choffer said:

20+ years directly under the flightpath into Heathrow. About 3 miles as the crow/A380 flies. 650 of them a day, mostly 45 seconds apart. I never notice them these days but always have spare earplugs for any friends and family visitors to ensure they get a decent night sleep. 

Yeah I've got mates that live in Barnes and places directly on the flight path. It’s the same with railway lines, after a couple of months you just naturally tune the noise out and don’t notice it

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s the same with railway lines, after a couple of months you just naturally tune the noise out and don’t notice it

Can testify, back onto the West Coast Mainline, probably 20 metres behind the house.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

the-hate-is-strong-with-this-one-hate.gi

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

My wife's has just gone up from £13 per month to £24 with the same provider...comparison sites were coming back with much, much worse.

Pirates the lot of 'em.

It is cobblers and they are all pirates. 

You should set up a car insurance company and undercut them, you'd earn a bloody fortune 

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Pirates the lot of 'em.

Mine's gone from 67 a month to 142

Mental

• Shocked 1

On 19/08/2023 at 22:58, Xela said:

Car parks where you have to input your reg number at the ticket machine... that doesn't piss me off, its the sheer volume of people that don't know their reg numbers when they get to the front of the queue. 

I've noticed some of these machines have the keyboard in a weird layout. A-Z vertically then 0-9. For some reason my pea brain can't handle this and it looks like the keyboard is in Mandarin. Takes me at least 10 seconds to find each character.

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah I've got mates that live in Barnes and places directly on the flight path. It’s the same with railway lines, after a couple of months you just naturally tune the noise out and don’t notice it

What about bagpipes?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What about bagpipes?

I've moved 12 miles away and I can still imagine the terrifying noise 5 months later…

Anyway as his bagpipes obviously couldn’t be tuned you can’t tune them out :D 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is it me? But why is evertime I go back to the car carrying something, so have only 1 free hand, my keys are always in the opposite pocket. 

Dominant hand, you need to think ahead. No need to thank me

• Haha 1

I don't know if there has been a law change or something, but one good thing I've noticed about car insurance renewals now is that if you've found a better deal elsewhere, you can log on to your account and choose not to have automatic renewal with your old provider. Me and my wife have just done that with different companies.

Much better than that painful phone call.

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is it me? But why is evertime I go back to the car carrying something, so have only 1 free hand, my keys are always in the opposite pocket. 

Doesn’t your fancy merc have keyless entry?

Mine has keyless start but not keyless entry. It makes it harder to steal but occasionally harder to open when carrying stuff.

Well perhaps my indignation this morning that my wife’s car insurance has just gone up from £260 to nearly £300 might have been a little uncalled for.

The benefits of being good people living in a nice area I guess.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yeah I've got mates that live in Barnes and places directly on the flight path.

Ha. Barnes is twice as far away as I am. I can get a wave from the pilots on the way in ;)

• Haha 1

Â