Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I respectfully disagree, Spoty is far from perfect but as a discovery tool it's the best. I only use it on the move and the algorithms for new music are better than all the rest

Dunno if it works for the genres you lot like, but I find the Spotify '<artist name> radio' feature works really well for me. Mixes the familiar with the 'new to me' with a high degree of compatibility. Very good on a roadtrip. 

• Like 2

How would you interpret this roadsign? I've come across it often enough now to know what it means, but I still sometimes have to remind myself. 

Intuitively, I would interpret it to mean 'the road ahead (i.e. the one you're on now') is about to close, and you need to turn off to the left. 

But that isn't what it means. It means that a road off to the left, somewhere up ahead, is closed, and you won't be able to turn into it. 

There must be a better way. 'No left turn, 100m ahead', something like that? 

Woking_Bradfield_Close_York_Road_road_ahead_closed_sign_September_2009_2.JPG

• Like 2

I'm sure this has been mentioned multiple times in this thread but "HUMBLED".

There is a usage of this which is fine, which is where you've actually been made to realise what a piece of shit you are.

But yeah when people use it to mean I am swollen with pride and self-satisfaction as I type this LinkedIn update - **** off!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

Well if you're paying £10 a month for Spotify anyway, then you can have Youtube Music and Youtube Premium for only £2 more.

Makes more sense for someone like you, rather than someone who only uses free Spotify and has to pay £12 extra.

It makes sense what you say, but I like Spotify and I don't like change! Got a load of different playlists built up over the years. 

Had a Spotify account for ages - I'm gonna say 15 years? Back when it was invite only - think it may have been @Tegis who sent me the invite?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When people (and usually commentators) say “there’ll be an applause in the 19th minute for Stiliyan Petrov to represent his shirt number” (for example), when actually it starts at the 19 minute mark and therefore is the 20th minute. Really shouldn’t wind me up, but it does. 

So many football pundits that don't know top 5 essentially gets you CL football next season. Top 4, Top 4 is just their line 24/7

IT's your job, it's not hard to say, it's a Top 5 now for CL 

Yet again, English speakers' refusal to at least attempt to pronounce foreign names correctly. In this case, Carlos Alcaraz. Fair play to Andrew Castle (I think) who was pronouncing the lisped 'z'. McEnroe, being American, of course wasn't - perhaps forgivable, as Latin Americans don't do it. But the umpire was doggedly sticking with the Anglophone 'z'. You'd think they would know better, or at least be told. 

Edited by mjmooney

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yet again, English speakers' refusal to at least attempt to pronounce foreign names correctly. In this case, Carlos Alcaraz. Fair play to Andrew Castle (I think) who was pronouncing the lisped 'z'. McEnroe, being American, of course wasn't - perhaps forgivable, as Latin Americans don't do it. But the umpire was doggedly sticking with the Anglophone 'z'. You'd think they would know better, or at least be told. 

This is a tricky one because the Spanish Z isn’t even pronounced “th” in all of Spain, let alone Latin America, and it can sound like an affectation when people do it in English.

Think the BBC have guidelines on pronouncing foreign names and words where the aim is to approximate the original pronunciation, but not put on an accent or confuse the audience.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This is a tricky one because the Spanish Z isn’t even pronounced “th” in all of Spain, let alone Latin America, and it can sound like an affectation when people do it in English. 

That's our problem, not theirs. 

And the Spanish lady I was talking to last week definitely pronounced his name with the lisp. If, for some reason, Carlos and his family do not, then fair enough, I stand corrected in this instance. My general gripe still stands. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That's our problem, not theirs. 

And the Spanish lady I was talking to last week definitely pronounced his name with the lisp. If, for some reason, Carlos and his family do not, then fair enough, I stand corrected in this instance. My general gripe still stands. 

I think he would say Alcarath, but it’s also correct Spanish to say Alcarass. They don’t have the hard Z sound in Spanish, but it’s near enough IMO. (Eg most Villa fans probably say Emi MartineZ rather than Dibu Martiness).

Flipping it round, if you’re speaking a foreign language and need to say an English name, it’s usually better to change the intonation and pronunciation to make it fit the foreign language, than to suddenly drop into your English accent. It just sounds very jarring otherwise and it’s hard for people to understand unless they speak both languages.

On 15/07/2023 at 11:33, KentVillan said:

I think he would say Alcarath, but it’s also correct Spanish to say Alcarass. They don’t have the hard Z sound in Spanish, but it’s near enough IMO. (Eg most Villa fans probably say Emi MartineZ rather than Dibu Martiness).

Flipping it round, if you’re speaking a foreign language and need to say an English name, it’s usually better to change the intonation and pronunciation to make it fit the foreign language, than to suddenly drop into your English accent. It just sounds very jarring otherwise and it’s hard for people to understand unless they speak both languages.

Emi is South American so wouldn’t lisp the Z anyway 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

What I've always found a little strange is how languages have their own versions of names of countries. Especially this day and age, surely you should just call a country what they call it.

Until Russia changes its name to That F***ing Country I will refuse

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

What I've always found a little strange is how languages have their own versions of names of countries. Especially this day and age, surely you should just call a country what they call it.

Ah, but there's a paradox: What we call other places is also part of our own identity in expressive and important ways, is it not, and maybe something others want to hear? What others call my homeland in their language, for example, can tell me more about culture and perhaps even enrich my perspective. Interesting subject, anyway. I do get your point. 

A good podcast on related topic. What, why, and how we label things in "reality" (whatever that may be) is so incredibly complicated!

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

Wales the english word for, er, Wales, roughly translates as outsiders / others.

Cymru, the actual name of the country, means friends / fellows / countrymen.

I look forward to this correct naming convention coming in to play.

Yr Wyddfa!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â