Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Tom Collins is the king of cocktails.  As long as it's not prepared by some clearing in the woods of a mixologist with a hipster beard. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I hate waiting at a bar when the person in front of me has ordered cocktails. I'm seething as I'm standing there. All I want is a pint but i've got to sit through the charade of the barman thinking he's Tom Cruise, throwing bottles up in the air. There should be a separate cocktail bar. Otherwise it can cause carnage. 

correct-yes.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

This pisses me off. Only Sir Ron Saunders got a free pass on this crime

Wow. I'd definitely have a cocktail mixed by Sir Ron. The man's talent had no end. 

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I hate waiting at a bar when the person in front of me has ordered cocktails. I'm seething as I'm standing there. All I want is a pint but i've got to sit through the charade of the barman thinking he's Tom Cruise, throwing bottles up in the air. 

See also coffee shops. All I want is a filter coffee or an americano, and the clearing in the woods in front is all "Can I get... a double decaff mocha latte with soya milk... aaaand... can I get... a Danish pastry... aaaand... can I get...." (cont. on p.94) 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

All I want is … an americano

Why the heck would anyone want that?  Weak, watery coffee is vile. You are being justly punished by having to wait in purgatory while the dithering hipsters pfaff around ordering whatever those things mean.

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

See also coffee shops. All I want is a filter coffee or an americano, and the clearing in the woods in front is all "Can I get... a double decaff mocha latte with soya milk... aaaand... can I get... a Danish pastry... aaaand... can I get...." (cont. on p.94) 

Worse are when it’s teenage girls buying the iced fruity drinks. It takes forever and the you get deafened by the sound of the blender for good measure.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, blandy said:

Why the heck would anyone want that?  Weak, watery coffee is vile. You are being justly punished by having to wait in purgatory while the dithering hipsters pfaff around ordering whatever those things mean.

It's just a cup of coffee. I prefer filter, but if they don't have that, an americano is fine. It's not usually particularly weak in my experience, but then I don't want rocket fuel, anyway. 

We could argue about coffee all day (a VT regular), this is a complaint about complicated orders holding up people with simple orders. There should be separate queues. 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I hate waiting at a bar when the person in front of me has ordered cocktails. I'm seething as I'm standing there. All I want is a pint but i've got to sit through the charade of the barman thinking he's Tom Cruise, throwing bottles up in the air. There should be a separate cocktail bar. Otherwise it can cause carnage. 

This happened to me not so long ago at The Head of Steam in Birmingham. Woman in front ordered 8 cocktails. Annoying, but it's not her fault.

What really pissed me off is the 4 bar staff all piled in to help make the cocktails. Meaning nobody else, literally, could get served. It was quite busy, so everyone at the bar just had to wait for like 10 minutes while this woman got her 8 cocktails.

Baffling. Surely leave at least one member of staff serving everybody else?!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Iced coffee is kept in a fridge. She likes cold coffee, as I do but she doesn’t want ice in it. 

Cold brew coffee is kept in the fridge, not iced coffee.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Cold brew coffee is kept in the fridge, not iced coffee.

Alright the coffee used in the place that we use is kept in the fridge. Other places may vary. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This happened to me not so long ago at The Head of Steam in Birmingham. Woman in front ordered 8 cocktails. Annoying, but it's not her fault.

What really pissed me off is the 4 bar staff all piled in to help make the cocktails. Meaning nobody else, literally, could get served. It was quite busy, so everyone at the bar just had to wait for like 10 minutes while this woman got her 8 cocktails.

Baffling. Surely leave at least one member of staff serving everybody else?!

First rule of having cocktails on the menu: Have table service. Even if there's nobody ahead of you it's still a good wait.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Anthony said:

First rule of having cocktails on the menu: Have table service. Even if there's nobody ahead of you it's still a good wait.

I worked in a cocktail bar for many years and the key to everything we did was SOS - speed of service. Every ingredient for a 30+ drinks menu had to be within a step of the bartender, every fruit had to be prepped, every bottle had to had a pourer on it, every glass had to be easily reachable. 

Every bartender knew that if there are 8 cocktails, and 5 use the same ingredient, that ingredient was used at the same time in order to maximise speed.

A good mojito can be done in 45 seconds, with flair and entertainment. And a smile on the bartenders face. You can make a shaken drink while pouring a pint for the next customer. 

We were a good bar - but most 'bartenders' are students who don't bother learning menus and don't train on regular basis. You can't blame them  it's the management that does recruitment and training. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

44 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I worked in a cocktail bar for many years and the key to everything we did was SOS - speed of service. Every ingredient for a 30+ drinks menu had to be within a step of the bartender, every fruit had to be prepped, every bottle had to had a pourer on it, every glass had to be easily reachable. 

Every bartender knew that if there are 8 cocktails, and 5 use the same ingredient, that ingredient was used at the same time in order to maximise speed.

A good mojito can be done in 45 seconds, with flair and entertainment. And a smile on the bartenders face. You can make a shaken drink while pouring a pint for the next customer. 

We were a good bar - but most 'bartenders' are students who don't bother learning menus and don't train on regular basis. You can't blame them  it's the management that does recruitment and training. 

Bitch can I hire you to do BBQs? 

Â