Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 hours ago, Xela said:

I think for some people, they may not trust themselves with one. 

Yeah, I can see that.  I’ve always been very careful with money, and my first card was an AmEx when I was fresh out of college, where you had to pay it every month, so there was no way to go deep into debt.  Even after having a true credit card I tended to use cash or checks for anything that wasn’t over $100 or so, partly because you see the money going out of the account as you’re spending it and know pretty quickly when you’re overspending.  But I gradually got to the point of putting everything on the card as it became clear that we weren’t going to be in danger of getting in debt.   My wife and I both are debt averse, having had significant student loans when we were younger so, if we have a month where we’ve been careless and funds get tight, we just tighten our belts for a bit.

What I don’t understand is how you can get by without a credit card when you’re reserving hotels, rental cars, etc.   Over here, everything requires a credit card to hold a reservation.

Last night I went to see a mate's play. Fine in itself and very enjoyable. However, before it started, a woman behind me was chatting to a mate of hers and all of a sudden let out such a horrendous laugh - it was a typical Hahaha type but honestly the very first HA was like a gun going off, followed by six or seven normal ha ha noises but then she ended it a four or five second "haaaaaaaaa".

This happened at least six or seven times and exactly the same every time and once I'd clocked it then it was impossible to ignore it !!

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why do all politicians all do that thumb on top of fist thing when they are trying to get a point across, Sadiq Khan is mad for it. Drives me insane!

Probably knew you were watching ;)

On 21/10/2022 at 23:36, mjmooney said:

Example 1: foreign language film, requires English subtitles switched on, but you can't have the simple translations without also getting full closed captions for every last sound effect ('door creaks', 'music playing', 'loud gunshot', etc.) 

Yeah this really annoys me too. More and more I've had to watch stuff with subtitles on just so I don't have the volume too loud so I don't wake the baby, but not having a non CC English version is very annoying

Missus needs a doctors appointment.

Phone lines open at 8:30

Calls 8:30 on the dot and there’s an automated message that it’s so busy she can’t even enter the queuing system.

Same message message at 8:32 and 9:03. 

Finally manages to enter the queuing system at 10:34, is 22nd in the queue. On hold for 1 hour and 12 minutes (whilst at work) and is told she needs to call back as they are out of appointments.

• Sad 1

Apparently I'm an a***hole because I didn't like the sandwich my wife bought for me from the bakery. We've been together for 15 years and she managed to select three toppings I don't like. That's got to be deliberate. 

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Calls 8:30 on the dot and there’s an automated message that it’s so busy she can’t even enter the queuing system.

Finally manages to enter the queuing system at 10:34, is 22nd in the queue. On hold for 1 hour and 12 minutes (whilst at work) and is told she needs to call back as they are out of appointments.

Yep, this is the norm. It’s easier to get through on a competition line.

TWICE my wife’s doctor gave her a prescription for a dosage of medication that didn’t exist. They prescribed 100mg once a day, they only do 50mg. 

Pharmacy absolutely refused to issue 50mg pills (just take 2 instead of one). “Just call the doctor and get them to change the prescription” Yeah, it’s that’s easy.

This is why I’m sceptical about the plans that come around periodically to go see the pharmacist for minor issues. They don’t want to know / get involved at all. They just bat everything back to the GP.

1 hour ago, penguin said:

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yep, this is the norm. It’s easier to get through on a competition line.

TWICE my wife’s doctor gave her a prescription for a dosage of medication that didn’t exist. They prescribed 100mg once a day, they only do 50mg. 

Pharmacy absolutely refused to issue 50mg pills (just take 2 instead of one). “Just call the doctor and get them to change the prescription” Yeah, it’s that’s easy.

This is why I’m sceptical about the plans that come around periodically to go see the pharmacist for minor issues. They don’t want to know / get involved at all. They just bat everything back to the GP.

Exactly the same as my local GP. You have zero chance of seeing a doctor on the day you call in. But you can see a nurse practitioner in 3 weeks, by that time you'll have full-blown Ebola.

41 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Apparently I'm an a***hole because I didn't like the sandwich my wife bought for me from the bakery. We've been together for 15 years and she managed to select three toppings I don't like. That's got to be deliberate. 

Reminds me of when we went on a family holiday and we were off to have a picnic. We found a nice spot and my mom was going to wander to the shop to get us all some sandwiches. 

When she asked what I wanted I said “oh anything, just as long as it doesn’t have onion in it.”

She also knows I don’t like onion. 

When she got back she’d got me a beef and onion sandwich. Cheers mom

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Reminds me of when we went on a family holiday and we were off to have a picnic. We found a nice spot and my mom was going to wander to the shop to get us all some sandwiches. 

When she asked what I wanted I said “oh anything, just as long as it doesn’t have onion in it.”

Few years back my mom popped round on my birthday and brought a Mcdonald’s for the kids and nothing for me ☹️ I don’t think I’ll ever forgive that.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Weird coincidence as when I was asked said "anything as you know what I like" and ended up with beef (fine if cooked properly but this was way overdone), raw red onions and sweet mustard. 

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Because that's the current law/rules. If the government changes the rules (and pays pharmacies for the extra work), then they'd be happy to sort it all themselves.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Someone getting sandwiches for lunch at work.  I said anything really like ham, bacon, salad, cheese, etc, just not chicken.

They brought back ham and pickle for 1 person, BLT for another, and CLUB CHICKEN for me! Arrrrghhhh.

On 23/10/2022 at 07:47, mottaloo said:

Last night I went to see a mate's play. Fine in itself and very enjoyable. However, before it started, a woman behind me was chatting to a mate of hers and all of a sudden let out such a horrendous laugh - it was a typical Hahaha type but honestly the very first HA was like a gun going off, followed by six or seven normal ha ha noises but then she ended it a four or five second "haaaaaaaaa".

This happened at least six or seven times and exactly the same every time and once I'd clocked it then it was impossible to ignore it !!

Should have Dhutwu, that would have stopped her laughing. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, penguin said:

My surgery does bookings online , tbh I thought they all did now via the NHS app ? 

960C31E9-010C-44BE-9E9C-AD8ED2FD36A3.png

Online booking at our GP is an utter joke. For one thing, it's only available during working hours (go figure). Even then, the system is down more often than not. If you do manage to log on, the functionality is crap, and you'll probably end up with "please use our  telephone appointments line" (which is as described above). Maybe, just maybe, you'll get one for about a fortnight in the future. At a different location.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Now I always respect your sage advice - and I have nothing against big lasses - but she was THAT big I would've needed to tie a plank horizontally across my arse to prevent me from falling in 😯

Good Porky's reference there.

• Haha 1

Â