Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

On 11/06/2016 at 15:51, sharkyvilla said:

Get in, open a window and within three seconds there's a massive bastard fly buzzing around the room.  Every single time.

Have you thought about removing the bodies? 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2016 at 19:52, penguin said:

The depressingly large amount of people in modern society who are on a perpetual quest to be offended certainly piss me off. 

Penguin you are my soul mate.  Modern life should be brilliant but it's mainly rubbish solely because of these people. The very very worst of them being those who get offended on behalf of others. .  aaaaaggghhh. 

Slightly different tangent a year or so ago there was a story about a couple who went to see Frankie Boyle and got offended because he told a sick joke about a condition their daughter had. 

Frankie Boyle is a comedian whose entire act is based on sick humor. Personally I don't find him terribly funny for that reason so would not go see him but have no problem with him doing what he does. The point is if you go and see him you are going to laugh at a lot of sick humor,  these people were therfore quite happy to go to a gig and have a good laugh at other people's expense but take offense when it affects them.  Blood hypocrites I say. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Frankie Boyle is a comedian whose entire act is based on sick humor. Personally I don't find him terribly funny for that reason so would not go see him but have no problem with him doing what he does. The point is if you go and see him you are going to laugh at a lot of sick humor,  these people were therfore quite happy to go to a gig and have a good laugh at other people's expense but take offense when it affects them.  Blood hypocrites I say. 

I saw Frankie Boyle in Guildford the other month and he did exactly what it says on the tin , no problem with that , indeed that was exactly why we were there .

half way through the show he realised someone in the audience was filming him on their mobile so he stopped and asked them what the **** they thought they were doing  .. again quite right  BUT  he then went on a rant that wnt along the lines of  I hope you get cancer and after lots of painful treatment you get the all clear and go out and celebrate and then sleep with you wife and catch AIDS from her and die a slow painful death  ( it went on quite a while)  .... I found that rather OTT and it was painful to listen to , I sorta regret not shouting out to him to shut the **** up  , but then not being a lefty I'm not really the shouty out type , so thus I just sat there and said nothing

His show was funny , but that months later I can't recall any of the stories or jokes he told but can recall this incident just about sums it up

I've done this one before,

but people who act like idiots in car parks. Cars and pedestrians just suddenly ignore the rules of the road. 

You wouldn't drive the wrong way down a one way street or wander out in front of moving cars if you're on foot in other places. Why does it happen in car parks?

Yesterday I was driving into Morrisons. I wasn't even in the car park, I was driving on the road that leads to it. This guy and his son, who couldn't be more than 6, saw me driving down the road and just walked straight out in front of me. Looking right at me so he knew he was doing it. And then got very angry at me when I gave an exaggerated shrugging gesture as if to say "What the **** are you doing?!"

Now fair enough I saw him and stopped easily in time. But what if I'd been distracted?

Anyway i found him in the store and complimented his parenting. "I'm sure when your son wanders out into traffic because that's how his dad does it you'll be really chuffed!"

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That sounds slightly ominous: rather like you were hunting through the aisles in search of him. :)

I pretty much was :)

I mean I was hunting through the aisles for my shopping at the same time, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't specifically looking out for that prick.

• Like 3

we've all stalked someone in a supermarket

Waitrose is the best one in my area. By a quirk of business and geography Waitrose is perceived as posh and people drive in from the Vale in their Evoques and SLK's, but it is located within walking distance of a rough estate.

The choice in Waitrose is amazing.

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've done this one before,

but people who act like idiots in car parks. Cars and pedestrians just suddenly ignore the rules of the road. 

You wouldn't drive the wrong way down a one way street or wander out in front of moving cars if you're on foot in other places. Why does it happen in car parks?

Yesterday I was driving into Morrisons. I wasn't even in the car park, I was driving on the road that leads to it. This guy and his son, who couldn't be more than 6, saw me driving down the road and just walked straight out in front of me. Looking right at me so he knew he was doing it. And then got very angry at me when I gave an exaggerated shrugging gesture as if to say "What the **** are you doing?!"

Now fair enough I saw him and stopped easily in time. But what if I'd been distracted?

Anyway i found him in the store and complimented his parenting. "I'm sure when your son wanders out into traffic because that's how his dad does it you'll be really chuffed!"

In my early 20's I was a Field Engineer in London and went through daily routines of pedestrians walking out in front of me like that ... one day , it became one too many and so when as I drove along some bloke looked up saw me coming and then deliberately stepped out , I drove into him ... just a gentle tab I wasn't driving at Henri Paul speeds , but enough that he was angry and manly enough to spit at my car !!

He never thanked me but I like to think I gave him a  life lesson that day and saved his life :) 

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

we've all stalked someone in a supermarket

Waitrose is the best one in my area. By a quirk of business and geography Waitrose is perceived as posh and people drive in from the Vale in their Evoques and SLK's, but it is located within walking distance of a rough estate.

The choice in Waitrose is amazing.

so it's ok to stalk people in supermarkets but it's not Ok to take cakes from their trolly when they are being a clearing in the woods

the world is a **** up place sometimes :) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

In my early 20's I was a Field Engineer in London and went through daily routines of pedestrians walking out in front of me like that ... one day , it became one too many and so when as I drove along some bloke looked up saw me coming and then deliberately stepped out , I drove into him ... just a gentle tab I wasn't driving at Henri Paul speeds , but enough that he was angry and manly enough to spit at my car !!

He never thanked me but I like to think I gave him a  life lesson that day and saved his life :) 

Respect!

I wanted to be a Field Engineer at one time but didn't do very well in the exams, so I had to settle for being a lowly Meadow Mechanic.

Were you charted?

I simply wish motorists would follow the normal conventions of road use. There's an example I get frequently near my house, which is a bit hard to describe, but I'll try. I'm at a junction, on a side road, waiting to turn right onto a very busy main road. Obviously I have to wait for a gap in both directions. Another motorist is on the main road, waiting to turn right onto 'my' side road. He has right of way to go first. But if he sees a gap in the traffic coming towards him, he waves me out. What he hasn't noticed is that in the other direction cars are thundering past him on the inside. If I go, I'll heading past him, straight in front of them, at best forcing them to brake, at worst causing an accident. So I decline. He then rolls his eyes and throws his hands up at my stupidity. This happens frequently. Just stick to the rules of precedence and let me make my own judgement. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I should add that the above scenario is further complicated by the fact that I live ON the main road - right hand side - just around the corner from said junction. So having got onto it I have to immediately slow down, indicate, get into the middle of the road, and swing into my drive across the incoming traffic. So I need a decent gap behind me to give warning. The 'waver out' obviously wouldn't realise this - he expects me to dive into a gap and gun the motor up to traffic speed. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Respect!

I wanted to be a Field Engineer at one time but didn't do very well in the exams, so I had to settle for being a lowly Meadow Mechanic.

Were you charted?

think we are using different definitions for Field Engineer  :)

I worked for Apple Computers repairing Macintosh's and what not

Waiting for a car to pull out from a parent and child parking space, as they come across me another car nips in the space.

It's an old woman, probably 70+ on her own. I park behind her and tell her she need to park somewhere else as this is a parent and child spot. She tells me 'Your child can walk to the shop, I can't'. She then proceeds to walk to the entrance.

So I leave my car blocking her in and go in the shops. Come out half an hour later to her moaning to a member of staff that she can't get off. I ignore her, tell the member of staff that the car park needs to be better policed and point out a car parked in the disabled spot without a badge, then drive off.

Stupid old cow.

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Waiting for a car to pull out from a parent and child parking space, as they come across me another car nips in the space.

It's an old woman, probably 70+ on her own. I park behind her and tell her she need to park somewhere else as this is a parent and child spot. She tells me 'Your child can walk to the shop, I can't'. She then proceeds to walk to the entrance.

So I leave my car blocking her in and go in the shops. Come out half an hour later to her moaning to a member of staff that she can't get off. I ignore her, tell the member of staff that the car park needs to be better policed and point out a car parked in the disabled spot without a badge, then drive off.

Stupid old cow.

I suppose it's not unreasonable for an old dear with a dodgy hip to wonder why they privilege parents over her, when her need is at least equal or greater.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

So an ex Xserve servicer?

that came out around 2002 I was long out the game by then

no in my day  it was Mac Plus , MacSE 30 , a laptop was the size of a Russian suitcase nuke  and a network was something you made by plugging AppleTalk boxes together ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I simply wish motorists would follow the normal conventions of road use. There's an example I get frequently near my house, which is a bit hard to describe, but I'll try. I'm at a junction, on a side road, waiting to turn right onto a very busy main road. Obviously I have to wait for a gap in both directions. Another motorist is on the main road, waiting to turn right onto 'my' side road. He has right of way to go first. But if he sees a gap in the traffic coming towards him, he waves me out. What he hasn't noticed is that in the other direction cars are thundering past him on the inside. If I go, I'll heading past him, straight in front of them, at best forcing them to brake, at worst causing an accident. So I decline. He then rolls his eyes and throws his hands up at my stupidity. This happens frequently. Just stick to the rules of precedence and let me make my own judgement. 

Yep I get it, and I think the broader point of people just making up their own rules of, say, precedence etc is very dangerous.  The whole point about 'the rules of the road' is that everyone knows them.  No-one knows however if you decide that there are brand new rules that you've just made up on the spot for this one scenario.  You get it a lot where pedestrians are involved and there's no crossing point.  Where a samaritan driver will just decide out of the blue on a main road to allow people to cross, so they'll stop dead.  No warning.  Look, just drive, let the pedestrian find the gap and everyone goes on their way.  My only caveat to all of the above is if some dangleberry has allowed a pedestrian to make it half way across a road and they're now in no mans land waiting to cross the other half.  If it's safe I will always let a pedestrian finish crossing.  Basically never leave someone in the middle of the road.  Other than that, yeah, stick to the **** rules.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

that came out around 2002 I was long out the game by then

no in my day  it was Mac Plus , MacSE 30 , a laptop was the size of a Russian suitcase nuke  and a network was something you made by plugging AppleTalk boxes together ... 

That brings back some interesting memories (and not the RAM type either).

51 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I suppose it's not unreasonable for an old dear with a dodgy hip to wonder why they privilege parents over her, when her need is at least equal or greater.

Not my problem. Get a disability claim going if you have trouble walking around so you can park in the disabled spots close to the door.

• Like 3

Â