Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I pronounce Valencia, Valenthia I've no Idea why it's not on purpose, it just must be the way I heard it as a child and it's stuck.

Is it possibly a speech impediment?

How would you pronounce thauthageth?

No it's not a speech impediment. It's because that's how I heard it pronounced as a child and so it has become hard-wired into my brain to say it that way.

I would pronounce thauthageth like thawthaagef.

Getting disciplined at work for my injured finger just before Xmas. Bastards, I asked to view the risk assessment of the machine and it says for danger 'Possible death, illness or injury' and then likelihood 'Likely to happen in prolonged use', risk 'high'. So I say why doesn't it have a proper guard where the conveyor belt meets the moulder and they just say 'well you shouldn't put your finger near it' and as I've signed the training they discipline me for misconduct. It was just a fecking accident, every single other piece of equipment that has moving parts has a guard on it for a reason.

Raise a grievance and report the incident to the HSE. :)

I'm watching live updates on Twitter of the local council voting on building a new ground for my local non-league team and they're mostly voting against despite recommendations from the planning committee. It's soul destroying to see a team I grow up with potentially dying, as I don't think rejection is survivable. They want to build it in between a roundabout, a park and ride and a dump yet the main objections are about noise for equestrians and woodland. NIMBY bastards all of them.

making bets with people when ive had way to much to drink. was out friday and bumped into a lad who works down our place and hes a liverpool fan and me being the stupid knob i am made a £5 bet that we would beat them, thing is i knew we would get beat and i probably knew when i was making the bet. he reminded me of it today as i was working with him, doh!

People using the Spanish pronunciation of places when discussing their holiday in a Birmingham cafe.

"I absolutely loved 'Valenthia'"

Piss off

I always pronounced the Arsenal player as

Terry Henry ( as in how you'd pronounce Henry Cooper)

People would say "who ? " ( As if there is any other arsenal player with a similar name they could mistake him with !!)

I'd say you know the French clearing in the woods and they'd say oh you mean " t airy 'on re "

I'd say no his name is Terry Henry he's just being pretentious

• Like 1

With names, I think the rule would generally be how they pronounce it.

If you met a french guy and they told you their name was Thierry or David or Michelle you wouldn't call them Terry or Dave or Michael/Mike just because you're English.

The pronunciation thing comes up a lot IMO there are simple rules.

1. Peoples names as Stevo said should be pronounced correctly (or the closest approximation your wonky tongue can manage
  2. Places foreign words etc should be treated consistently. If you are going to say "Baaaach-rain" for Bahrain, you have to say "Par-ee" for Paris. 100% local pronunciation 100% of the time, or 100% anglicised. One or the other. 
Edited by Eames

1. Peoples names as Stevo said should be pronounced correctly (or the closest approximation your wonky tongue can manage
  2. Places foreign words etc should be treated consistently. If you are going to say "Baaaach-rain" for Bahrain, you have to say "Par-ee" for Paris. 100% local pronunciation 100% of the time, or 100% anglicised. One or the other. 

Agree with 1 and should agree with 2 but id probably kick the guy who says "Par-ee" in the nuts for being a right word removed but then id have similar desires for someone who pronounces the Ls in Marbella. Ll in spanish is a y sound i.e me llamo Zak (pronounced me yamo)

me llamo Zak 

Your grasp of language and typing is remarkable for a Llama Zak. 

Might want to look at your spelling and grammar though buddy. 

**patronisingly rubs between ears**

If you met a french guy and they told you their name was Thierry or David or Michelle you wouldn't call them Terry or Dave or Michael/Mike just because you're English.

I met a Swiss guy who introduced himself to me as Vonson.  I called it him for a few days before I realised his name was 'Vincent'.

me llamo Zak 

Way to diverge the conversation away from my insightful original post.......for ****.....

Not strictly on topic, but a friend of mine (!) was staying on holiday on a small island and the small number of others there were Italian speakers.

Every morning, when the Italians walked past, he would shout a cheery 'il meo nome' or some such. Thinking he was shouting a variation on 'hi! fellow holiday maker, good day!'

First day he didn't get much of a reaction, but through the week more and more people took to the greeting and gave raucous call and response, even at an evening BBQ they all attended. Everyone calling 'il meo nome e'

Turns out later, all week he'd been meeting people, passing by people on the beach or leaving parties etc., and shouting 'my name is'.

• Like 1

me llamo Zak 

Way to diverge the conversation away from my insightful original post.......for ****.....

Ah come on....no need to spit at me. Where is your sense of humour? 

Sheep nut? 

:P

Most people pronounce Ruud Gullit as "hullit" when Dutch people and Ruud himself actually say it more or less as it's spelt, ie with a hard g.  Sort of the opposite to what happens in the above examples ie people trying to make a name sound more continental than it actually is.

See also: McClaren, Steve and his hilarious Dutch accent....."eet is, how you say, Arshenal".

Most people pronounce Ruud Gullit as "hullit" when Dutch people and Ruud himself actually say it more or less as it's spelt, ie with a hard g.  Sort of the opposite to what happens in the above examples ie people trying to make a name sound more continental than it actually is.

See also: McClaren, Steve and his hilarious Dutch accent....."eet is, how you say, Arshenal".

Same with Dirk Kuyt.

"Cow-t" seemed to be the generally accepted way of saying it. I saw an interview with him when he said it was basically nothign like that. More like "Hoyt"

Also, Jagielka is pronounced "Ya-gielka"

And Lodz is pronounced 'Wuj'.

Swedish VTers? Gothenburg is something like 'Yutterborg', no? And what did you Norwegians think about our pronunciation of 'Jon Carew'?

I met some norwegian girls on a night out once.

After a while one of them asked me if I knew any famous Norwegians.

I obviously responded with John Carew.

They had no idea who I was talking about. 

After some detailed describing of who he was, one of them exclaimed "OH! You mean Yunn Kah-rev?"

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

I miss him

Â