Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I wanted to start watching Breaking Bad through my TV on Netflix, but I couldn't find the LAN adaptor for my TV, so I searched the web and paid £30 for a replacement. The adaptor arrived so I settled in to get cracking, but it turns out Netflix isn't available on my Samsung model. Apparently it's only available on 2010 models onwards. Not to worry, I thought, I'll run it on LoveFilm, but no....they've stopped that service on models built before 2010 too.

The only option I have left is some Tesco TV service, but they want £9.99 for series 1, and £19.99 for each series thereafter! Hahahaha!

Okay then! Bargain!

No, wait!! I'll just go down to HMV tomorrow and get the whole lot for about £40.

Why the **** do those words removed think anyone would pay that!?

Do you have a laptop you can just run an HDMI cable from? Beats the shit out of this "smart TV" bollocks.

Personally, I don't hugely see the point in borrowing accents & pronunciations from another language unless you're using the language itself.

For example, if you're speaking French (or attempting to) then by all means say Pareee, but otherwise it should be Paris, because that's the English pronunciation, and you're speaking English (presumably).

It's different though because the Paris pronunciation is actually part of our language, whereas a persons name is there name but we just choose to say it phonetically.  We don't pronounce Siobhan or Niamh as they're spelt do we?

This is kind of what I meant when I said where do you draw the line.

A lot of people seem to know a small amount of foreign pronunciations, but clearly not all of them or even a reasonable portion of them. And for that reason it comes across as showing off when they do know how to say something correctly.

Take the commentators for example, they delight in over-exaggerating any reference to Edin Azzzaarrrrr, but they'd be completely lost at sea were they to commentate on a Belgian second division match. IF you don't know how to make foreign pronunciations correctly, then don't go to town on the tiny few that you do know.

Edited by Shillzz

This is kind of what I meant when I said where do you draw the line.

A lot of people seem to know a small amount of foreign pronunciations, but clearly not all of them or even a reasonable portion of them. And for that reason it comes across as showing off. 

If the players were announced correctly on the tannoy I'm sure we'd soon get the hang, but we were fed John Carew.

John Careff, Careff, he's bigger me than me and Jeff.  Still would've worked ;)

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

I just keep thinking of some of the football commentators and pundits (usually ex players or managers) who mangle the foreign players' names horribly. 

It's just as bad as the Guzan/Guzman thing for me. 

The thing that annoys me with commentators pronouncing foreign names is when they get it wrong because they don't know how to pronounce and are just guessing. I don't mind Eden Azar or Santi Cathorla, as they're quite close to what they are pronounced like. It's when it's stuff like David Luisch, as that's pronounced Luiz. Also when they don't bother, like with David Villa, in Spanish b's and v's are pronounced very similarly, so it should be something like Dabid Biya, but we get the french pronunciation of his first name and whatever the commentator can be bothered to say. If you don't know how to say, just pronounce it like you'd pronounce it English.

The most annoying thing is that I do it too, as I know people wouldn't know what I'm on about and probably laugh at me if I tried to do them properly.

It's English - there are no hard rules.

Why else would "rendezvous" be pronounced "ron-day-voo," yet "parliament" be pronounced with a good hard "T" at the end?

par-la-mehn would be less funkadelic.

• Like 4

Personally, I don't hugely see the point in borrowing accents & pronunciations from another language unless you're using the language itself.

For example, if you're speaking French (or attempting to) then by all means say Pareee, but otherwise it should be Paris, because that's the English pronunciation, and you're speaking English (presumably).

I always called him Terry Henry when he played for Arsenal ( Henry pronounced as in Henry Cooper )

None of this pretentious accent stuff

Be surprised how many people would say "who ? " when you called him that ... Wtf who else in the arsenal team could it be !!

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

The continuity lady never announces Huw Edwards is going to be doing the 10 o clock news in a funny valleys accent. They do pick n choose, the BBC love to go to town on french pronounciation and then struggle with something as simple as Islwyn Borough Council or Rhyn Ap Iorwerth.

I've decided to leave the grammar in my first sentence exactly as it is!

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

When you are invited to a friends for dinner and to keep on the good side of his wife/significant other, you take a nice box of chocolates as a thank you for the invite but when you hand them over they get put straight in the cupboard.

Do these people not understand the rules? I didn't buy them for you to enjoy in you own sweet time. I got them so we could all gorge ourselves on them after dinner.

(#middleclassproblems)

A girl I know went for a run and posted a **** album on Facebook of it.

That may annoy you but running whilst singing, playing an instrument and carrying all the audio equipment to capture it sounds impressive to me.

Although, I haven't heard it yet so I don't technically know how impressive it sounds.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 3

A girl I know went for a run and posted a **** album on Facebook of it.

That may annoy you but running whilst singing, playing an instrument and carrying all the audio equipment to capture it sounds impressive to me.

Although, I haven't heard it yet so I don't technically know how impressive it sounds.

tee hee

• Like 1

Â