Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Taxi drivers' sense of entitlement.

Use the indicators, ye bastards. It's a zebra crossin, ye gits.

(Not including VT's own, who I'm sure is a stand up citizen, a gentleman, a scholar, and diligently follows the rules of the road).

Not having a pop at this post but it reminded me of yet another complaint from a customer today.

Her description… "He was in the inside lane and indicating to come out, so I flashed him and let him out, then he had a pop at me for speeding…"

So firstly he indicated and pulled out because it was safe to do so, Mrs doesn't know how to drive didn't do any letting out because she doesn't own the road, she is mean't to allow the car to pull out, its not something she grants ITS IN THE HIGHWAY CODE! Secondly, you flashing your lights is also illegal, the driver probably took it completely the wrong way, like you were having a pop at him for pulling out in front of you, when you were clearly speeding (our driver was just on the speed limit at this point I checked), so in his mind he was retaliating to your perceived aggression towards him.

As usual two sides to every story but there are a large number of people out there who want to have a pop a taxi drivers for their driving without actually realising it is often the complainees themselves who are intact driving incorrectly.

Not all taxi drivers are angels on the road I fully admit, I deal with more than enough complaints from people where I consider the driver to be in the wrong.

On the indicating thing, often it is the customer changing their mind last minute that causes this, or people being under the impression that you have to indicate left to pull into the inside lane (YOU DON'T!)

I was thinking about taxis earlier. As with 99% of things in this part of the world, there are connotations. If, say, you took taxi from a company based in area X into area Y, citizens of area Y would know you came from area X and then proceed to kick your head in. That is how it used to be, anyway. I was ordering a taxi a few weeks back to go to 'the other side', and mother was absolutely emphatic about ordering a taxi from 'the other sides' taxi company. It's nonsense of course (although, saying that, there are a few companies you best avoid), but for generations of people taxi choice is still political.

I suppose there are similar issues in most cities. Still.

I was thinking about taxis earlier. As with 99% of things in this part of the world, there are connotations. If, say, you took taxi from a company based in area X into area Y, citizens of area Y would know you came from area X and then proceed to kick your head in.

When and where exactly was this?

I was thinking about taxis earlier. As with 99% of things in this part of the world, there are connotations. If, say, you took taxi from a company based in area X into area Y, citizens of area Y would know you came from area X and then proceed to kick your head in.

When and where exactly was this?

Northern Ireland

I grew up with a lot of those types of stories - some had elements of truth, most were just nonsense intended to make you stay away from certain places etc. I suppose it doesn't matter if that specifically happened, plenty still cling to the idea that you should take certain taxis into certain areas in case something happened.

Is flashing headlights illegal?

Flashing headlights law varies from country and can vary from individual states within a country.

In many countries it is illegal to flash oncoming vehicles to warn them of a police speed trap.

In the UK however, headlight flashing is not illegal in any form. Although not illegal, headlight flashing used as an aggressive form of driving can intimidate other drivers and has the potential of a prosecution of dangerous driving.

Edited by Jon

Flashing your headlights to warn of an imminent checkpoint/speed trap in Ireland is illegal as it is perverting the course of justice.  Flashing them for other reasons is legal.

People who leave their pubic hairs and all sorts of genital dandruff on the toilet seat.

**** sake - maybe you don't give a shit about personal hygiene but at least give the seat a quick wipe down with toilet paper before you leave. :angry:

Â