Failed degree, what next?

Stevo985

This is exactly why I didn't go to uni

I work as a postie now which isn't the greatest job in the world but I'm 24,have a nice house with a wife and daughter, no debts and a secure job. Definitely made the right choice

Edited by villarule123
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about this. But firstly what does she want to do with her degree if she does finish it? Criminology suggests perhaps an interest in police work, but it’s very hard to get a job in that sector since they are having a 25% cut back. She needs to have a serious think about what she wants out of it. You have to be focused about what your degree is about and what job you want after. The days of getting a general goodish degree and getting a graduate job are long gone. It is not studying for studying’s sake anymore since basically the libcons have privatised higher education. I am speaking from experience of getting an okay first degree and masters and haven’t really been in full time work for 4 years. Perhaps she should quit, travel and try and get some voluntary work in the job area she wants to do. This might be cheaper and more fun than to re-do a university year.

I messed up my first year through a mixture of laziness and wrong choice of course.

Luckily I got afforded another chance (this was in the days when tuition fees only cost about a grand).  Nice to see I set the bar with my 1 year failure acceptance rate which has duly been taken up by my brother too.

If the choice was go to uni or not go to uni, then I wouldn't have a problem with her not finishing.

My biggest problem is she's ploughed a shit tonne of money into getting a degree, and doesn't have one. I just feel it would be a huge waste to drop out and not finish.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks everyone should go to uni or that it is necessary to be a success. I just feel she should finish what she's started at this stage.

why is it your problem  ?

(not meant in a harsh way  )

Because I care about what my family does.

so do most people I expect ..... so that wasn't really the answer I was looking for   ...  but it could just be semantics over the choice of words you've used in your initial post causing the confusion

Maybe she could think about taking a year out, seeing what working is like and then decide whether or not she wants to return to college to repeat the year. I'm guessing she's been in education for all of her life and maybe a year getting some perspective might be useful. Maybe she'll return to Luton, or maybe she'll discover that she wants to dance professionally

Must be as I don't know what you're getting at.

I think he thinks you're planning to lay down the iron hand - that's what I thought at the start of the thread too.

Must be as I don't know what you're getting at.

I think he thinks you're planning to lay down the iron hand - that's what I thought at the start of the thread too.

yeah pretty much   ... I think your use of My biggest problem  .. was the phrase that I have misconstrued  .. it seems you meant it's a problem as in you care   ... I saw it in slightly more aggressive terms as  you have a problem with her actions

Yeah, I only mean I care.

And if she decides to drop out I'll strongly advise her to reconsider.

But I won't force her to do anything. I couldn't if I wanted to.

Maybe she could think about taking a year out, seeing what working is like and then decide whether or not she wants to return to college to repeat the year. I'm guessing she's been in education for all of her life and maybe a year getting some perspective might be useful. Maybe she'll return to Luton, or maybe she'll discover that she wants to dance professionally

Not a bad idea... apart from the dancing ;)

Does she need the degree for what she wants to do? With many of the popular degree courses, people go into jobs that have nothing to do with their course.

And doing something you're interested in and can keep an interest in for 3 years is massive. By 2nd year I couldn't give a shit about music.

^^ but you finished and got a 1st IIRC.

Not finishing in this situation shouldnt be considered an option. Any interviewer worth their salt is going to pull her up on a 3 year period at uni and no qualification at the end....so getting a "serious" job is going to be so much harder without it.

Does she need the degree for what she wants to do? With many of the popular degree courses, people go into jobs that have nothing to do with their course.

And doing something you're interested in and can keep an interest in for 3 years is massive. By 2nd year I couldn't give a shit about music.

I think this is the key question. If it's a degree that is irrelevant to what she wants to do then it might be pointless pursuing it

HOWEVER, a degree in anything can be useful in the future and certainly makes you more employable. Further, any half-decent employer is going to find out that she attended university and did not finish and that would turn ANYONE away.

I think she has to finish it one way or another. She'd have been better off not having a degree at all rather than starting one and not finishing it

• Like 1

I think she has to finish it one way or another. She'd have been better off not having a degree at all rather than starting one and not finishing it

That's where I stand. Again, if she was leaving school and decided against uni, I'd be right behind her decision.

I just feel that starting and not finishing will reflect badly on her.

Ultimately it's her decision but I'll be advising her to finish.

Is Criminology something she really wants to do? Is she interested in the careers available in that field?

I was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago when completing my Masters. I lost all interest in my chosen field, and became really lazy. The quality of my work and motivation to complete projects dropped. As a result, I failed my final project and had to re-do it the following semester (adding 6 more months of uni and another several thousand dollars to my student loan). But I finished it and was able to get a job in my chosen field. 

Completing a uni course shows employers that you're capable of finishing something you start, which is very important in my humble opinion.

My advice would be for her to complete the course.

If she isn't interested in Criminology, are there any other courses she could transfer credits to, to achieve a degree/diploma?

Edited by Ghost

"I just feel it would be a huge waste to drop out and not finish.I just feel she should finish what she's started at this stage".

My thoughts on this as well. The loans do not start to be paid back until a decent wage is being paid and so although your sister will have to pay the debt in the long run the interest rate is low as are the repayments so she should be able to cope when she is earning. For me if she sees the need to put things right then she should go for it as a degree will only help her future job prospects as would the effort she was prepared to put in during an extra year to make it happen. I hope it goes well for your sister and I am sure she will appreciate the help with her decision you are giving her.

As hinted at elsewhere, somehow you need to see the paperwork that tells you exactly how far off passing she was.

I don't know her, but I'd suggest there is a defo chance the failure was more substantial than is being painted. In the case of my brother, he convinced my parents he could 'go back'. On seeing the evidence, it turned out to 'go back' you had to have been there in the first place. **** knows what he'd been doing for a year, but he hadn't been going to Uni.

I'v considered your sister's dilemma, and have come to the following conclusion:

pics or GTFO.

:D

I love my sister, but believe me, you would be in no way impressed with pictures of her. She's regularly mistaken for a boy.

Â