Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Please don't mention the "you don't win anything with kids" thing said about Man Utd and make that a common exception.

What happened there was 1/10000000000 and it will never happen again I'm afraid. At the time the league was not as

strong and there weren't many international stars here. Liverpool weren't good and Arsenal was mediocre.

Well, the thing is that those kids grew up and won the CL. At the age of 24-25 for most of them. One in a million maybe, but it was not down to mediocre oppositions.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I say english youngsters? Nationality doesnt come into it, the point I'm making is that they should learn their trade at Villa knowing they will be given the opportunity. Doesnt matter whether they are English or Chinese.

Big money signings arent always the full solution.

That is right and that is what Villa are doing, but if the youngsters doesnt cut it then the club needs to buy big players..or face mediocracy or even relegation. It is the true hard world in football.

Big signings will take you places short term...youngsters will keep you at these places long term.

The point is that we have a squad were youngsters and injury wrecks play a big part. Then we start selling off players before bringing anyone in. Its not smart.

Blimey, I didn't realise the season starts on Saturday.... I thought it was n August?

I think the De Jong rumour has legs. He'd be a good signing and fits the profile MON seems to be after. 22-24, talented and versatile. A right back who can play midfield too.

Sneijder and Huntelaar next then.....

Well, I am back from Leeds and still no signings! wtf is going on?

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!! I HAVEN'T CHECKED VT FOR 3HRS AS WORKING

AND I CHECK BACK AND STILL NO SIGNINGS!!!

:bang::suspect:

I cannot beleive some of the comments on here.

You would think that we were in the Ellis era and the season started at the week end.

Chill the **** out.

We had let go players who MON knew would not get a game next season.

We will bring in players, when the ones he wants are ready.

According to Sky Sports Antunes the Portugese full back we were looking at is on the verge of signing for Juventus.

Oh man thats disappointing. Those rumours came from nowhere and were around for a while, must have been a reason we didn't act. Or maybe not?

I fail to see why everyone is so stressed most players who are not on International duty are on holiday and some leagues are still playing (Spain) I think things will hot up in the next few weeks . And IMO Randy has delivered on all fronts so far , I have no reason to believe he will stop now. Wether the players MO brings in will cut the mustard we will have to wait and see, but one thing is clear he will bring in new players.

And as if by magic, MON tells all Villa fans to stop worrying......signings will happen and we are looking to bring in quality.

The site is eatsleepsport........I have copied the article.

MON you and Randy are the men to take us forward. We will get the quality signings we need.

O'Neill cool on transfers Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:15

Martin O'Neill has told the Villa fans to stay patient and not panic as new signings will be arriving at the club this summer.

The Irishman is armed with a large transfer kitty but so far he has yet to make a signing and the club's supporters have only seen players head for the exit door.

Gavin McCann and Jlloyd Samuel have both signed for Bolton and despite Villa being strongly linked with the likes of Craig Bellamy, Nigel De Jong and Wesley Sneijder, O'Neill has yet to make a signing.

However, the gaffer is calling for calm and says signings will start to happen.

"We can't have what happened to us last November - when we were scratching around for players - happen to us again," O'Neill revealed. "We have a fairly decent idea of what we're going to try to do.

"The whole reason I've come is because I want to try to fulfil the hopes, dreams and ambitions of the supporters.

"It's not easy, but that's part of the whole excitement. Randy Lerner has been very supportive and he wants to try to lift the club from a position of non-strength into one of strength."

Pretty sure that's a re-hash of an old link. Some of those articles on NewsNow still have MON just coming out now to deny the Nakamura link.

Personally, I think MON if given the choice will sign young players with plenty of potential to grow into full-on champions - see young, maloney, potentially NRC and DeJong - so it makes perfect sense that he will be having a big old gander at the U21s comp coming up, to make sure he has all his facts straight before making some formal bids. I get the feeling that when it does happen, we will see a pretty big flurry in a short space of time. I just hope it doesn't come at 11.55pm on 31 August!!

According to Sky Sports Antunes the Portugese full back we were looking at is on the verge of signing for Juventus.

Oh man thats disappointing. Those rumours came from nowhere and were around for a while, must have been a reason we didn't act. Or maybe not?

Probably when villa heard that juventus were interested,we stopped pursuing him either that or Antunes already had his mind set on juventus.

I think the De Jong rumour has legs. He'd be a good signing and fits the profile MON seems to be after. 22-24, talented and versatile. A right back who can play midfield too.

The more I think about it the more I like it.

I think De Jong would be really really good signing, as I recall it he was one of the best in a young Ajax side a couple of years ago. I used watch all of the Ajax CL matches (because at the time Zlatan was playing for Ajax, and swedish tv was always, always showing the games Zlatan was in) and in those games De Jong always was one of the better performers on the pitch.

Would be really pleased if this one comes off.

Thought the boards comment about Big\world class signings WILL be happening, seemed odd if they are not already arranged.

And with the launch of a new Nike strip coming up. It seems to make sense to wait untill closer to the start of Pre season to give the place a massive boost at the right time.

And if we sign a World Class RB or CM now wouldnt it hurt our chances of signing West Brom players for our res team :) .

Well everything has gone quiet for now, no ones posting or arguing, Villa have told us to be patient, which is extremely difficult. We get strongly linked to one player (NRC) and end up with a 50 page thread, when we do sign someone the place is going to go berserk. This is down to the expectation created by the honourable deeds of Randy and Co. and we have to remember they have not let us down yet and have always gone one better IMO.

So lets keep the faith, I am sure they will deliver (it's just driving me made waiting).

PS Note to self, must stop mindless ramblings on forums when nothing is happening on transfer rumour mills.

PPS Note to self, if you have this mindless babbling urge again go and lock yourself in a dark room for 3 months.

If we don't sign a keeper, we've a good one and a decent one and can still function in the top half.

If we don't sign a centre half, we've three good ones and are still capable of finishing in the top half.

If we don't sign a central midfielder, and we're lucky with injuries and Barry doesn't have to play left back, we'll be okay.

If we don't sign a second powerful striker, we'll need to be lucky with injuries to Carew, or we'll struggle. (Although Luke is now a big lad.)

If we don't sign a back up left back, we'll need to be lucky with injuries, or we'll have to move Barry from midfield.

If we don't sign a right back, we'll have Mellberg and Gardner as our only options and we'll be ****.

So for me, that's one signing we absolutely need, a new right back just to stay where we are.

To improve, we need that right back and a back up right back, a back up left back, a left sided midfielder or a central midfielder, (depending on where we leave Barry), a centre half and a big striker.

Or, we'll need to be really really lucky.

I don't think you can leave all that until August. I'd be surprised if we don't have at least half of this in place by the time we cross the pond.

Bloody Hell - you sound like Doug Ellis !!!

Exactly the opposite of what I was trying to say !

I was trying (and failing) to make the point that it would be extremely foolish to sign only one or two and hope for the best. We do have a good number of players that are capable of playing European football, but we do have some clear weaknesses; although a number of them only really become clear if you take injuries and suspension into account.

With a right back of quality we're capable of qualifying for Europe provided everybody is available for every game.

Which ain't gonna happen.

Oh, and Doug Ellis is 5'7", same as Ali.

If he goes to Juventus we have never been interested...at least according to some on this site because MON never misses a target. :winkold:

ive noticed now for a few seasons, that when we get linked with a player, so do either west sham, everton or villasboro

if were talking RBs, either luke young or phil jagielka

and as for a DM, i would prefer de jong than NRC!