Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

God 2 pages on Owen who wouldn't sign for us anyway, he only plays for the Barcodes because they pay him 90grand + a week.

He has not proven his fitness yet and would be abit of a gamble.

What wages do you think we are going to pay in a near future? The policy of wages made by Ellis is history...and they should be. If we want europe we have to pay for it too...

Yeah it has done the Barcode the world of good, with numerous players just going their to pick up massive wages and win feck all and not try in the process!

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God 2 pages on Owen who wouldn't sign for us anyway, he only plays for the Barcodes because they pay him 90grand + a week.

He has not proven his fitness yet and would be abit of a gamble.

What wages do you think we are going to pay in a near future? The policy of wages made by Ellis is history...and they should be. If we want europe we have to pay for it too...

Yeah it has done the Barcode the world of good, with numerous players just going their to pick up massive wages and win feck all and not try in the process!

A totally different thing Jez. We need to up our wages in order to compete..there is no doubt about it. The only thing is to pay that kind of money to the players who are worth it. To simply put every mistake on the players shoulders why Newcastle hasnt worked is not right. They have had some abysmal managers...really low skilled managers...yet high expectations and demands.

Newcastle is a huge proof that money doesnt fix everything...still...they have been very ambitious in trying.

Yeah thats true, its a fine balance though!

I wonder if this will be our week when something happen, pre-season starts 3 weeks tomorrow i think.

We wont be signing players whilst we're in America so i suppose it all has to happen in the next 3 weeks; as MON said he wanted players in before pre-season ideally.

McCann going in particular points towards signings (probably NRC) we would be very foolish to rely on Gardner to replace him.

We are clearly going to increase our wage structure each season now but it's only natural (and swell for the team as well, it only means we are in business)

I think Chelsea pay around 130-150M each season, and we pay some 30-40M? Within years I guess we are going to pay 70M and with players like Carew coming in on 50K a week is won't take many players to reach that level. Imagine Newcastle - all that money but no success

When do Villa start the tour to USA? Pre season starts?

Pre-Season is 4th July, 3 weeks on Wed, i think.

Tour dates...

July 25: Toronto FC

July 28: Columbus Crew

August 1: Stoke City

August 4: Inter Milan (home)

August 7: Walsall

Afraid to say, even when fit, Owen is not the player he once was, and never will be again. From the age of abiut 18 to 23/24 he was incredible. Believe me that player has died. He's lost all his pace, and as a player who contributes NOTHING but goals, you have to finish 100% of chances; Owen has never and will never do that.

When he was younger he could also create goals for himself, can't do that anymore as he's got no skill ( never did have) or pace (used to have that and steam past people). Dont want him at all.

The best strikers in the game have a conversion rate of something like 1 in 4, and Owen is probably there or thereabouts. I agree that he isn't as good as he once was and losing his pace is probably the biggest reason why, and he wouldn't be worth the insane salary he would have wanted, but he is still a clever and effective striker. To state that he isn't good enough because he doesn't score on every chance is silly because by that demand you deem every strikers as poor. Of the five top scorers this season Drogba had third best shots/goals ratio of 20%, Rooney had 13% and Ronaldo 12%, while McCarthy and Viduka was best with 29% and 27% respectively.

Afraid to say, even when fit, Owen is not the player he once was, and never will be again. From the age of abiut 18 to 23/24 he was incredible. Believe me that player has died. He's lost all his pace, and as a player who contributes NOTHING but goals, you have to finish 100% of chances; Owen has never and will never do that.

When he was younger he could also create goals for himself, can't do that anymore as he's got no skill ( never did have) or pace (used to have that and steam past people). Dont want him at all.

The best strikers in the game have a conversion rate of something like 1 in 4, and Owen is probably there or thereabouts. I agree that he isn't as good as he once was and losing his pace is probably the biggest reason why, and he wouldn't be worth the insane salary he would have wanted, but he is still a clever and effective striker. To state that he isn't good enough because he doesn't score on every chance is silly because by that demand you deem every strikers as poor. Of the five top scorers this season Drogba had third best shots/goals ratio of 20%, Rooney had 13% and Ronaldo 12%, while McCarthy and Viduka was best with 29% and 27% respectively.

Some fair points. Wages we agree on. 100% is aggerated yes, but for me a player in the Michael 'I dont do anything but score' Owen mould must score 80% of chances. By this I dont mean shots to goals, I mean like the actual chances that come his way. When Van Horseface was in his prime anything that fell his way in the box would be in the net 8 times out of 10. Brazilian fat ronaldo has a career average of 4 goals in 5 games, thats what someone who does nothing but score should have; earlier in his career he was much more at barca etc, but in final year at madrid he was just a goal poacher.

Id disagree that he is an effective striker, as has become clear in various games; I mean it is hard to guage this as he hasnt played for years but for example Euro 2004: Did nothing, one goal in 5 games ( i think, group games, 2nd round, quarters?), dispite playing with Rooney who was absolutley on fire. WC 2006, did nothing ,didnt score, heaved around looking slow and unfit, got injured as he does. Recent Eng B game against albania, did diddly squit, missed one good chance. Poor. Harsh I know he hasnt played for a while but its in my head.

In conclusion, not for villa thanks! :D

AAAGHHHH dont belirve i am going to miss milan game i thought it was a week later we are going to Rome on the 3rd for wedding anniversary what a load of bollox.

Attempting to bring this semi on topic for the moment at least.

At the end of the season, looking at the squad, our position and results, it seemed to be in agreement by most here that the squad simply was not good enough. When people talk about 'size of squad', for me that seems to equate to players who are good enough for the first team for you not to be worried when they play - not just how many youth team players you can give a squad number to.

And baring in mind we want a season where we actually look like trying to do something rather than struggle for a bit and then be happy for midtable, I felt that the following was a bare minimum:

At least a new reserve team goalkeeper - Starting with Taylor always seems to me like it's starting 1-0 down, he gets beaten too easily. Tommy is a good goalkeeper, but one for a team qualifying for europe?

A central defender. Ridgewell, possibly off, but again, if he stayed is he really the standard of a European place chasing club? The return of Laursen showed what can happen when there is someone of his quality at the back - but we cannot rely on him to be fit. Then we move on to needing a new right back, and a back up left back is needed too Sorry Barry Bannon).

Midfield? Always the most important part of the team imo. I don't think it's any conincidence that when we were down to our last legs, having to play Osbourne in there where he was obviously out of depth, and we need to make sure that this is avoided next season. The possible departure of Davis means we need to bring in two central midfielders I'd say - at least. The appearence of Gardner will hopefully mean that it's two and not three).

Up front - Gabby scores goals when he's played here and not on the wing. Sutton will be gone, JPA is gone. Leaving us with Moore, Gabby, Carew and possibly Maloney, who I can never work out where he is actually playing (not 'having a go' - I think he is mon's best signign so far). But what happens should Carew get injured? None of the players left can be desribed as being particulary strong, though Gabby has bulked up an awful lot over the past few months.

So that's what? Seven signings? And I didn't expect any by now, and I'm not suprised there haven't been any - in fact I'll be suprised if there are any in a months time - O'Neill doesn't seem to buy players like that - reading what Celtic fans have said about him confirmed my thoughts too - he never signed a Bosman signing whilst up there once, and always seems to leave things to the last minute - transfer deadline day deals - giving the impression that he hasn't planned it all that well. but that seems to be the general thing that O'Neill gives off - he often reminds me of mr bean - not his decisions, but his mannerisms, his stressed, rushed look about him.

Are we to expect seven or so players in still? No. Do we need them? Yes. Does that mean we won't do anything next season? No. But I'd probably be a bit more condfident if we had got someone by now.

It's not a moan, it's not a fret. Just a ramble.

Back to saying I think we should sign van den borre as he scored a hatrick for me on FM now ;)