Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

If we got NRC and Sneijder that would be it for the CM positions with Sneijder also offering LM.

Barry, Petrov and Gardner would more than make up the rest with Osbourne on loan with recall options if we get horrendous injury problems.

I can also see only one big name striker coming in and perhaps a top winger. Nugent would hinder Moore, who is a better player.

A top right back is a must and now a decent keeper too. I still think we'll get Gordon.

GK

RB

DC (cover)

LW or RW

CM

AMC

CF

Those are priorities as I see it. Anything else is just gravy.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone heard anything of Koumas to us for 5m? Just whispers around today that we've made a bid? My baggy mate says he'll be pleased with 5m

Yep thats certainly the' rumour', and 5 million is about 2 too much.

Anyone heard anything of Koumas to us for 5m? Just whispers around today that we've made a bid? My baggy mate says he'll be pleased with 5m

I´ve seen the rumour coming back and that we were to beat Everton for Koumas. I dont know the player that good but for me it seems that it is yet again a british player with too high price tag! We could do much better hunting players outside of England...and save a good amount of money yet get higher quality.

From the players we are being linked with, I would say we are looking for 6 players.

1. A top class GK (Boruc, Gordon)

2. A top class RB (Young, De Jong)

3. An emerging CB (Mertesacker)

4. A top class DM (Reo Coker)

5. A top class creative midfielder with the ability to play anywhere across the middle (Sneijder, Koumas)

6. A goalscoring ST who can play both with Carew and replace him when injured (Fred, Bent etc.)

I'd be very happy with this!

Let's not totally disregard our youth players, they are the future of the club. I'd like to see Gardner, Osbourne, Davis and Moore proving their worth with us. ManU's best team was full of younglings - "you dont win things with kids" they said, WRONG!

Arsenal have also a great rep for breeding talent, that's what I think we should be aiming for. Would save us millions in the transfer market.

Let's not totally disregard our youth players, they are the future of the club. I'd like to see Gardner, Osbourne, Davis and Moore proving their worth with us. ManU's best team was full of younglings - "you dont win things with kids" they said, WRONG!

Arsenal have also a great rep for breeding talent, that's what I think we should be aiming for. Would save us millions in the transfer market.

What english youngsters has been making the grade recently in Man U and Arsenal?

Where did I say english youngsters? Nationality doesnt come into it, the point I'm making is that they should learn their trade at Villa knowing they will be given the opportunity. Doesnt matter whether they are English or Chinese.

Big money signings arent always the full solution.

And what 20 players do you count in to the first team?

Taken from OS:

1 Thomas Sorensen

2 Mark Delaney ?

3 Olof Mellberg

4 Martin Laursen

5 Gareth Barry

6 John Carew

7 Stiliyan Petrov

8 Steven Davis ?

9 Stuart Taylor ?

10 Gabriel Agbonlahor

11 Wilfred Bouma

12 Ashley Young

13 Aaron Hughes ?

14 Liam Ridgewell ?

15 Gary Cahill

16 Luke Moore

17 Sam Williams ?

18 Patrik Berger

19 Craig Gardner

20 Isaiah Osbourne ?

21 Shaun Maloney

22 Stephen O'Halloran ?

Our current first team squad:

Sorensen

Taylor

Delaney

Hughes

Mellberg

Laursen

Cahill

Ridgewell

Bouma

Barry

Petrov

Gardner

Osbourne

Davis

Maloney

Berger

Young

Moore

Agbonlahor

Carew

I count that as 20. Any you disagree with? So if nobody else leaves, I say that we need to bring in four players. If more do leave then replacements need to be signed.

MON himself has stated that he wants to steer clear from what problem we had in November when we were down to bare bones in players. We have now lost 5-6 players and yet not filled those places...and to listen to MON words before he would like to add quality to the existing squad. That means he will end up buying up to 10 players this summer!

WE don't need number, we have that. What we need is quallity. + you have to remember that the squad is already better now than last fall, with Carew instead of Baros, Maloney + Gabby and Moore a year older and Laursen looks like he is back.

We need 3-4 quality first teamers and a squad filler or 2, that will do just nicely.

Then you add Carew, Maloney, Berger and Laursen as high risk players due to injury history.

Which is why you have a squad in the first place. You don't just discount them from the numbers.

Yep thats exactly what i ment mI1dch (could you have chosen a harder name to type btw?), and that is also why having a decent deep squad is important. And that is also why selling off players in a fairly thin squad, without bringing anyone in, is risky. Sure we got great owners, good manager, everything is improving, but that doesnt change the fact that selling off before bringing in, is a bad idea.

If MON stated that we needed a better and bigger squad than what we had last season...and he has lost 5-6 players from that squad...you do the math...

its 'maths'

O'Neill didn't count them as he knew they were going - i presume he meant improve/add to what he had in mind as our new squad

we've lost NOBODY that we'll miss at all. for each duffer out, i expect either a new signing or internal promotion from our own talent to improve us

its not all about buying players. what's the point of having a youth set up if you don't use it and let the talented lads come through in place of the deadwood ?

The point is that we have a squad were youngsters and injury wrecks play a big part. Then we start selling off players before bringing anyone in. Its not smart.

The point is that we have a squad were youngsters and injury wrecks play a big part. Then we start selling off players before bringing anyone in. Its not smart.

I totally understand your concerns but that's just presuming that we don't have any new players lined up yet. I think we have, we're just finalising the deals. Have I got any proofs? Of course not, but I do believe that we have. And you don't have to believe the same. ;)

Please don't mention the "you don't win anything with kids" thing said about Man Utd and make that a common exception.

What happened there was 1/10000000000 and it will never happen again I'm afraid. At the time the league was not as

strong and there weren't many international stars here. Liverpool weren't good and Arsenal was mediocre.

True IF you were selling players who could play a part! Hendrie, McCann and Dx2 would most likely not play a part. In fact only McCann played last year, so we just need 1 player to be at least status quo. And who is to say that MON is not sure to bring in someone? Look at the deal with Maloney, it was done long before we heard about it!! It was just becuase Celtic wanted money the story leaked. Take it easy now and judge later.