Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

So that's what? Seven signings? And I didn't expect any by now, and I'm not suprised there haven't been any - in fact I'll be suprised if there are any in a months time - O'Neill doesn't seem to buy players like that

Do you think he will naturally still do that though John, even after saying he wants players in for pre-season?

i.e telling himself he wants them in time for pre-season but will still end up getting them all in late?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... but that seems to be the general thing that O'Neill gives off - he often reminds me of mr bean - not his decisions, but his mannerisms, his stressed, rushed look about him.....

He reminds me of Columbo.

Nice ramble by the way. You should know better than to finish off with a FM reference though.

If we don't sign a keeper, we've a good one and a decent one and can still function in the top half.

If we don't sign a centre half, we've three good ones and are still capable of finishing in the top half.

If we don't sign a central midfielder, and we're lucky with injuries and Barry doesn't have to play left back, we'll be okay.

If we don't sign a second powerful striker, we'll need to be lucky with injuries to Carew, or we'll struggle. (Although Luke is now a big lad.)

If we don't sign a back up left back, we'll need to be lucky with injuries, or we'll have to move Barry from midfield.

If we don't sign a right back, we'll have Mellberg and Gardner as our only options and we'll be ****.

So for me, that's one signing we absolutely need, a new right back just to stay where we are.

To improve, we need that right back and a back up right back, a back up left back, a left sided midfielder or a central midfielder, (depending on where we leave Barry), a centre half and a big striker.

Or, we'll need to be really really lucky.

I don't think you can leave all that until August. I'd be surprised if we don't have at least half of this in place by the time we cross the pond.

O'Neill doesn't seem to buy players like that - reading what Celtic fans have said about him confirmed my thoughts too - he never signed a Bosman signing whilst up there once, and always seems to leave things to the last minute - transfer deadline day deals

Which is untrue. Amazing how these myths propagate.

Back to saying I think we should sign van den borre as he scored a hatrick for me on FM now ;)

If we are buying players based on FM,we should get Oscar Ustari as GK,Ratinho as RB,Kompany as CB,Mauro Zarate as CF,Nicolas Millan as winger and Gerardo Torrado as DM.In real life though, only Torrado and Kompany are proven good.I can't judge the others as I haven't watched them play.

If we don't sign a keeper, we've a good one and a decent one and can still function in the top half.

If we don't sign a centre half, we've three good ones and are still capable of finishing in the top half.

If we don't sign a central midfielder, and we're lucky with injuries and Barry doesn't have to play left back, we'll be okay.

If we don't sign a second powerful striker, we'll need to be lucky with injuries to Carew, or we'll struggle. (Although Luke is now a big lad.)

If we don't sign a back up left back, we'll need to be lucky with injuries, or we'll have to move Barry from midfield.

If we don't sign a right back, we'll have Mellberg and Gardner as our only options and we'll be ****.

So for me, that's one signing we absolutely need, a new right back just to stay where we are.

To improve, we need that right back and a back up right back, a back up left back, a left sided midfielder or a central midfielder, (depending on where we leave Barry), a centre half and a big striker.

I don't think you can leave all that until August. I'd be surprised if we don't have at least half of this in place by the time we cross the pond.

I dont agree with you because we are too fragile if we stay as we are and if we even get a good man at the right side of defence, we´ll still struggle every game as we did last season.

There is no use to get players in that arent better than what we ships out and there is no use if we just fill up places where we are short. We need to fill places with players better than what we have shipped out and players that are better than what we have to field today. If we dont do that we will simply have a new relegation fight on our hands. Last season we were lucky to avoid relegation fight...at one time it did really look bad.

We need to improve in every area...

O'Neill doesn't seem to buy players like that - reading what Celtic fans have said about him confirmed my thoughts too - he never signed a Bosman signing whilst up there once, and always seems to leave things to the last minute - transfer deadline day deals

Which is untrue. Amazing how these myths propagate.

Where did I say it was?

I said that was my impression :roll:

if we stay as we are and if we even get a good man at the right side of defence, we´ll still struggle every game as we did last season.

I don't remember struggling every game last season. I remember our defence looking generally very solid more often than not, and I remember us finishing with the sixth best defence in the league - even without a great right-back.

Last season we were lucky to avoid relegation fight

No, we were good enough to avoid the relegation fight. In terms of points, we were closer to fifth place than eighteenth.

if we stay as we are and if we even get a good man at the right side of defence, we´ll still struggle every game as we did last season.

I don't remember struggling every game last season. I remember our defence looking generally very solid more often than not, and I remember us finishing with the sixth best defence in the league - even without a great right-back.

Last season we were lucky to avoid relegation fight

No, we were good enough to avoid the relegation fight. In terms of points, we were closer to fifth place than eighteenth.

I remember that we struggle to score goals...that we had a mid season nightmare and that we had a good share of luck to turn things around. I remember us being very close to relegation place...I believe it was as close as 4 points. I remember that I felt every game we played we needed luck to win. We had a terrible midfield...a solid defence...but not a effective attack. Things got much better when McCann was out of the team and when Berger hit the form together with Young, Carew, Agbonlahor and Barry. Had it turned the other way around we could have been in real threat of relegation. If you didnt see that then I must say I am very surprised.

In terms of points we were closer to fifth than eighteenth...yes...but that was when the season was finished!

If you want to fool yourself and think that Villa of today have material for Europe then go ahead...I wont get fooled.

If you want to fool yourself and think that Villa of today have material for Europe then go ahead

Thanks, I will.

In Barry, Gabby, Young, Carew, Laursen, Bouma, Petrov, Mellberg and others we do have 'material for Europe'. All of those players are good enough.

Now we just need to sign a few players to supplement them.

I remember that we struggle to score goals

Which doesn't have a lot to do with our 'fragility', which is what you were originally complaining about.

I remember us being very close to relegation place...I believe it was as close as 4 points

How shocking. Does it matter though? we finished 12 points clear, as we always were going to with the run-in that we had.

I remember that I felt every game we played we needed luck to win

Er....yes. As you do to win any game.

Suggestions? Why don't we sign Giuly (pronounced Julie but with the stress on the last syllable?)?

Well me I'm a James Milner fan but how about this?

Newcastle are interested in signing French winger Ludovic Giuly from Barcelona for just £1.5m. (Daily Mirror)

link

That is bloody cheap (pity it's only in the Mirror).

Oh and please see Games and Gaming! 8)

Giuly would be a dream signing IMO. For that price, well, what's better than a bargain? Anyway, sign him uo quickly, mr MON. He's class. Didn't think Barca would sell him.

Bloody Hell - you sound like Doug Ellis !!!

I'm not that worried about new signings, they will come sooner or later. But I am f**king curious which players MON has as his targets. It's almost not funny that he and the club keeps it all so tight to their chest. Just a little hint would be nice, mr MON. ATM I think there's nothing. It's a bit annoying. :P