Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

If you want to fool yourself and think that Villa of today have material for Europe then go ahead

Thanks, I will.

In Barry, Gabby, Young, Carew, Laursen, Bouma, Petrov, Mellberg and others we do have 'material for Europe'. All of those players are good enough.

Now we just need to sign a few players to supplement them.

I remember that we struggle to score goals

Which doesn't have a lot to do with our 'fragility', which is what you were originally complaining about.

I remember us being very close to relegation place...I believe it was as close as 4 points

How shocking. Does it matter though? we finished 12 points clear, as we always were going to with the run-in that we had.

I remember that I felt every game we played we needed luck to win

Er....yes. As you do to win any game.

Get one injured of your Euro players and you´ll see how strong we are...just need players to supplement those we already have? Well that seems a little bit too much positive thinking.

MON himself has stated that he wants to steer clear from what problem we had in November when we were down to bare bones in players. We have now lost 5-6 players and yet not filled those places...and to listen to MON words before he would like to add quality to the existing squad. That means he will end up buying up to 10 players this summer! Yet there is no one signed. It seems as if it is a little bit tough out there...at least if you read behind the lines with MON and Fitzgerald commenting on OS for example.

It would be utterly disappointing and sad for Villa to come out and say..."ok this is what we´ve got this summer"...."`We tried the hardest we could but there was not to be".

I sincerely hope that I wont ever see that kind of statement, but not get fooled here....we are still in the Ellis warp as the club is trying to break out from that reputation quick. It will take time before Villa has the same status outside as the club has within in its supporters. We are a little bit too much positive about AVFC and that the club could attract new high profile players easily with MON and Lerner. They will...but it will take time though.

The competition for signings are very tough and there are quite a few good managers out in europe that attracts players more than MON. There are cosiderable amount of clubs that attract players more than Villa.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone is being friggin taken over...we need to act now...and hit hard in the transfer market while we can before we become just one of many Rich Clubs.......i think you all know which club in particular has triggered me to urge this message without me saying anything!!!!!!WE NEED CLASS SIGNINGS NOW......SO WE CAN CONTINUE TO SHIT ON THE CITY....NO **** WAITING AROUND AND GAUGING THIS AND THAT SITUATION AND SCTRATCHING THE ASS...WE AINT GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!

I see that too, and I can't see it all happening with one bout of summer signings either. It will take time (and I don't mean a couple of weeks) to get to the point where we can break into the top four. What's going on is certainly moving in the right direction though, with the young players of class getting the chance to play together and form a unit.

But we must really stop being so easy to score against, especially from set pieces, as this makes life difficult.

Considering the amount of points we should have made, but didn't last season, we could have been in a european spot already!

everyone is being friggin taken over...we need to act now...and hit hard in the transfer market while we can before we become just one of many Rich Clubs.......i think you all know which club in particular has triggered me to urge this message without me saying anything!!!!!!WE NEED CLASS SIGNINGS NOW......SO WE CAN CONTINUE TO SHIT ON THE CITY....NO **** WAITING AROUND AND GAUGING THIS AND THAT SITUATION AND SCTRATCHING THE ASS...WE AINT GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!

Relax man! :lol:

Its the same old people with the same old whining that we saw in January and look at what we did then!

.....SO WE CAN CONTINUE TO SHIT ON THE CITY....NO **** WAITING AROUND AND GAUGING THIS AND THAT SITUATION AND SCTRATCHING THE ASS...WE AINT GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!

:?

there is 3 months, and not evrything is about sha.

I must say that Villa are heading in the right direction and it is a fresh breath of air that they tie up youngsters like the promising austrians and the swedish. They also have something that I have missed with Villa and that is technical skills and size. I do think MON is spot on here and it is lovely too see...

The first team must be priority though and of course it is. However...we do need to get high profile players in sooner than later because the targets we´re after are going to see what we buy and what our plans are. If we only have plans and nothing done yet we can be branded a fantasy land by players whereas other teams do what they say and land players.

Its the same old people with the same old whining that we saw in January and look at what we did then!

It ended with a bright smile, but as I recall it...it seemed to take quite a while in the hunt of Young. Were we lucky to strike the deals of Young and Carew or was it planned? Did Villa do the most work or was it the other club (Lyon) that made the most work?

Even if we had a share of luck in january getting players I do think that some questions needs to be discussed.

I say it again...it never seems to be easy for Villa to strike deals. It takes such amount of time whereas others just seem to go in...punch...and sign a player. Maybe it is just an illusion and fantasy on my behalf, but there is a feeling that wont leave...

It ended with a bright smile, but as I recall it...it seemed to take quite a while in the hunt of Young. Were we lucky to strike the deals of Young and Carew or was it planned? Did Villa do the most work or was it the other club (Lyon) that made the most work?

Even if we had a share of luck in january getting players I do think that some questions needs to be discussed.

I say it again...it never seems to be easy for Villa to strike deals. It takes such amount of time whereas others just seem to go in...punch...and sign a player. Maybe it is just an illusion and fantasy on my behalf, but there is a feeling that wont leave...

Would never call it luck. I know what you mean that we might have been lucky that the chance to sign Carew turned up, but from there I think it was our ambitions (Ah, what a wonderful new word for Villans), MONs charisma and enthusiasm, etc that made Carew wanting to come here. Not luck. And why was Young signed by luck? :?

MON himself has stated that he wants to steer clear from what problem we had in November when we were down to bare bones in players. We have now lost 5-6 players and yet not filled those places...and to listen to MON words before he would like to add quality to the existing squad. That means he will end up buying up to 10 players this summer!

Of the players that have gone, only McCann was a first-team regular last season. Also (as you noted), we need to add quality to the squad - not quantity - so your "we need to buy ten players" line makes no sense at all.

At the very most, I think O'Neill is looking for six players this summer - a keeper, two defenders, two midfielders and a striker - and if we get that many in, we'll have good cover for the season.

I say it again...it never seems to be easy for Villa to strike deals. It takes such amount of time whereas others just seem to go in...punch...and sign a player.

It seems that way because we don't follow other team's transfer stories with the same attention that we follow Villa's.

It's also wrong to assume that as soon as a player's name appears in the press we are "trying" to sign them. There may have been some interest - a phone call to an agent, for example - but almost without exception, the first stories will be placed in the news by those same agents.

In the case of Young - and now, apparently, Reo-Coker - there was some haggling between the clubs over the price of the deal, but I don't see a way to avoid that.

MON himself has stated that he wants to steer clear from what problem we had in November when we were down to bare bones in players. We have now lost 5-6 players and yet not filled those places...and to listen to MON words before he would like to add quality to the existing squad. That means he will end up buying up to 10 players this summer!

Of the players that have gone, only McCann was a first-team regular last season. Also (as you noted), we need to add quality to the squad - not quantity - so your "we need to buy ten players" line makes no sense at all.

At the very most, I think O'Neill is looking for six players this summer - a keeper, two defenders, two midfielders and a striker - and if we get that many in, we'll have good cover for the season.

If MON stated that we needed a better and bigger squad than what we had last season...and he has lost 5-6 players from that squad...you do the math...

To sign 5-6 players ends us in status quo if we look at the quantity statement from MON. I think MON will buy around 10 players where 3 will be high profile, 4 will be good squad players and 3 will be high talented prospects. That is my feeling and prediction.

I say it again...it never seems to be easy for Villa to strike deals. It takes such amount of time whereas others just seem to go in...punch...and sign a player.

It seems that way because we don't follow other team's transfer stories with the same attention that we follow Villa's.

It's also wrong to assume that as soon as a player's name appears in the press we are "trying" to sign them. There may have been some interest - a phone call to an agent, for example - but almost without exception, the first stories will be placed in the news by those same agents.

In the case of Young - and now, apparently, Reo-Coker - there was some haggling between the clubs over the price of the deal, but I don't see a way to avoid that.

There is...

Tell them to name their price...and get the deal done and move to the next! If West Ham desperately needs £10m then give them that and move on. A player like NRC is worth that to our team even though his real value might not be that high.

We are not going to get bargains every time we want to buy players, especially when everyone knows Lerner is loaded with dollars and the club is going like a rocket in value.

I dont see any reason to mess about...just show muscles...punch and get the player to sign!

To sign 5-6 players ends us in status quo if we look at the quantity statement from MON. I think MON will buy around 10 players where 3 will be high profile, 4 will be good squad players and 3 will be high talented prospects. That is my feeling and prediction.

By my calculations we currently have a first team squad of 20. If we add your 'ten players' to that, we will have a first team squad of 30.

How many clubs in the Premier League have a first team squad of 30 players?

Dont forget, some players will come up from the Youth and reserves. Not that we should depend on them but players like Steiber and Lund could do a short term job if called upon. That will flesh out the numbers a little.

Anyway, we'll get some players in soon. There are no fools at the helm of this ship.

We already have the three talented prospects in the form of those foreign 16 year olds. I think we will add 3 first team players and 2 squad players.

Now we are on the same level...the two austrians and the swede can be those talented 3 players.

I would though...put NRC in the group of squad players as I dont see him as a high profile player yet. He has potential but he isnt a big player yet.

If I calculate we will buy this:

Big signings:

1 defensive midfielder of high profile (?)

1 defender able to play central or right side. (De Jong?)

1 attacker/attacking/creative midfielder of high profile (Sneijder?)

Squad players/promising:

1 defensive midfielder (NRC)

1 attackning midfielder on right side. (Koumas?)

1 attacker. (Nugent?)

1 goalkeeper that is as good as Sorensen but a better prospect. (?)

Promising talents:

2 Austrians

1 Swede :winkold:

By my calculations we currently have a first team squad of 20. If we add your 'ten players' to that, we will have a first team squad of 30.

How many clubs in the Premier League have a first team squad of 30 players?

And what 20 players do you count in to the first team?

Taken from OS:

1 Thomas Sorensen

2 Mark Delaney ?

3 Olof Mellberg

4 Martin Laursen

5 Gareth Barry

6 John Carew

7 Stiliyan Petrov

8 Steven Davis ?

9 Stuart Taylor ?

10 Gabriel Agbonlahor

11 Wilfred Bouma

12 Ashley Young

13 Aaron Hughes ?

14 Liam Ridgewell ?

15 Gary Cahill

16 Luke Moore

17 Sam Williams ?

18 Patrik Berger

19 Craig Gardner

20 Isaiah Osbourne ?

21 Shaun Maloney

22 Stephen O'Halloran ?

Villa had to take in youngsters to fill the squad and I seriously doubt that Williams, Osbourne and O´Halloran will be first team players next season. They will most probably go back to reserve team or be loaned out to other clubs to develop.

Im with Tricella. We need Class signings that could potentially force out the likes of bouma, mellberg and Petrov, This is the only way we will hit the next level.

Petrov would no way of signed for us if DOL was in charge because we awere a club in decline. Force out the likes of Bouma and Mellberg has confused me as these are players that will help us get European football. These are class players in their own position so I am not entirely sure which players you are looking at to replace them, when it is clear that we should be looking at other positions to help us achieve our ambitions at the next level.

If MON stated that we needed a better and bigger squad than what we had last season...and he has lost 5-6 players from that squad...you do the math...

It's not a question of arithmetic. Bar McCann, the players that have left wouldn't even have been on the bench next season, so we don't need to replace them.

What we do need are some more players of real quality, to compete with (or provide cover for) the first XI.