Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Who do they normally play instead of Wood?

Their normal CF for last three seasons who's just been called up by England, Calum Wilson. If ever there was a woosh moment....😉

Actually forgot they signed Isak who would be their first choice CF but he played about 3 games for them and then got injured playing for Sweden.

Wood dosen't fit into Howe's style at all so can see them selling him to someone like Bournemouth or Fulham in January for what they paid Burnley, maybe Everton could be another option.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Their normal CF for last three seasons who's just been called up by England, Calum Wilson. If ever there was a woosh moment....😉

Actually forgot they signed Isak who would be their first choice CF but he played about 3 games for them and then got injured playing for Sweden.

Wood dosen't fit into Howe's style at all so can see them selling him to someone like Bournemouth or Fulham in January for what they paid Burnley, maybe Everton could be another option.

They paid 25 million for Wood. They arent getting that back

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They paid 25 million for Wood. They arent getting that back

Thought his release clause from Burnley was 18m.

I could certainly see Everton going into panic mode towards the end of the window and signing him if they miss out on other targets given how they play and Calvert Lewin is made of glass these days.

Would be a decent fit for Fulham aswell with all the games Mitrovic is injured for.

This is fine.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/newcastle-united-partner-with-saudia-ahead-of-riyadh-based-warm-weather-training-camp/

Newcastle United partner with SAUDIA ahead of Riyadh-based warm-weather training camp

Newcastle United has partnered with Saudi Arabia's national carrier, SAUDIA, as the club prepares for a warm weather training camp in Riyadh this December

18 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

To be fair man utd had one for 10+ years, it was Aeroflot, Liverpools is garuda, City and arsenal obviously don't have one, psg barca and bayern all have Qatar Airlines

Its absolutely **** stupid that a football club has an airline partner and that Newcastle will artificially pump millions in via one but all they're doing to me is highlighting how broken the current rules are

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair man utd had one for 10+ years, it was Aeroflot, Liverpools is garuda, City and arsenal obviously don't have one, psg barca and bayern all have Qatar Airlines

Its absolutely **** stupid that a football club has an airline partner and that Newcastle will artificially pump millions in via one but all they're doing to me is highlighting how broken the current rules are

if you want the laughs, American Airlines partners (or partnered) with Watford a year or two ago. It's crazy that teams can do this (and that other teams haven't been able to get some. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Would be slightly concerned if I was these that Man U represents a much bigger bauble for Saudi than Newcastle. 

It would be absolutely hilarous if the owners did sell newcastle and went for utd instead.

But i must admit i think id prefer the Geordies to be more a success than manure if given the choice out of the two

• 1 month later...

Guardian doing their bit of sport washing about how wonderful Saudi Arabia is (for the weather):

“Like it or not, Newcastle are in effect unofficial ambassadors for Saudi Arabia. At some point in the coming months they are expected to attend a warm-weather training camp in the new, lavishly futuristic Red Sea resort rapidly taking shape along the kingdom’s west coast, 300 miles north of Jeddah. It is not intended to merely draw sun-starved northern Europeans towards its glorious winter climate, but to help change international perceptions of the country”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/25/eddie-howe-confident-newcastle-can-convert-champions-league-promise

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Guardian doing their bit of sport washing about how wonderful Saudi Arabia is (for the weather):

“Like it or not, Newcastle are in effect unofficial ambassadors for Saudi Arabia. At some point in the coming months they are expected to attend a warm-weather training camp in the new, lavishly futuristic Red Sea resort rapidly taking shape along the kingdom’s west coast, 300 miles north of Jeddah. It is not intended to merely draw sun-starved northern Europeans towards its glorious winter climate, but to help change international perceptions of the country”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/25/eddie-howe-confident-newcastle-can-convert-champions-league-promise

Not what I expected from The Guardian. Disappointing.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that positively describing the climate in the Gulf in winter is 'sports washing' TBH. 

Yeah, I know it’s a bit dubious but really this is a stretch.

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that positively describing the climate in the Gulf in winter is 'sports washing' TBH. 

Not the weather but that paragraph reads like an advertisement for SA.

10 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Not the weather but that paragraph reads like an advertisement for SA.

I read it differently, as just accurately describing what's happening. It does contain some positive adjectives, but presumably the resort *is* lavish and futuristic, and the climate definitely *is* glorious. 

It's good in general to be clear about what we are angry about. I think some of the criticism of Qatar got a bit confused about this, and maybe the Newcastle/Saudi situation is going the same way. For me, the issue is that a sovereign wealth fund cannot be a 'fit and proper' owner, because it gives a club too many financial advantages and this distorts the competition too much. Another thing to be angry about is Saudi's government actions, in particular its war crimes in Yemen, and the murder of an American journalist, and the lack of division between the Saudi state on the one hand, and the ownership of Newcastle on the other, is another reason not to consider Newcastle's owners to be 'fit and proper'. But what this really tells us is that the 'sportswashing' was allowing the purchase in the first place. Sadly, our government not only allowed it but actually worked hard to facilitate it, so Saudi ownership of Newcastle is now a fait accompli, and the 'sportswashing' is the current situation.

By contrast, *reporting* on things that are happening is not 'sportswashing', unless it involves diminishing or ignoring crimes or whatever. We need to be able to say true things like 'this hotel is nice and so is the weather'. 

• Like 4

Â