Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

4 minutes ago, Random Precision said:

I dont think they’ll be that bothered, they’ve only been there 18 month. Not had time to be involved in owt dodgy.

Market setting sleeve sponsor from their mate

Jumped from £1.5m to £7.5m

Edited by villa4europe

I think the League will effectively ban nation states from owning clubs moving forward. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t an investigation into them. It should have never been allowed, especially with the government interfering. I think there’s going to be a lot more pressure if Labour take power also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

I believe it's illegal already.

Newcastle got a pass because *checks notes* the ownership has a cigarette paper thin disassociation from actually being run by the Saudi state. But they are run by the Saudi state and every one and their dog knows it.

The funniest part was a month after the takeover Yasir Al Rumayyan at the Saudi GP directing things for the state. 😂 

But Ibn Saud’s offspring don’t own Newcastle United. Honest.

The Times sport section had an interesting article the other day regarding the new 'independent football regulatory body' which is due to be established in the near future. They also outlined some scenarios surrounding how the Man City issues could impact clubs like Newcastle, and other clubs owned and run by nation states. The author thought it simply would not be the case that ownership by any entity that the British government does business with or has a relationship with would be banned from owning a club in the PL.

A separate article discussed Man City and made the case that the FFP rules were brought in to keep other clubs in their place. Man City and Chelsea basically knew these rules would not allow them to break into the elite if they waited, so they front loaded their spending in those mad, early years. Tbf i agreed with a lot of the article, the 'red' clubs, Liverpool and man united, had too much dominance before this point. FFP basically locked in this advantage for a few more clubs other than those 2.

obviously the rest of us were late to the party and it is very much not a level playing field anymore. Newcastle wil force their way in due to the sheer wealth of PIF Saudi

10 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I think the League will effectively ban nation states from owning clubs moving forward. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t an investigation into them. It should have never been allowed, especially with the government interfering. I think there’s going to be a lot more pressure if Labour take power also. 

I would have a little more faith in that happening if the PL hadn’t ratified the Geordie takeover barely 18 months ago. 

Please let the man city scandal spill over to Newcastle too. No more bloody nation states owning football clubs please. It's detrimental for the sport and we all know it if we're being honest with ourselves. Football games should not be won in board rooms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

Please let the man city scandal spill over to Newcastle too. No more bloody nation states owning football clubs please. It's detrimental for the sport and we all know it if we're being honest with ourselves. Football games should not be won in board rooms.

I agree with the sentiment but the UAE aren’t particularly ‘bloody’ are they?

Not like Saudi Arabia’s regime. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I used the word for emphasis. But yes, Saudi Arabia does have blood on their hands.

51 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Not overt blood - but lots of suppression of freedom of expression, the forced deportation of religious minorities, jailing people critical of the state on very spurious grounds. UAE might have withdrawn troops from Yemen in 2019, but still has a hand to play in the bloodshed. Women's rights are very poor - you need a male guardian to consent for divorce, the laws effectively enforce marital rape if a woman wants to retain maintaince. Unmarried women who are pregnant face discrimination in the health service. This is before we even touch on LGBT rights and those of migrant workers.

1 hour ago, Random Precision said:

And approved by the PL FMV committee

Of course it was

Spurs are on the verge of a new PL record breaking deal with the South African government, the others will follow

An artificially inflated tide raises all sky 6 boats...

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

If that’s your bar then you’d need to call many countries ‘bloody’. The U.K. is an ally and supplies the weapons to that conflict for a start. 

I mean I'm perfectly happy to say that the UK has a lot of blood on its hands over its logistical support for the war in Yemen. Maybe it's for another thread of course. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean I'm perfectly happy to say that the UK has a lot of blood on its hands over its logistical support for the war in Yemen. Maybe it's for another thread of course. 

We should all criticise foreign policy stuff done by our government. There’s just that the gov here isn’t bankrolling a team for sportswashing. One doesn’t wash away the other. 

50 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Saudicastle are the team for Amazon prime show next season.  All non newcastle fans should boycott it.

They are a match made in heaven. Saudis probably have better workers rights 😛

• Haha 1

Â