Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I would like to see how many fans they have outside newcastle, i bet it isnt high 

I think they have very big localised support. I'd say if your from that way you support Newcastle or Sunderland, where as around the midlands your more prone to glory hunters. Like I said there are Newcastle fans all over but most have links to the north east. They have never had the success like other clubs have to generate a nationwide support, although sky and the media tried their hardest to turn them into something they weren't . It's like us, I don't think we generate the support nationwide like clubs like Leeds and Everton do because we have never had that sustained period of success. Yes we won the league and the big one the season after which no doubt made us some new fans from outside the Midlands but we never really hit on from there. And since then we haven't really done enough to make us that appealing.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Everton? Bigger fanbase than Villa? That's a new one on me.

You would be surprised. Everton is a close one I must admit as I see nowhere near as many Everton fans about as I do Leeds but decade after decade apart from the last decade and a half Everton have always had some success. We haven't and we come from a very unfashionable city.

newcastle to manchester is a 3 hour drive, if you take that as a zone they have 2 PL clubs (sunderland and boro) within that

within a 3 hour drive of birmingham you have man city, man utd, liverpool, everton, chelsea, watford, west ham, chelsea, spurs, arsenal, burnley, palace, baggies, stoke, hull, leicester, swansea, southampton...and maybe boro and bournemouth if you've got a heavy foot ;) (boro is 3 hrs 4 minutes, bournemouth 3 hours 12 mins according to google)

thats without then looking at the rest of the midlands with blues, wolves, coventry, walsall etc

agree with rev, you cant compare them, the north east really is a football island, them lot up there will always drag up attendances because out of the 47 odd measuring sticks they can use to compare clubs its the 1 that they know they will top

• Like 1

I obviously have a bit of local knowledge with regards to North East football support. Newcastle is the biggest supported club in the region, with Sunderland not too far behind, and Boro very much in third place. Newcastle generated the core of it's support from Northumberland, to North Durham. Sunderland further east, as well as picking up a lot of support from South Durham (places like Bishop Auckland particularly). Boro get the majority of their support from Teesside. Redcar to Stockton is their main catchment area. On top of this, contrary to popular belief there are a lot of glory hunters. Manchester United and Liverpool especially (maybe down to the fact the North East clubs spent time in the lower leagues). Leeds are a very well supported club in County Durham, as well as North Yorkshire. Finally you've got your lower and non league clubs. Traditionally Harltepool and Darlington have a big rivalry, and are the biggest of the other clubs in the area, you can probably add York City into the mix. Since Darlington got relegated 7 divisions, they've lost a lot of support, although they still have a hardcore of around two thousand or so fans who attend regularly. Non league football is also thriving in the North East. Clubs like Blyth, Gateshead, Bishop Auckland, Morpeth, Spenny Moore, etc have all got respected reputations in non league football, and the Northern League is the second oldest football league in the world.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Tyneside alone has the best part of a million people. Also take into account the ethnic make up of both areas.

Definitely, I would like to think seeing how quick the good Dr jumped in to India I'm hoping he's taking it in to account too...

On 18/09/2016 at 10:55, Rugeley Villa said:

I think from our perspective we just take the piss out of them and like to see them fall on their arse. With them though they seem to have an insecurity about themselves regarding us. It's like they need to keep telling themselves they are a bigger draw and a much bigger club with much better fans etc etc.

Unlike us - we never bang on about some trophy we won in the early 1980's ;)

• Like 2

This was posted on Away Days earlier

14359047_543237855881470_4958404363608654539_n.jpg?oh=cd81c19a3a3e4335e7d41cff669c5b49&oe=5884B111

A lot of people have agreed with Villa's position.  However a few have disagreed and said Newcastle should be ahead.  A quick click on their profile reveals them to be from Newcastle every single time!  They're a bunch of complete morons.

Chelsea are a bigger club than us now, but what people don't realise is that football started a long time ago and this list probably takes into account the whole history of English football, hence why Leeds are so low.  Man utd

liverpool

arsenal

chelsea

then you could argue all day about who comes after those four. I've never saw Newcastle as a bigger club than villa. Everton yes, Spurs probably, Leeds were big but they have had too many seasons out the top flight to stand with us. City no, Sunderland no etc etc. I'd have us between 6-8 . But we tick a lot of boxes historically to be considered top 6.

Apart from current situation us and Everton are pretty much neck and neck IMO 

however I'd guess a lot of other fans would put them above us, are we still above them in the all time prem table? I know Spurs have overtaken us on that table about 2 years a go and the England player record, I think we are a lot higher up on tables and records than other fans give us credit for, I know Liverpool are ahead of us and Chelsea have caught us in terms of league cups but I think we've still won more games in that competition than any other team

Imo we only have one thing over Everton and that was our European cup win. I do agree  though we are very similar clubs in about everything really. I think they shade it because decade after decade they had success, apart from the last decade. I like Everton fans, very level headed and we both respect each other as clubs.

Â