Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

But they need an entire new defence and probably midfield. It won't be that easy for them.

Benitez got them organised end of the season at long last at the back, he has a proven record at drilling defences into shape.  They have decent keepers at the club and Lascelles will be very good for them at that level, Mbemba will probably stay and that will be a powerful combination.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They've been linked with Agger and Reina already, those two would be top quality in the Championship. We're going to deliver big time this window.

Is Gerrard going too?

On 5/25/2016 at 07:51, VillaChris said:

Not 100 points but they'll comfortably win the league.

Mitrovic will comfortably score 15-20 goals imo so that's a good start. I'm sure a manager of his stature will attract some decent players.

On 5/25/2016 at 08:05, Zatman said:

not an issue for us, dont expect us to compete with them anyway and we should be looking for that 2nd automatic spot

These posts are about where I am. I think they'll cruise the league. If we're run really well etc etc (all the stuff I've put in the Di Matteo thread) then we should be a decent bet for 2nd. 

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Rafas lost his highly rated assistant that could have a impact pending who he brings in

is he highly rated though? He just followed Rafa from his last 3 jobs and 1 of them was a failure and another was below par. Pako was much more highly sought after when he left Liverpool

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

is he highly rated though? He just followed Rafa from his last 3 jobs and 1 of them was a failure and another was below par. Pako was much more highly sought after when he left Liverpool

From what I heard he was very highly rated at Madrid we can only hope. Be interesting as anyone he brings outside wont have  a clue about the players similar to RDM

Edited by Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What would you rather have? -

Mike Ashley as owner and Rafa as manager

OR

Tony Xia as owner and Di Matteo as manager

It's basically impossible to say without knowing what Xia will be like.

But at the moment I'd choose the former.

But it won't take much from Xia for me to be swayed towards the latter.

57 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's basically impossible to say without knowing what Xia will be like.

But at the moment I'd choose the former.

But it won't take much from Xia for me to be swayed towards the latter.

I was about to say this. We don't know what kind of owner Xia is, he could be brilliant or he could be a disaster. Too early to say. now if question was would you rather have ashley and rafa or lerner and RDM i think we all know what answer would be. 

On 5/26/2016 at 03:30, Gary Thomas said:

They have a good side but I wonder how they will cope with cold away games at Rotherham, Brentford, Preston etc. 

Why does everyone on VT think that gams are colder/wetter in the Championship? They are still played in England aren't they?
Not particularly aimed at you Gary just an observation.

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Why does everyone on VT think that gams are colder/wetter in the Championship? They are still played in England aren't they?
Not particularly aimed at you Gary just an observation.

Fair point.  For me it's probably more about the smaller opposition and grounds.  Benítez, for instance, has spent most of his managerial career at clubs like Madrid, Valencia, Inter, Liverpool and Chelsea.  I just picture him standing at a Rotherham or Preston on a freezing cold wet Tuesday night thinking 'what the f**k am I doing here?'  Can imagine some of their international players being the same.  I am probably way off the mark, but that was what was behind my post.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone read this garbage?

The identity of clubs relegated from the Premier League is  always going to be of interest to supporters of Championship clubs but amongst the Aston Villa fans, there are some interesting takes on the coming season.

The Birmingham Mail interviewed Howard Hodgson, a director of the Aston Villa Supporters Trust, after the fixtures were released and this is part of what he had to say:

‘Facing Championship fixtures for the first time in 29 years. A whole new, different challenge where the focus will be on Villa, as the biggest club in the division.

I’d love to say automatic promotion like Graham Taylor managed in 1988 but without knowing how the squad is going to line up at this stage and witnessing what the club has been through in the last 6 seasons, I’d take play offs now, if it was on offer.’

The  interview produced a reaction from other Aston Villa fans with comments including:

‘What exactly is meant by the headline that Villa are the biggest club in the Championship ?

Physically and attendance wise, Villa are not the biggest club in the Championship, Newcastle win that one by a country mile and I will tell you this, Newcastle won’t be closing parts of the stadium, nor sacking half its ground staff either, they will as almost always, have near to and some games, capacity crowds.

If we are talking about our Trophy Cabinet, you are correct, but having a bigger Trophy cabinet, does not make us a bigger club.’

‘Newcastle are owned by Mike Ashley who also owns Sports Direct where everything is supposedly reduced by 70%.

So, if you take 70% off their gates, we’re a bigger club.’

‘Would you like to explain to me why you obviously think we are a bigger club than Newcastle, cos I’d love to further my education.

I am Villa to the core and yes, to me Villa are the Heart and Soul of my footballing life, but I am also a realist.

We deserved exactly what we got and I like many others, am totally surprised it didn’t happen four or five seasons ago and for a very good reason, we have not been a big club for many a year now, but this is a new beginning, perhaps one day soon, we can again shout it out, we are a big club, but until it happens, we aint.’

Talking about which club is the biggest always carries a significant risk of making you look childish but seen as he started it…

Claiming to be the biggest club in the Championship is a bit of a strange one, not exactly something to be proud of when your club has made such a mess of things to end up there.

So who is the ‘biggest’ then, for argument’s sake?

A number of articles recently carried on The Mag, with comments/reaction from fans of Burton Albion, Fulham, Huddersfield Town & Reading, all certainly appear to make clear which team they were looking forward to playing the most this season and who they saw as the biggest draw…and it wasn’t Aston Villa.

When it comes to success, neither club has won anything in the last 20 seasons so a but difficult to argue anything either way on that front.

Newcastle will have more supporters than Aston Villa as usual (last season Newcastle averaged half as many again as Villa – 49k v 33k), NUFC have a bigger stadium, will have a bigger turnover,  a bigger wage bill and hopefully…bigger points total.

- See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/06/aston-villa-fans-worried-burden-biggest-club-championship-newcastle-united/#sthash.GvCbEbhB.dpuf

Blimey this set of Newcastle fans (I won't band them all together), seem more obsessed and hate us more than the unmentionables down the road. This is the same website that copied and pasted a load of comments from our pre-match thread onto an article late last season.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 02:49, Dr_Pangloss said:

They've been linked with Agger and Reina already, those two would be top quality in the Championship. We're going to deliver big time this window.

Heard also, Alonso, Torres, Masherano and Hyypia (yes he's coming out of retirement), along with Gerrard are all being linked and will join him in the championship...

Â