Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, useless said:

If he and Gayle sign and the goalkeeper that will be close to £30M they will have spent on three players. Ashley said at one time that the money had gone, but when it comes to it they always spend. That's why I wasn't keen on them getting relegated.

A big spend has never been in doubt since the day Rafa agreed to stay. The only way you persuade Rafa Benitez to manage in the championship is $$$

Getting Gayle has really pissed me off.  If we'd got him, in my mind we were already half-way towards promotion because he'll score a hatful.  Now they'll get it instead.  Most transfers I can brush off with indifference, but this one has really really irked me.

I could never understand the calls for us to sign Gayle when we were in the Premier league. In the Championship he might do alright, especially at Newcastle and with decent players around him. But I'm not exactly heart-broken that he's gone to Newcastle. For example I'd much rather Ayew, if we can keep him, than Gayle

He's a natural goalscorer.  He wasn't really given a fair crack of the whip at Palace, yet whenever he did come on he always seemed to score.  Given a proper run in their team I think his numbers would have been much more impressive.  Stepping back down to the Championship with 3 Premier League years under his belt I think he'll be at least a 1 in 2 man.  He was my number one target and arguably the best striker readily available on the market, and Newcastle got him.

I know there's always a 'yeah but' response to posts of this nature because ultimately people will not have their opinions changed despite enquiring as to why someone thinks the way they do, but you did ask, and them's my thoughts :)

9 minutes ago, useless said:

For example I'd much rather Ayew, if we can keep him, than Gayle

Which is very unlikely.  So in effect we probably have neither.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Even if that's the case, I still think we can get better than Gayle for £10m.

Well obviously I sincerely hope you're right, but at the moment I'm not seeing anyone.  Maybe McCormack.  I dunno.  I guess In RDM we trust :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Why is Gayle so highly rated? He's hardly done anything in the last 3 years.

Well he did score a screamer past us.  But then, who hasn't?

Even Kieran Richardson did for Fulham.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Well he did score a screamer past us.  But then, who hasn't?

Even Kieran Richardson did for Fulham.

im still convinced thats why we signed him

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I can see us going for McCormack and for me I'd rather have gayle 

20 goals since 2013, Gestede has double that in this time

Gayle is garbage and his mates in our squad wouldnt be good 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

20 goals since 2013, Gestede has double that in this time

Gayle is garbage and his mates in our squad wouldnt be good 

He isn't he is decent at this level

the second point I agree with, maybe that shy we never went for him

McCormack sell clause has apparently expired. I actually think Gayle and McCormack are two different styles of striker anyway, so wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle were still interested in McCormack.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

McCormack sell clause has apparently expired. I actually think Gayle and McCormack are two different styles of striker anyway, so wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle were still interested in McCormack.

Nah. Mitrovic. It would be obscene (and **** idiotic even for Newcastle), to sign McCormack for £15m now. 

Â