Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

On 5/19/2016 at 21:50, mikeyp102 said:

Benitez is a good manager, but are people seriously saying that he'll get them to 100 points? That team needs just as much building as ours. Mitrovic is banned for 4 games, the defence is awful (although lascelles will probably shine) and the midfielders will probably leave. 

Plus knowing the Geordies they'll get annoyed at Benitez for not being attacking enough. 

Not 100 points but they'll comfortably win the league.

Mitrovic will comfortably score 15-20 goals imo so that's a good start. I'm sure a manager of his stature will attract some decent players.

Only amusing thing is Newcastle have finally appointed a decent manager to unite the fanbase...and they had to get relegated from the prem to do that. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

TBH I think us and Newcastle are in very different places. They just missed out on survival and with a bit of a tweak to the playing staff they should EXPECT to come back up.

We were miles off the pace, we'd probably have got relegated from the Championship on last seasons form. We need a complete overhaul on and off the field and then need it all to gel. We can't kid ourselves that just because we're Aston Villa we'll be there or there abouts at the end of the season. I see Villa coming back as a 2-3 year project because we're starting from scratch.

Sadly you could well be right! My only hope is that the takeover and subsequent injection of money, may speed up our prospects/return to the big league.  

• Like 1

Newcastle will easily win the league but it doesn't affect us any way. If I were a Norwich fan I'd be concerned because I can see them pushing for the automatic spots alongside Newcastle, Brighton and Derby. We won't be anywhere near the top 2 so it really doesn't concern us. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so confident that Newcaslte will win the league. They'll defend well but they struggle to score unless they buy in some strikers. Benitez is a great appoinment for them though, miles better than anyone we'll get.

• Like 1

Benitez staying for NUFC is huge. I am convinced they will win the league as they will be keeping whoever Rafa wants to keep and then adding. Ashley is gambling though, apparently there will be an overdraft set up to give Rafa the funds he wants but am pretty sure they will come out of this smelling of roses. I'll take a nervy play-off victory to get us back up.

Newcastle actually have some very good players. True, they have some awful ones too, but we haven't got anyone anywhere near the quality of Shelvey, Townsend or Wijnaldum for example. They will buy well too and I can't for the life of me see them spending anymore than one season in the Championship. For me, they are about as nailed on as anyone has ever been to win that league. 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

I wouldn't be so confident that Newcaslte will win the league. They'll defend well but they struggle to score unless they buy in some strikers. Benitez is a great appoinment for them though, miles better than anyone we'll get.

Mitrovic is a headcase but he scored what 7-8 goals in premier league and he missed about 5 open goals so could've easily had double figures.

League where defences and basic marking is much poorer think he'll get 15-20 no problem.

Newcastle will definitely have a better chance than us but I don't see why we should just resign ourselves to a play-off place at best. If things go well in the summer there's no reason why we can't push for 1st/2nd.

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

no one else wanted him then...

i still think norwich could surprise us and newcastle next season

Thats my worry tbh. I make Norwich favourites for the league as i think their squad is much more suited to the league, and stable. 

I also think Newcastle are currently more likely than ourselves to mount a challenge so as it stands, i can't see automatic promotion.  

Automatic promotion is a definite possibility, how much of a possibility will depend on how our summer goes though. It's not as if the favorites always finish where people expect them to.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Mitrovic is a headcase but he scored what 7-8 goals in premier league and he missed about 5 open goals so could've easily had double figures.

League where defences and basic marking is much poorer think he'll get 15-20 no problem.

Cameron Jerome has been a top class Championsip striker 

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

But they need an entire new defence and probably midfield. It won't be that easy for them.

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

But they need an entire new defence and probably midfield. It won't be that easy for them.

Newcastle need a new defence and midfield... but are hot favourites to return... ?

What I have learned over the last few weeks is that very few people (me included) actually understand the Championship at all.

They have a good side but I wonder how they will cope with cold away games at Rotherham, Brentford, Preston etc. I know they got promoted in 2009/2010 but that team and management was very different – they won’t have many of players who have experienced the trials and tribulations of the championship.  So why they have the advantage with a more settled team, one thing in our favour is we can build a team specifically for the championship bringing in proven championship players. Just looking for positives but this could be important.

I am interested to see who goes and stays. As they are talking about ashley giving rafa money. It wont be unsustainable if their existing players remain. Therefore there will have to be departures

Â