Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

They're starting games with miley and longstaff in midfield and no CM on the bench 

Football doesn't work like this but you can't judge a guy on not getting top 4 when you give him a squad that isn't top 7

Their new owners and executive team have hardly put a foot wrong so far to be fair, so I'd expect them to give him as long as it takes to get all his regulars back and then give him a decent run of games after that.

15 hours ago, villan95 said:

I think they were punching above their weight last season when they finished 4th. They probably have the 7th or so best squad in the league and things have just balanced out a bit now. It won't stop Howe being under huge pressure though. Potentially a victim of his own success.

One thing's for sure, he won't be allowed to get away with these type of results next season. Losing to promoted teams and going out of the cups early. That repeated in 12 months time and his head will be on the Saudi chopping block as would feel the natural time for a change given their eventual ambitions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

One thing's for sure, he won't be allowed to get away with these type of results next season. Losing to promoted teams and going out of the cups early. That repeated in 12 months time and his head will be on the Saudi chopping block as would feel the natural time for a change given their eventual ambitions.

Just seems to me like the summer would be an obvious time for a change. Presumably he's right up there on England's list so could imagine a scenario where he's kind of 'let go' into the England role without it being acrimonious. 

On 24/12/2023 at 22:16, HanoiVillan said:

Just seems to me like the summer would be an obvious time for a change. Presumably he's right up there on England's list so could imagine a scenario where he's kind of 'let go' into the England role without it being acrimonious. 

He'll be gone in the summer. Jose to Toon as he's leaving Roma so no compensation, and Howe will take the England job.

• Like 1

As I said in the weekend match thread,, Howe has done exactly the opposite of Emery in regards football style and in-game management.

He's pandered to the crowd, playing up their demand for swashbuckling up and at em football even when his squad has been depleted and not managed games by knowing when to up and slow down the tempo.

And it shows, their players look knackered

Probably better for Villa if they keep Howe, he's a limited manager.

Mourinho would also be a disaster.

The only worry is they go for someone like Tuchel who I believe is a good manager and like Emery would have something to prove in the PL.

• Like 3

Their squad is shit, they can put out a great starting 11 but it's paper thin 

Worst thing they can do is go get say mourinho who gets in a couple of loans or goes shopping in the £10m aisle that serves himself short term rather than the club long term but would actually make them better straight away 

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Probably better for Villa if they keep Howe, he's a limited manager.

Mourinho would also be a disaster.

The only worry is they go for someone like Tuchel who I believe is a good manager and like Emery would have something to prove in the PL.

Tuchel is at bayern 

Hansi Flick is out there, he might fancy a well paid easy summer covering the euros though 

5 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

They have got a good squad, it’s just that Eddie Howe has run them into the ground with his style of football.  

Longstaff and miley being 2 of their 3 midfielders when Joe Linton and Tonali are out suggests that they don't... 

I dont even rate schar and burn let alone lascelles, targett or Dummet, I'm sure manquillo is still there somewhere too

They also had Ritchie and Krath on the bench today

That's barely a squad for a top half team let alone a top 4 team 

If they get mourinho in first thing he does is buy 4 x £10m old boys to fill that squad rather than the 1 x £40m player they've been trying to build with

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Tuchel is at bayern 

Hansi Flick is out there, he might fancy a well paid easy summer covering the euros though 

Yeah I know but it won't stop them thinking they could entice him, perhaps.

I hope not though as Tuchel is a good manager.

Â