Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

34 minutes ago, RichW said:

Still a bit frustrating how far ahead Newcastle have got ahead of us in a short space of time. I know they have spent money but so have Villa. Think both clubs sacked Bruce/Smith roughly around the same time and I guess at the time Howe was a risk but at least he had experience of coaching a Premier League team compared to Gerrard. That Gerrard appointment gets more annoying as time goes on. Just shows what can happen when you spend money properly. 

Think I saw earlier on Twitter that Newcastles first 6 games are all on TV so looks like we are going to have the so called “big 7” rammed down our throats now.

Think I read earlier in the thread that the feel good factor there won’t last, I’m sure Eddie Howe will come in for some stick this season as teams will be see them differently but even then they are going to be an attractive project to get an even better manager in. 

They are ahead in attack but thats it in my opinion. 

Would prefer our midfield players to theirs overall every single day 

McGinn ... Longstaff

Kamara ....Tonali

Tielemans ...Bruno

JJ ..Willock

Luiz ...Joelinton

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RichW said:

Still a bit frustrating how far ahead Newcastle have got ahead of us in a short space of time. I know they have spent money but so have Villa. Think both clubs sacked Bruce/Smith roughly around the same time and I guess at the time Howe was a risk but at least he had experience of coaching a Premier League team compared to Gerrard. That Gerrard appointment gets more annoying as time goes on. Just shows what can happen when you spend money properly. 

Think I saw earlier on Twitter that Newcastles first 6 games are all on TV so looks like we are going to have the so called “big 7” rammed down our throats now.

Think I read earlier in the thread that the feel good factor there won’t last, I’m sure Eddie Howe will come in for some stick this season as teams will be see them differently but even then they are going to be an attractive project to get an even better manager in. 

I don’t think they are that far ahead, yet. They obviously will streak ahead due to the media and their owners. But as of now, they are only ahead by getting champions league. I think we have a better team and better manager. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ultimately I think Howe is a limited manager and will get found out...

Emery on the other hand is elite...

I agree about Howe but then after that they will be able to attract an elite manager at the time it does happen which will help keep them up there I feel. 

I don’t want to make comparisons but kinda reminds me of when Man City got rid of Mark Hughes and brought in Mancini who managed to kick start them with a FA Cup and then the Premier League and they’ve not really looked back since. 

Remains to be seen whether Tonali is a good signing or not but I’d imagine going to have to get used to them signing a player each summer that everybody raves about. 

Edited by RichW

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t think they are that far ahead, yet. They obviously will streak ahead due to the media and their owners. But as of now, they are only ahead by getting champions league. I think we have a better team and better manager. 

I think it’s more because of how quickly they managed to do it whereas we have spent a lot of money in the Premier League and have just got 17th, 11th, 14th and 7th to show for it. They were rock bottom when they got took over and managed to still finish above us 2 seasons ago and get Champions League last season. 

I think I just get frustrated at Purslow giving his mate Gerrard the job which has probably set us back. 

Be interesting to see how Newcastle do next season with a different expectations and a Champions League campaign to deal with. They managed to make the most of Liverpool and Chelsea having an off season - I just don’t see them two teams having a bad season. 

Edited by RichW

9 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ultimately I think Howe is a limited manager and will get found out...

Emery on the other hand is elite...

If ref’s actually clamped down on Howe’s aggressive tactics of persistent fouling they’d not have the same success. It’s amazing what the likes of Joelinton and Bruno get away with. 

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

If ref’s actually clamped down on Howe’s aggressive tactics of persistent fouling they’d not have the same success. It’s amazing what the likes of Joelinton and Bruno get away with. 

Dan Burn too, he's an oaf.

On 08/07/2023 at 18:02, MWARLEY2 said:

Kamara ....Tonali

Tielemans ...Bruno

Not a chance.

I like Kamara and Tielemans but Tonali and Bruno any day of the week

Part of me wonders whether Howe has the next step in him.

He strikes me as the type of manager who does well when it's a matter of making average/good players raise their game...but may struggle if he's trying to merge that with some genuine top players. 

Will be interesting to find out.

(Ultimately I hope he crashes and burns though for our sake)

3 minutes ago, May-Z said:

He strikes me as the type of manager who does well when it's a matter of making average/good players raise their game...but may struggle if he's trying to merge that with some genuine top players. 

Will be interesting to find out.

(Ultimately I hope he crashes and burns though for our sake)

If he does then they will just give out and get one of the best managers in the world. They could hire almost anyone they like with the funds they have. Unai aside of course.

12 hours ago, RichW said:

I agree about Howe but then after that they will be able to attract an elite manager at the time it does happen which will help keep them up there I feel. 

I don’t want to make comparisons but kinda reminds me of when Man City got rid of Mark Hughes and brought in Mancini who managed to kick start them with a FA Cup and then the Premier League and they’ve not really looked back since. 

Remains to be seen whether Tonali is a good signing or not but I’d imagine going to have to get used to them signing a player each summer that everybody raves about. 

Yeah but the difference with cuty they didnt have to overcome a monster -like city now.

Newcastle are absolutely miles away from city. They are not even close. 

Even with unlimited money they are up against another club that has unlimited money. So makes it tough to for them. 

Only hope for them is when pep leaves

On 08/07/2023 at 16:17, RichW said:

Still a bit frustrating how far ahead Newcastle have got ahead of us in a short space of time

I think its quite feasible that we finish above them this season. I don't think they're out of sight by a long shot... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is vomit-inducing the amount of Saudia Arabia united shirts I see now in the Midlands. 

This must be stopped at all costs.

Where do they come from?

I don't get it

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is vomit-inducing the amount of Saudia Arabia united shirts I see now in the Midlands. 

This must be stopped at all costs.

By "the Midlands"; around Brum?  There's **** all of them in Nottingham.

They are part of the Top Seven now...

Media are part of the problem too...

Unless they go nuts and start signing more players this Summer in the same bracket as Tonali I think Villa have a chance at keeping pace with them.

I honestly don't rate Howe and believe he will get found out, hopefully it is this coming season.

Â