Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

29 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Well, Chelsea are about to spunk £60m on Gordon. In that context, Isak represents a bargain.

Looking at that  , we are nowhere near the level of that spending power on those level of players ,hopefully we keep trying to develop our youth and fight our way into the top half eventually 

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

They played well and got a big slice of luck along the way. That’s the tightness of the league. That’s also a ludicrous statement. The league is far too varied outside of top six to accurately predict. 

I'd disagree with ludicrous.

Above us last season, have started this season miles better than us. They have unlimited money.

We'll have a new manager to integrate before the end of the season

Where do you see us gaining ground?

For all intents and purposes they'll be part of a top 7 by the end of next season.

9 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

City signed Robinho but after that they were fairly strategic. They had some flops of course 

They had some good signings the first year (Kompany, Zabaleta) but also remember them spending incredible money on likes of Adebayor and Santa Cruz. Had to give both away for free in the end. Wayne Bridge was another flop.

Pretty much all of Newcastle's signings so far have gone straight into 11 and added real value so pretty good transfer rate for first year of their ownership.

8 hours ago, Genie said:

They’re already ahead of us.

By 2 points.

I meant more end of season. They could well get close to 60 points whereas we have the sorry look of team that will just float passively to 40-45 point range unless we sack Gerrard soon.

Just now, VillaChris said:

By 2 points.

I meant more end of season. They could well get close to 60 points whereas we have the sorry look of team that will just float passively to 40-45 point range unless we sack Gerrard soon.

Yeah, I was more thinking about as a club overall. They have a good team unit, good morale, goad manager, good form. The 2 points after 3 games is just an extra poke in the eye for us.

Just now, Genie said:

Yeah, I was more thinking about as a club overall. They have a good team unit, good morale, goad manager, good form. The 2 points after 3 games is just an extra poke in the eye for us.

Well there's still time to do something about it at least. Either sign a top class CM from somewhere in next week or if we lose our next three than board has serious decision to make about this manager with many winnable games in September and October.

If either of that happens we should be back in the shake up. At least Wolves, West Ham and Leicester don't look certs to finish top half now so there's still decent positions to target regardless of what Newcastle are doing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, daft said:

People really do rate Isak that highly? Maybe I am just being home blind here, but I just don’t see him as prolific at all.

Only because he’s signed for Newcastle imo, there’d be quite a bit of discontent if we signed him for £60m I feel

Edited by penguin
  • Like 2

Newcastle apparently part of the big 6 already...or whatever new name they want to give it if they're not dropping United from the group.

Newcastle United may already be part of elite in England, data suggests

Liverpool have the most points per game this year - 2.41, just above champions Manchester City on 2.38. Tottenham, with two points a game, are the only other team above Newcastle.

spacer.png

Side note, we've been crap in 2022.

Edited by MrBlack

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I tell you crazy. 60 million plus the famous addons for Anthony Gordon. The kid's done f*** all.

Starting to think we got robbed on the Chukwuemeka deal. They signed an Italian lad 15 million never played a minute of senior football

17 hours ago, penguin said:

Only because he’s signed for Newcastle imo, there’d be quite a bit of discontent if we signed him for £60m I feel

£60 million on a striker who scored 6 goals last season?! You bet there would be uproar! 

Saudi Transfer inflation at its finest, he is more a £15m signing at a push. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Starting to think we got robbed on the Chukwuemeka deal. They signed an Italian lad 15 million never played a minute of senior football

Would you have preferred the alternative? Get nothing next year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Shows how quickly it can be done if you appoint the right people and get your recruitment right. 

It's odd though. How many people were laughing at the appointment of Howe at the start wondering what on earth they were doing?

I know I was.

• Like 2

I think it’s too early to herald this era at Newcastle a huge success. Yes they had a good run away from relegation last year. So far this season after spending a lot of money they’ve won the same amount of games as us.

It could go either way I think.

Â