Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

at the end of the day, there's a 4 team mini league of dreadful sides that they just need to finish top of. weakening one of those teams massively helps their chances. wood is not a great player, but he's one of the best in that burnley side, so it's a very clever signing even if he rots on the newcastle bench

Hopefully with the £25 million Burnley have something better than Woods in mind they want to purchase.

I mean giving your rivals £25 million to spend also has the potential to strengthen Burnley, it’s not like it’s the end of the transfer window and no time to find a replacement. 

Considering Wood's scoring rate this season, Burnley can have a good gamble on spending half of that on some unknown from Europe and actually being better off both financially and results-wise.

Edited by fightoffyour

12 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Considering Woods’ scoring rate this season, Burnley can have a good gamble on spending half of that on some unknown from Europe and actually being better off both financially and results-wise.

Its Burnley, they will bring in a striker like Jordan Hugill or Steven Fletcher

Pity we didnt wait a week we could have sold them Davis 

• Like 1

Irrationally irritated by people calling him 'Woods'. That's not his name.

Also, 'giving Burnley £25m to spend on a striker' might be a bad move, if literally anyone expected them to buy a good one with the money, but they almost certainly won't.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Hopefully with the £25 million Burnley have something better than Woods in mind they want to purchase.

I mean giving your rivals £25 million to spend also has the potential to strengthen Burnley, it’s not like it’s the end of the transfer window and no time to find a replacement. 

thing is newcastle, with all their billions and seemingly endless amounts that they could pay players, were resorted to triggering chris wood's release clause. if there was a viable replacement, you'd think newcastle would've just signed them instead

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Irrationally irritated by people calling him 'Woods'. That's not his name.

Also, 'giving Burnley £25m to spend on a striker' might be a bad move, if literally anyone expected them to buy a good one with the money, but they almost certainly won't.

Had no idea, I was just copying others. Cheeky edit of my apostrophe's position should appease you now.

True or false: Chris Wood?

• Thanks 1

If Burnley can use the money to find a attacking version of Cornet then this deal will help them more than Newcastle.

Not that I'm desperate for Burnley to do well, they can sod off too.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

If Burnley can use the money to find a attacking version of Cornet then this deal will help them more than Newcastle.

Not that I'm desperate for Burnley to do well, they can sod off too.

Cornet plays up front for them doesn’t he?

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Cornet plays up front for them doesn’t he?

He does? Had him down as a midfielder, he mostly played in defense for Lyon last season but he's mostly played in midfield in France.

Edited by sne

Cornet either plays on the wing or as a striker. He's scored six goals in ten games this season, he picked up an injury which is why he's only played ten, but I think he's back now. if Newcastle wanted to weaken Burnley's attack they probably would have been better off signing him.

• Like 1

I suspect Chris Wood is probably the best they could attract at this point, they are deep in a relegation battle after all. Don't think he's a terrible signing for the club to be honest but he certainly won't be enough to keep them up. Losing Wilson to yet another injury was a real blow to them.

12 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I suspect Chris Wood is probably the best they could attract at this point, they are deep in a relegation battle after all. Don't think he's a terrible signing for the club to be honest but he certainly won't be enough to keep them up. Losing Wilson to yet another injury was a real blow to them.

I think the rumours of PL teams not selling to Newcastle might be true. They've obviously got Trippier from Madrid and Wood was a release clause (Burnley can't do anything). Apart from the usual journalistic nonsense, I can't see any substantial deals with PL clubs being completed.

Aubemyang is an obvious easy (yet expensive) deal for Newcastle to do, along with Origi but not seen anything about deals or fees being closed to agreed.

56 minutes ago, useless said:

Cornet either plays on the wing or as a striker. He's scored six goals in ten games this season, he picked up an injury which is why he's only played ten, but I think he's back now. if Newcastle wanted to weaken Burnley's attack they probably would have been better off signing him.

For sure, but there's absolutely no way Burnley would have sold Cornet, who they only bought this summer, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Â