Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Wow, they are worse than the blouses!! On the off chance that one of their hoodlum are copying and pasting from here again, and that their new messiah loves to talk about the 'facts', how on earth does-

4x league titles, 6x FA Cups, 1x Inter-City Fairs Cup and 30+ England internationals make you a bigger club than-

7x league titles, 7x FA Cups, 5x League Cups, 1x European Cup,  1x European Super Cup and 70+ England internationals ??

We even have twice as many Intertoto Cups as they do! It's not even close....;)

It really frustrates me about football in the Sky era that so many fans think that turnover, wage bil,l profit, & crowd size constitute success. I would much rather tell my grandkids I saw us win the League Cup than the fact that I remembered when we signed Andros Townsend and Jonjo Shelvey for £25 million..... mugs!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

Blimey this set of Newcastle fans (I won't band them all together), seem more obsessed and hate us more than the unmentionables down the road. This is the same website that copied and pasted a load of comments from our pre-match thread onto an article late last season.

'The unmentionables down the road' :crylaugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jenko#4 said:

Wow, they are worse than the blouses!! On the off chance that one of their hoodlum are copying and pasting from here again, and that their new messiah loves to talk about the 'facts', how on earth does-

4x league titles, 6x FA Cups, 1x Inter-City Fairs Cup and 30+ England internationals make you a bigger club than-

7x league titles, 7x FA Cups, 5x League Cups, 1x European Cup,  1x European Super Cup and 70+ England internationals ??

We even have twice as many Intertoto Cups as they do! It's not even close....;)

It really frustrates me about football in the Sky era that so many fans think that turnover, wage bil,l profit, & crowd size constitute success. I would much rather tell my grandkids I saw us win the League Cup than the fact that I remembered when we signed Andros Townsend and Jonjo Shelvey for £25 million..... mugs!!

They really do hate us now for some reason, (oh maybe it's because we relegated them twice) 

but seriously because they have a bigger crowd, bigger turnover (sniggers as that's clutching at straws) they think they are bigger than us. They spent 80m and still got relegated! We spent nothing in January and they ended up in the same destination as us haha

as for bigger fanbase, the on,y have boro send Sunderland close to them (both in premier league) while we have wolves, west brom, blose, forest, while derby and Leicester are not that far either. 

• Like 1

Just spotted this on the BBC buried in amongst the sports news. It looks like they have just spent £5m on a new GK, so maybe they are not as financially hamstrung as thought. Maybe Mike Ashley is going to throw Rafa some money to try and secure promotion back to the PL afterall. Let's be honest, Rafa would probably only have agreed to stay if he would be afforded funds to rebuild.

Newcastle sign new £5m GK

On 6/23/2016 at 18:22, Demitri_C said:

Anyone read this garbage?

The identity of clubs relegated from the Premier League is  always going to be of interest to supporters of Championship clubs but amongst the Aston Villa fans, there are some interesting takes on the coming season.

The Birmingham Mail interviewed Howard Hodgson, a director of the Aston Villa Supporters Trust, after the fixtures were released and this is part of what he had to say:

‘Facing Championship fixtures for the first time in 29 years. A whole new, different challenge where the focus will be on Villa, as the biggest club in the division.

I’d love to say automatic promotion like Graham Taylor managed in 1988 but without knowing how the squad is going to line up at this stage and witnessing what the club has been through in the last 6 seasons, I’d take play offs now, if it was on offer.’

The  interview produced a reaction from other Aston Villa fans with comments including:

‘What exactly is meant by the headline that Villa are the biggest club in the Championship ?

Physically and attendance wise, Villa are not the biggest club in the Championship, Newcastle win that one by a country mile and I will tell you this, Newcastle won’t be closing parts of the stadium, nor sacking half its ground staff either, they will as almost always, have near to and some games, capacity crowds.

If we are talking about our Trophy Cabinet, you are correct, but having a bigger Trophy cabinet, does not make us a bigger club.’

‘Newcastle are owned by Mike Ashley who also owns Sports Direct where everything is supposedly reduced by 70%.

So, if you take 70% off their gates, we’re a bigger club.’

‘Would you like to explain to me why you obviously think we are a bigger club than Newcastle, cos I’d love to further my education.

I am Villa to the core and yes, to me Villa are the Heart and Soul of my footballing life, but I am also a realist.

We deserved exactly what we got and I like many others, am totally surprised it didn’t happen four or five seasons ago and for a very good reason, we have not been a big club for many a year now, but this is a new beginning, perhaps one day soon, we can again shout it out, we are a big club, but until it happens, we aint.’

Talking about which club is the biggest always carries a significant risk of making you look childish but seen as he started it…

Claiming to be the biggest club in the Championship is a bit of a strange one, not exactly something to be proud of when your club has made such a mess of things to end up there.

So who is the ‘biggest’ then, for argument’s sake?

A number of articles recently carried on The Mag, with comments/reaction from fans of Burton Albion, Fulham, Huddersfield Town & Reading, all certainly appear to make clear which team they were looking forward to playing the most this season and who they saw as the biggest draw…and it wasn’t Aston Villa.

When it comes to success, neither club has won anything in the last 20 seasons so a but difficult to argue anything either way on that front.

Newcastle will have more supporters than Aston Villa as usual (last season Newcastle averaged half as many again as Villa – 49k v 33k), NUFC have a bigger stadium, will have a bigger turnover,  a bigger wage bill and hopefully…bigger points total.

- See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/06/aston-villa-fans-worried-burden-biggest-club-championship-newcastle-united/#sthash.GvCbEbhB.dpuf

I love this stuff. So trophy cabinet doesn't matter? So Newcastle are a bigger team than Chelsea too because Newcastle have a larger catchment area? Ridiculous argument.

Edited by PieFacE

That makes it look even more likely that they are going to splash the cash then. If you were on a limited budget, you wouldn't spend a large chunk on a new GK if you already had capable goalkeepers at the club.

While I was googling to see who the 3rd GK Newcastle had, I came across their local paper reporting that Dwight Gayle as possibly on his way for a medical and to secure a £10m deal. Looks like Krul might be on his way along with Andros Townsend.

Newcastle stuff

If he and Gayle sign and the goalkeeper that will be close to £30M they will have spent on three players. Ashley said at one time that the money had gone, but when it comes to it they always spend. That's why I wasn't keen on them getting relegated.

Weren't West Ham in for Ritchie a while back?

I know Newcastle are a bigger club but still surprised if he went there.

I don't think it's a bad thing if they run away with the league, would mean points total for 2nd place will be similar as they'd be beating nearly everyone.

Â