Christian Benteke

Kwan

Back for pre season today, sure Benteke will be having a chat with Mr Lambet and setting his store out, either way we can expect to know more before the end of the week.

Don't think he's back today IIRC

Back for pre season today, sure Benteke will be having a chat with Mr Lambet and setting his store out, either way we can expect to know more before the end of the week.

Don't they all have to be back, our pre-season starts today and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have players coming back as they please?

Don't they all have to be back, our pre-season starts today and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have players coming back as they please?

Guzan is in Chicago right now according to his Twitter but he did have spend a large portion of June training with the US National team so maybe Lambert gave him another week off. 

Guzan is in Chicago right now according to his Twitter but he did have spend a large portion of June training with the US National team so maybe Lambert gave him another week off.

Very strange indeed but maybe a few players got special treatment I guess.

I thought the same thing this morning!  I am wondering why someone thought Benteke might have got extra time off, it's not as if Belgium took part in a tournament :-s

Players who have international duty (competition or friendlies) are normally given an extra bit of time off. Otherwise, they've had a week less on holiday than all the other players.

I'm guessing Benteke, Guzan and whoever else played international friendlies, will be back at a later date..... possibly.

I actually think that 25 million is probably a fair price given what the guy has done. Yes he had a great season, yes he seems like the real deal and yes we all have great hopes for him but we all seem to be forgetting that there have been many other premiership players that have had one barnstorming season and then turned out to destinctly mediocre (Andy Johnson anyone?).

I actually think that 25 million is probably a fair price given what the guy has done. Yes he had a great season, yes he seems like the real deal and yes we all have great hopes for him but we all seem to be forgetting that there have been many other premiership players that have had one barnstorming season and then turned out to destinctly mediocre (Andy Johnson anyone?).

To other teams £25mil might seem like a fair price but when you consider he scored/assisted roughly 45% of our goals last season (iirc) I think to us he's worth a great deal more.

I thought the same thing this morning!  I am wondering why someone thought Benteke might have got extra time off, it's not as if Belgium took part in a tournament :-s

International duty. Each side had around 2/3 friendlies so they got less of a holiday. Full list in the post above mine.

it doesn't matter what his marketvalue is it matters how important he is for the team and since het got 3 years left on his contract. he's going nowhere.

• Like 1

Yes, but this isn't about setting a fair price for interested parties - this is all about saying, "we don't want to sell".   If another club with a wealthy owner wants to land this player, well, they are simply going to have to pay a ridiculous price to make us want to do business. Villa are firmly in the driving seat on this one.  

Generally speaking we have to Ignore the scare-mongering of journalists, they don't have a clue and are trying to generate page hits.  They are coming up with pie-in-the-sky prices for the player when, in reality, they haven't the first idea.

Edited by McGregor1888

Andy Johnson is no Benteke. £40million for Benteke should be the minimum to even answer the phone. 

That's coming from the enraged fan though, not the CFO of Aston Villa FC. As with anything else related to the business of our club, a sale of this player would have to be discussed from what is best for our future. If he wants to stay and we get low bids, well then there is no argument. If he has said to our manager that he wants to leave if possible, then the other club will know that a long time ago and the price would meet the market. 40M is ridiculous, we have never had a player worth that much and probably never will. We got him for 7M and he has scored 19 league goals, his fee is probably near 25M and that almost 4x the amount we paid, a fee that will please our board to matter what. As for all our big players over the last few years and the inevitable sales, this time around I don't feel there is a sale looming at all. He has in no way gone out and hinted he wants to leave and we don't really "need" the money like some drenched up club from France struggling to pay their monthly wages. I have a good feeling he will stay, at least for another year.

So why did we sell Downing for 20million, sometimes I get the feeling that people just think Randy will be an easy salesman on this. Even local journalists such as Moxley and Kendrick have stated that Villa themselves are very calm on the situation as it'll take an offer of above 30million to even get them to talk about it. I'd be very surprised if he is sold for less than 30million.

So why did we sell Downing for 20million, sometimes I get the feeling that people just think Randy will be an easy salesman on this. Even local journalists such as Moxley and Kendrick have stated that Villa themselves are very calm on the situation as it'll take an offer of above 30million to even get them to talk about it. I'd be very surprised if he is sold for less than 30million.

And anyone shelling out £30m+ for someone who has only had one outstanding season in the Prem is taking a big risk. Some fingers have been burned and lessons learned before, I'd imagine (Plop spring to mind).

Â