Christian Benteke

Kwan

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenhams-nabil-bentaleb-set-five-year-5876747

Now Pochettino is also looking to re­inforce his front line with Christian Benteke as his top target.

The Aston Villa striker flourished under the management of Tim Sherwood and has been the subject of much speculation with Liverpool among the front runners to land him.

Spurs are also keen – but it is unlikely that chairman Daniel Levy will sanction a £32.5million bid to trigger Benteke’s transfer clause.

It appears Levy is unlikely to go above £25m for one player – but Andros Townsend could be used as a make­weight in any deal.

Villa manager Sherwood knows all about Townsend from his time at Spurs and a cash offer plus the England winger could be enough to lure Benteke away.

extract from The Mirror (amongst Bentaleb contract piece)

£25m plus Townsend wouldn't be bad business IMO (as long as £15m of that didn't go and fund a move for Reg Vardy!!!!)

Personally, I'd rather Benteke stay and we go in for Townsend anyway!

• Like 1

I'd go for £25m + Townsend if that was a genuine offer. Considering Benteke's recent performances (Belgium & FA Cup Final), it's starting to feel like we won't get the full £32.5m that we want. Would it be better to accept an offer like this, or sell him next summer with one year on his contract, when the most we will probably be hoping for will be £20/25m anyway.

I'd prefer £25m + Dembele, but if Townsend is the only player they wanted to swap, I'd still go for it. Young, potential, England caps, Sherwood has worked with him previously and he could slot in to replace N'Zogbia straight away.

He scored 1 in 2 in the most dire Villa side i've ever seen.

Imagine him getting service from the likes of Fabregas and Hazard.

football doesnt exactly work like that. Such a simplistic view the way you think its transferable.  

Its like saying Darrel Bent would have been a 35+ goal striker in his peak for arsenal because he scored over 20 goal in a season for a shit team. Amazing they decided to not pursue such a goal return....

I think we can improve without Benteke. Its all about other playings sharing the goals if needed and using the team more effectively and using everyones strengths to benefit the team rather than go the Stoke Way and hoof it to the big, tall dude

Personally if we do sell him, i'd get in Austin, Bamford or Wilson and buy players to supplement them

If Benteke is dead set on leaving we have to get the best price for him - this wouldn't be a bad deal IMO (wouldn't mind Dembele either as a replacement for Cleverley).

Would people rather retain a player who doesn't want to be here (and may not try that hard on the pitch) or cash in to the best available value and recruit players that want to be here?

• Like 1

No way is Townsend worth 7.5m, and why should we take less than 32.5 m .?

For me, I'd prefer the money invested in the team. When Benteke has an off day (and let's face it, they've started to become more and more frequent), we look dreadful, as we're set up for him to do all the scoring.

If he stays this summer, then great, we keep one of our best players in a long time, but then what money so we get for him next summer? If he has an absolutely blinding season, then what's the best we can hope for? £25m? We're not going to still say 'release clause or nothing', because we'll just lose him for free the next summer.

Also, I know Vlaar and Benteke are completely different scenarios, but last summer we were all hoping we could hang on to Vlaar. Whereas, in hindsight, if we'd had a £10m offer for him, we'd have been better taking it. I feel like that needs to be considered when any official offers come in for Benteke.

• Like 2

Would people rather retain a player who doesn't want to be here (and may not try that hard on the pitch) or cash in to the best available value and recruit players that want to be here?

He isn't going to do that with the Euros' coming up. He was devastated to miss out on the WC, this would mean a lot to him. I still maintain someone will pay the clause, once Sterling has gone to Man City it should start the process.

football doesnt exactly work like that. Such a simplistic view the way you think its transferable.  

Its like saying Darrel Bent would have been a 35+ goal striker in his peak for arsenal because he scored over 20 goal in a season for a shit team. Amazing they decided to not pursue such a goal return....

Because they look at bit deeper in to it than just a goal return

We signed guy whittingham, when we should have signed his partner paul Walsh......we signed Tony cascarion,when we should have signed his partner teddy shearing ham.....we have always gone for goal stats instead of guile.

Perhaps we did get it right with luc Nilis only to be thwarted by injury.

Listen to mourinho's take on this subject , about strikers who must have service and strikers who can survive without much of it.

Edited by TRO

We signed guy whittingham, when we should have signed his partner paul Walsh......we signed Tony cascading, when we should have signed his partner teddy shearing ham.....we have always gone for goal stats instead of guile.

Perhaps we did get it right with luc Nilis only to be thwarted by injury.

Listen to mourinho's take on this subject , about strikers who must have service and strickers who can survive without much of it.

cutting-ham.jpg

• Like 2

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenhams-nabil-bentaleb-set-five-year-5876747

Now Pochettino is also looking to re­inforce his front line with Christian Benteke as his top target.

The Aston Villa striker flourished under the management of Tim Sherwood and has been the subject of much speculation with Liverpool among the front runners to land him.

Spurs are also keen – but it is unlikely that chairman Daniel Levy will sanction a £32.5million bid to trigger Benteke’s transfer clause.

It appears Levy is unlikely to go above £25m for one player – but Andros Townsend could be used as a make­weight in any deal.

Villa manager Sherwood knows all about Townsend from his time at Spurs and a cash offer plus the England winger could be enough to lure Benteke away.

extract from The Mirror (amongst Bentaleb contract piece)

£25m plus Townsend wouldn't be bad business IMO (as long as £15m of that didn't go and fund a move for Reg Vardy!!!!)

Personally, I'd rather Benteke stay and we go in for Townsend anyway!

This is so not going to happen. The article suggests that Levy won't pay more than £25m for a player and the release clause is £32.5m. Added to that they probably value Townsend at some crazy price.

I also seriously doubt that Spurs are a big enough club, just like Liverpool.

Usual bollox from the Mirror.

We take the piss out of other teams fans for being delusional and having no clue and then we say Townsend isn't worth 7.5 million? Yet we want 32.5m for benteke? OK.

Edited by Ingram85

It's not exactly transferable but you'd expect he could at least match his 1 in 2 record at a club like Chelsea and have a Drogbaesque career. He's played in the premier league and we know he can handle premier league defences.

Â