Christian Benteke

Kwan

better than giroud 

He just really isnt for a side like Arsenal. For a villa side he is. But not for arsenal/most top 4

i think he is, giroud is nothing special IMO certainly not going to get them the goals to win them the league or influence games in the same way that the likes of costa / rooney / aguero can and either way arsenal expect way too much from him, they signed welbeck but he's rarely played up top, so giroud's back up is sanogo or campbell

benteke actually has a better scoring ratio than giroud despite the injuries and playing in a much weaker team

looks like lukaku has himself a new agent and is making noise about playing in europe too, could be good for us, if he plays up and becomes available hopefully others will look at him instead, or at the very least evertons no doubt ridiculous valuation of him will actually make our £32m look half sensible so we can hold out for a figure i doubt anyone would pay

Does everyone think that Christian Benteke represents good value for £32.5m?

As in, if Benteke played for Sunderland and we were offering £32.5m for him, would we be pleased as fans?

With the record TV deal and clubs already having spunked upwards of £30m on the likes of  Fellaini,Mangala,Fernandinho, Luke Shaw and Lukaku in the past 2 years?

vB9B5.gif

i think he is, giroud is nothing special IMO certainly not going to get them the goals to win them the league or influence games in the same way that the likes of costa / rooney / aguero can and either way arsenal expect way too much from him, they signed welbeck but he's rarely played up top, so giroud's back up is sanogo or campbell

benteke actually has a better scoring ratio than giroud despite the injuries and playing in a much weaker team

Giroud is easily the most under rated striker in the prem by fans it looks like. why are you bringing costa/rooney/aguero into this when the debate is clearly if Benteke is better than giroud?

It frustrates me when people say "Benteke has scored X amount for villa who play in a worse team, imagine what he could do for a top4 team" (or similar line of thinking) as if its transferable to when players move to top teams. He just wont get nowhere near the space playing for arsenal than what he does playing for villa (youll probably make argument that he gets double marked when playing for villa, but he also doesnt have 10men behind the ball nearly every single game like arsenal do). Benteke would cripple so so so many of Arsenals attacks due to poor touch and slow moving of the ball (whilst these may be good or good enough for villa...it just isnt for Arsenal). Giroud is so elite at playing in tight spaces with 1 touch passing that arsenal midfield goalscoring record would dip as a result of playing benteke.

There goal scoring record isnt THAT much different and you appear to be ignoring (or not mentioning) giroud injury problems aswell. Theres a reason why Mou didnt like Lukaku. Theres a reason why Bony transfer looks the most bizarre transfer and just doesnt fit in the Man City squad at all. Because theyre all brute force strikers with poor touch/link up play who looks way better playing for more "lesser" teams than they do for elite teams

I would obviously prefer benteke for villa than giroud though

Oh one last thing. Arsenal really arnt lacking in goals that they need an elite goal scorer (and only that, as in. a 25goal prem striker offering not much in their attacks) to make the difference between title/nontitle. The difference is not having Per.Mert and  having coquillin at start of the season (or someone similar to Coq) and probably keeping Ramsay fit. Goalkeeper would help

Edited by gharperr

looks like lukaku has himself a new agent and is making noise about playing in europe too, could be good for us, if he plays up and becomes available hopefully others will look at him instead, or at the very least evertons no doubt ridiculous valuation of him will actually make our £32m look half sensible so we can hold out for a figure i doubt anyone would pay

As in, if Benteke played for Sunderland and we were offering £32.5m for him, would we be pleased as fans?

100% yes I do. In a good team he'll get you 20-25 goals a season guaranteed, and at 24 you could even still feasibly make a profit selling him on in 2-3 years time.
But that's not what I'm asking ;)

As an Aston Villa fan, in our current state, would a £32.5m Benteke from Sunderland be considered "good value"?

I'm only wondering because pretty much everyone seems to want to cling on to keeping Benteke (and rightly so from a playing point of view) but £32.5m is a huge wedge - especially to us.

(Obviously this opens up a wider issue of how much we'd actually have to spend from this etc, but still...)

No because we can't afford to gamble that amount of money. However, the likely teams in the race to sign him will be in a better position to spend. Even Liverpool.

Irrelevant. Let me break it down more...

What is worth more to Aston Villa right now - £32.5m or having Christian Benteke?

You haven't broken your initial hypothetical down at all. You've just asked a completely different question! [emoji1]
  • Like 1

100% yes I do. In a good team he'll get you 20-25 goals a season guaranteed, and at 24 you could even still feasibly make a profit selling him on in 2-3 years time.
But that's not what I'm asking ;)

As an Aston Villa fan, in our current state, would a £32.5m Benteke from Sunderland be considered "good value"?

I'm only wondering because pretty much everyone seems to want to cling on to keeping Benteke (and rightly so from a playing point of view) but £32.5m is a huge wedge - especially to us.

(Obviously this opens up a wider issue of how much we'd actually have to spend from this etc, but still...)

No because we can't afford to gamble that amount of money. However, the likely teams in the race to sign him will be in a better position to spend. Even Liverpool.

Irrelevant. Let me break it down more...

What is worth more to Aston Villa right now - £32.5m or having Christian Benteke?

You haven't broken your initial hypothetical down at all. You've just asked a completely different question! [emoji1]

Yeah, I noticed that as well. 

• Like 1

a lot of big clubs will watch the game Saturday and think if that really is a player for them. That was a game set up for him to dominate and he didnt turn up. His record against the bigger teams is pretty hit and miss. Good record against Liverpool but he has struggled against other top teams and Spurs in his time in the league

• Like 1

Benteke: you dont want to play here and i dont want you here.

Get out of my club you mercenary

What footballer isnt a mercenary? Did you honestly think when he joined he was a die-hard Villa fan that would stay his entire career here?

• Like 1

It's a bargain for the buying club. If you can't afford Benteke at half price, then you shouldn't be shopping for one of the best strikers in the world.

He really isn't, not even close.

• Like 2

Hey he's given us three years  and without him we'd be in the championship. He has done it against the bigger clubs as well. Man U this season, Arsenal last. I'm sure theres other games as well. 

a lot of big clubs will watch the game Saturday and think if that really is a player for them. That was a game set up for him to dominate and he didnt turn up. His record against the bigger teams is pretty hit and miss. Good record against Liverpool but he has struggled against other top teams and Spurs in his time in the league

Scored 2 against Man Ure this season. Also got the winner at Spurs. He's also got a few goals against Arsenal and Chelsea in the past. I think his record is actually fairly respectable against the top teams. 

Hey he's given us three years  and without him we'd be in the championship. He has done it against the bigger clubs as well. Man U this season, Arsenal last. I'm sure theres other games as well.

Yeah ill wish him the best when he leaves. Owes us nothing and has kept us up for 3 seasons. He could have pushed for a move in 2013 and signed a new deal. No Barry or Downing thats for sure.

Yeah ill wish him the best when he leaves. Owes us nothing and has kept us up for 3 seasons. He could have pushed for a move in 2013 and signed a new deal. No Barry or Downing thats for sure.

or even Milner  :)

• Like 2

Â