Christian Benteke

Kwan

FWIW, I reckon if we sign Adebayor, which we might, then he will probably be as consistent as Benteke is.

I love CB, but he is a purple patch player, like many strikers. We will not get anyone better than him, but we might be able to get close to him.

Adebayor is in his 30s now so a lot older than Benteke and blimey just look at his recent facebook posts, the bloke is in no sane state to play football at this moment.

Don't touch him with a bargepole please Tim.

• Like 1

These sides still sign them though....

Now the release clause is known....some will cough up 32m, it's inevitable now imo.

I am not sure any club will cough up £32m after today's performance.

It will once a big move comes through. Man. City will probably bid something ridiculous like 50m for Raheem Sterling and that will give Liverpool the funds to act like kids in a sweet shop like last summer when they were signing Lallana and Lovren from Southampton for 40 odd million combined.

These sides still sign them though....

Now the release clause is known....some will cough up 32m, it's inevitable now imo.

I am not sure any club will cough up £32m after today's performance.
Don't be silly

FWIW, I reckon if we sign Adebayor, which we might, then he will probably be as consistent as Benteke is.

I love CB, but he is a purple patch player, like many strikers. We will not get anyone better than him, but we might be able to get close to him.

Adebayor is in his 30s now so a lot older than Benteke and blimey just look at his recent facebook posts, the bloke is in no sane state to play football at this moment.

I'm not saying he's my first choice, but I suspect if we can get him for £5m, and he can do a job for a couple of seasons, then he's the kind of player we will be be looking at.

Likewise, we will probably be in for Ricky Lambert. Regardless of Benteke staying or not.

Replacing Benteke with Adebayor??  Haven't we learnt from replacing Yorke with Joachim.

You should go back and look at the stats for how well JJ did for us. He scored a decent amount of goals, certainly more than Gabby.

Obviously he wasn't the same class as Yorke, but unfortunately the sliding scale we are on is that when he lose one of our best players, we don't replace them with someone better.

I'm not saying he's my first choice, but I suspect if we can get him for £5m, and he can do a job for a couple of seasons, then he's the kind of player we will be be looking at.

Likewise, we will probably be in for Ricky Lambert. Regardless of Benteke staying or not.

Ricky Lambert looked good at Southampton but he's another in his 30s and the edge has gone off his game at Liverpool, we've signed plenty of players in recent years who've hardly played for a top 4 club and done nothing for us.

I'd just go for Charlie Austin, yes he dosen't have Benteke's star quality, who does that we can realistically get but the boy scores goals. Think he could do a similar job to Dublin after Yorke left and we'll need all the goals we get next season if Benteke isn't there anymore.

We can't be so reliant on the form of one player.

I hope somebody still pays 32 mill for him and we invest that money into three decent players.

If we have £30m already to spend, then obviously I would rather keep him and then spend the £30m elsewhere.

If we have minimal funds, as has been the case previously, then I probably agree with you, if we can sell him for £32m and we have all of those funds available to spend, then are probably at the point where we should do it.

If the latter though, I would rather we brought some of the new players in first though, because once we have £30m burning a hole in our pockets, we will end up paying inflated prices.

• Like 1

Ricky Lambert looked good at Southampton but he's another in his 30s and the edge has gone off his game at Liverpool, we've signed plenty of players in recent years who've hardly played for a top 4 club and done nothing for us.

I'd just go for Charlie Austin, yes he dosen't have Benteke's star quality, who does that we can realistically get but the boy scores goals. Think he could do a similar job to Dublin after Yorke left and we'll need all the goals we get next season if Benteke isn't there anymore.

He's probably attainable in terms of none of the big boys being interested in him. Ings is being linked with Spurs and Liverpool, but no-one is being linked with Austin.

I reckon £15m would do it, and QPR will most likely have to cash in.

It would be great to get Austin and not have to sell Benteke though.

Regarding Lambert and Adebayor - it will be interesting to see what Sherwood's policy is in the transfer market. Is he just going to go for young and hungry players who he can drill the winning mentality into (he has alluded to the losing mentality which we currently have), or will he be going for experience. Dont forget that Dublin was no spring chicken when we signed him - I believe he was 29 and turned 30 not long after.

Edited by GeordieVillan

I'll be sad to see him go, but right now, I think we need the £32m more than we need him.

£32m plus whatever Randy can plump up (£10m-£15m if we're lucky), could help Sherwood bring in some quality additions to start to build his own team.

There's only so much you can do with the same diagonal ball into the box every single time. Especially when you've got Per Mertesacker cutting it out every time.

• Like 2

I thought he was poor today but that could've been due to TS's tactics.

If it was his last game it was a damp squib to go out on.

I just hope if we sell him we get the right amount and it's used on top of the transfer budget to replenish a squad that clearly isn't good enough to challenge for anything other than relegation.

I thought he was poor today but that could've been due to TS's tactics.

If it was his last game it was a damp squib to go out on.

I just hope if we sell him we get the right amount and it's used on top of the transfer budget to replenish a squad that clearly isn't good enough to challenge for anything other than relegation.

I'd say it was Mertesacker that controlled benteke today, was clearly told to man mark which he did excellently the whole game and even showed Benteke how it's done down the other end when the roles were reversed!

Unlikely but hoping his not having the best of games today has put a few people off signing so we can keep him for another season :)

Â