Christian Benteke

Kwan

32.5m will be the starting figure. 

No it won't.

Not if it's a proper buy out clause.

You can't have a bidding war if there's a buy out clause. That's the whole point. As long as a club meets that fee then it's up to the player. Aston Villa won't have a say in the matter.

If the buy out clause is £32.5 million then that's the most we'll get for him.

• Like 1

Look we all knew it was likely he was going sooner or later and potentially this summer right?  32.5M seems a fair price,  if we get a player as well then ok to the deal.

Get a hat trick tomorrow ,  win us the cup then go in the summer enabling us to rebuild with his fee and any more the club can provide (maybe another 18M?) and who can honestly complain?

• Like 1

No it won't.

You can't have a bidding war if there's a buy out clause. That's the whole point. As long as a club meets that fee then it's up to the player. Aston Villa won't have a say in the matter.

thats not the case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26414167

Liverpool owner admitted that Suarez's buy out clause was £40m - but they sold him for about £65-£70m in the end.

EDIT: just noticed that Liverpool sold Suarez after he had signed a new contract with them - so no idea if such a clause was in his new contract.

Edited by DrUnKeNbUm
  • Like 1

No it won't.

thats not the case.

Liverpool owner admitted that Suarez's buy out clause was £40m - but they sold him for about £65-£70m in the end.

EDIT: just noticed that Liverpool sold Suarez after he had signed a new contract with them - so no idea if such a clause was in his new contract.

Yep, they sold him on a new contract.

And I prefaced my post above with "if it's a proper buy out clause"

From that article

but Liverpool insisted last summer that there was nothing in Suarez's contract obliging them to sell the player.

Which would indicate that whatever that clause was, it wasn't binding. Which is what I meant by a "proper" buy out clause.

No it won't.

thats not the case.

I think Suarez's agent just **** up on the contract tbf.

A buy out clause is generallly a buy out clause yo.

No it won't.

thats not the case.

Yep, they sold him on a new contract.

And I prefaced my post above with "if it's a proper buy out clause"

From that article

but Liverpool insisted last summer that there was nothing in Suarez's contract obliging them to sell the player.

Which would indicate that whatever that clause was, it wasn't binding. Which is what I meant by a "proper" buy out clause.

As long as Randy/Tom Fox  or Tim Sherwood sign up to twitter after any inital bid from Liverpool and put "what are they smoking at Anfield?" then im good.

• Like 1

Didnt Suarez want to go to Arsenal after they met his buyout clause? I thought he did cant remember how Liverpool blocked the move in the end??

I think that was the point people were making. it wasn't a 'proper' buy out clause and more of an agreement which probably wasn't binding.

I think the best we can hope for is that he takes Sherwood's advice and stays for one more season. Hopefully we can then get him to agree to a new deal on more money but with a higher release clause...... Dream land right?

A buy out clause which says "if a club bids X pounds we will agree to talk to them further" is not the same as "If a club bids X pounds you can talk to them"

• Like 1

Didnt Suarez want to go to Arsenal after they met his buyout clause? I thought he did cant remember how Liverpool blocked the move in the end??

I think that was the point people were making. it wasn't a 'proper' buy out clause and more of an agreement which probably wasn't binding.

I think the best we can hope for is that he takes Sherwood's advice and stays for one more season. Hopefully we can then get him to agree to a new deal on more money but with a higher release clause...... Dream land right?

The BBC article above suggest that John Henry just decided not to sell, he admitted there was a £40m buyout clause but still rejected the offer from Arsenal, but as others have said, it was probably more of a gentlemans agreement and liverpool came out of the situation looking strong.

buyout clause or not... I just dont want Benteke going to Liverpool. seeing him in a black armband every other week would really get to me.

No issues with benteke leaving whatsoever, but to LIverpool!? The guy is too good for them and deserves champions league football.

I think Chelsea, so he can hook up with his buddy hazard. Perfect type drogba striker for Jose.

As long as a club meets that fee then it's up to the player. Aston Villa won't have a say in the matter.

That's not entirely true. There's a minimum fee clause, but we'd have to agree the TERMS of payment with the offering team. For example if someone offered us 32.5m over 8 years, we're not going to agree to it, even though they've met the release fee

As long as a club meets that fee then it's up to the player. Aston Villa won't have a say in the matter.

That's not entirely true. There's a minimum fee clause, but we'd have to agree the TERMS of payment with the offering team. For example if someone offered us 32.5m over 8 years, we're not going to agree to it, even though they've met the release fee

Which is exactly the kind of shit they would try and pull.Remember the Barry farce ''here's some of our shit players for your captain '' 

I just hope he goes somewhere that can appreciate what a complete beast of a forward he is and can play in front of fans that actually appreciate him and love him as much as we do

Liverpool can just fock off

Possible explanations:

- Liverpool have made an offer of more than 32.5m but Sherwood rightly doesn't want to sell to them.

- No offers yet, but expected, and Sherwood doesn't want to sell to Liverpool but expects to have to sell to somebody.

- It's all about the FA Cup final: Sherwood wants Benteke to be as motivated as possible, even if it means probably having to sell him.

- Some combination of these

Anyone else got any?

• Like 1

Because of the comments by him at the time, I have been waiting for him to go ever since he arrived. To be honest, I am getting really bored with this charade every window. It is a shame that there is a buy out clause, but I think a £25m return for a £7m outlay is pretty good, especially as we have managed to retain his services for as long as we have. And at least there will be no ridiculously cheap bids for him.

And I can understand that Sherwood may think he could start rebuilding this team with that money right at the beginning of his tenure, so giving him more chance of success.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer him to stay, but that is just postponing the inevitable, unfortunately, and we have to bite the bullet some time.

I am a `glass half full' guy, and I prefer to look for positives in any situation.

At the very least it will be a £150m return surely

We would have been playing Championship football at some point if it wasn't for Christian.

Of course. But I just went for round figures, as a talking point really, did not even allow for salaries.

I do agree with what you say, although it is theoretical it is probably correct.

Anyway, we can certainly agree that we have done well out of it, and should have the profits (hopefully) to rebuild when/if he does go.

I think it's good news he has this clause.

We ain't getting less than 32 m for him now.

That's his price take it or leave it. It's a lot but it's also reasonable in today's market.

I just pray it's not liverpool. He's better than that and he can be guaranteed football at a champs league club.

He knows the final is his last game and Im sure he will be wanting to play his heart out and leave us with a parting goal or three.

What a great signing he has been.

Thank you Paul!

And Paddy. Now go find us some more.

Â